Paperback or Hardcover?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
mredmond626
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mredmond626.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Re: Paperback or Hardcover?

Post by mredmond626 »

I love hardcover...the smell, the weight. Typically I find myself with paperbacks though - easier to tuck in my purse to read waiting for trains or kid's sports games
Chandler_Greg
Currently Reading: Beneath the Kauri Tree
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandler-greg.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Chandler_Greg »

I read a lot in bed. Paperbacks are lighter. My Kindle even lighter - and I can make the font as big as I want.

I used to think of hardcovers as "real" books, so bought them for books I planned to hold on to. Now that I'm older and trying not to hold on to much (after several moves the last decade), I prefer the light weight and smaller volume of paper.
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

I love holding paperbacks because they feel like a real book. But if you want your books to last longer, you have to get the hardcovers. If I had a lot of money, I'd buy both versions. The hardcovers will be on my bookshelves looking pretty while the paperbacks will be the ones I devour :techie-studyingbrown: :lol:
taffylee81
Favorite Book: King of Ashes
Currently Reading: Scales of Empire
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taffylee81.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by taffylee81 »

I have so many of each. I’m not a big fan of hardbacks as I hate the dust covers and they always get damaged a little bit, but I have heaps because when a book in a series comes out that I’ve been waiting for I’m often too impatient to wait for either the trade paperback or the smaller paperback. Hardcovers are also heavier and take up more shelf space which is a problem when you only have a limited amount of space for your books.

Paperbacks, on the other hand are damaged easier and don’t hold up as well over time. A few of my oldest ones are looking a bit worse for wear, despite the fact that I look after my books really well, whereas my hardbacks form around the same time are still in really good condition.
Nmanchado2018
Favorite Author: Tami Hoag
Currently Reading: Secrets to the Grave
Bookshelf Size: 47
fav_author_id: 3744

Post by Nmanchado2018 »

I like both but i found out recently that hardcovers are better to hold and read. I also have been starting to read Large print because sometimes the library doesnt have my books i read in regular type, so most of the large print are hardcovers. It has been easyer on my eyes as well. Lol
Nicole
JoeyG01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by JoeyG01 »

I prefer paperbacks, I find them easier to hold and handle and also easier to take with you on the go
dianabooks
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by dianabooks »

I like both so I dont mind which one I get. I mostly who get paperbacks because its the cheapest options.
HarleenQuinzel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harleenquinzel.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by HarleenQuinzel »

This is a tough question for me! I find that with hardcover, the external paper that covers it often gets ruined. I also like to pick the cheaper option and therefore choose the paperback more often. As an honorary mention, I like using my Kindle app as well. Sometimes the amount of light projected can irritate my eyes so I often just turn the brightness down. I like the convenience of the Kindle but nothing beats holding a good book!
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kareka88 »

If I am starting a brand new new series I love hardbacks and will purchase all of the series in hardback. I will also purchase a hardback if it is a classic or I think it will become a classic. For example, I have all of the Harry Potter books in Hardcover. However if it is a one off or an older publication I like paperbacks because they are cheaper and I prefer them for traveling because they weigh less and are easier to handle and pack.
NicholeK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by NicholeK »

I'm a paperback girl. They are easier to hold when reading!
Hannah_Vibbert
Currently Reading: Five Knocks
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by Hannah_Vibbert »

Oooo this is a hard one! I love books no matter what their format, but I think I usually buy paperbacks. The paperbacks tend to be cheaper and easier to carry around (since they are so lightweight). I will buy hardbacks if they are for a collection or an especially beautiful edition of one of my favorites, but I seriously HATE dust jackets....they always get torn up or taken off and eventually lost, unless you never read the book and it just sits on your shelf.
Raya raymond
Currently Reading: One for the Road
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raya-raymond.html
Latest Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Post by Raya raymond »

Definitely paperback
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I would prefer a hardcover book over a paperback. It seems that hardcover books are easier to hold.
Chelsea N. Hackett
pixiequeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pixiequeer.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by pixiequeer »

Hmm...I like hardcover for preservation purposes and paper for reading, just because they're more comfortable to handle and hold while reading.
dbulkley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dbulkley.html
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

Post by dbulkley »

Generally, I prefer paperback. However, if it is a book I really want to read I will buy it in whichever it is released first. If it's a collection or series I will typically have them all in hardback if available.
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”