Paperback or Hardcover?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
CaptainTurtle8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-captainturtle8.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Paperback or Hardcover?

Post by CaptainTurtle8 »

I prefer hardcover because I tend to take my books with me wherever I go and they can take a little more of the wear and tear of handling. If I'm getting it from the library, I'll take whatever is available.
angelmuktar
Currently Reading: The Binding Stone
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by angelmuktar »

Paperback for sure. The bag I carry around everywhere with me contains everything and anything. However, I never seem to ever, and I mean ever, for a hardcover book in it. it has to be the most frustrating thing in the world because I love to have a book with me always so I can read on the go. So, if I can get my hands on a paperback I do.
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by emidio125 »

I like more real and touchable books.
theprakriti
Currently Reading: The Glass Hotel
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theprakriti.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by theprakriti »

Hardcover is the best. I love hardcovers but the thing is they are more expensive. Also, sometimes the editions do not have as pretty covers as paperback. So, it depends individually on editions whether I should buy them or not.
Pureader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pureader.html
Latest Review: Cat Boss by Tayma Tameem

Post by Pureader »

Paperback. I don't have a particular reason why, but I think old, battered paperbacks look so cool. You know they've been loved.
Ink-Drinker-13
Currently Reading: Peace and Turmoil
Bookshelf Size: 492
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ink-drinker-13.html
Latest Review: Shadow Game by A.M. Adair
Reading Device: B07K1RZWMC

Post by Ink-Drinker-13 »

I prefer paperback more often than not. Smaller books I'm fine with being hardback but bigger books are just a hassle.
Alecza_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alecza.html
Latest Review: Honesty is Key by Tayma Tameem

Post by Alecza_ »

Oooh... I mostly read e-books but I do have a bunch of books from the second hand store. Paperbacks although cheap, I feel like they could be damaged easily. I'd choose hardcovers over paperbacks anytime if I could afford it. :techie-studyingbrown:
Aud0119
Currently Reading: Nathaniel's Gift
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aud0119.html
Latest Review: The Silence of Ray by Karen Fletcher

Post by Aud0119 »

I usually prefer paperback because they are cheaper but if I am getting a version of one of my favorite books to keep, it can be nice to have it in hardback!

Pronouns: xe/xem/xyr
dcruzsammy
Currently Reading: Wilderness Cry
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dcruzsammy.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by dcruzsammy »

Ideally, I'd go for a hardcover because I personally think it will last longer, and doesn't it just make your book collection look better? But my budget screams paperback, and that's not bad at all.
Valerie Garske
Currently Reading: the girl who know Davanci
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-garske.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Valerie Garske »

It was always paperback, but now I am 100% Kindle. I did not think I would convert, but now that I have I really love it. So easy on my eyes. I can make notes. Funny thing is, I still won't get rid of my books. My shelves are still packed. Old friends, you know.
Excel 2021
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excel-2021.html
Latest Review: Trauma by Cynthia Fridsma

Post by Excel 2021 »

I read a lot of books. 8 don't fancy the container that carries them. I care more about the content
HaloWarrior
Currently Reading: Law of Attraction: How to Manifest Money, Desires, Love Using The Law of Attraction
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by HaloWarrior »

Decodemymessage wrote: 01 Mar 2009, 19:53 Which do you prefer? I am neutral and have both. Lol. When ever I get a series though I tend to get them all in paperback or hardcover. I know... I'm a snob. :roll: :lol:
I think buying a hardback cover is so much more worth it because given the same amount of use between the two, a hardcover will last longer. But if you don't want to spend too much on a hardback and you're good at taking care of your items then a paperback should be completely fine to use, as long as you're careful with it!
lpedersen1498
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lpedersen1498.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by lpedersen1498 »

For me, this honestly depends on the book. If it's a maybe I'll like this kind of book, paperback. If it's part of a series I enjoy or something I know I'll read over and over, there's just something about a solid hardcover book that's so comforting. They look impressive on a shelf too!
Shieldmaiden88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shieldmaiden88.html
Latest Review: The Blue Rose by LaVonne Thompson

Post by Shieldmaiden88 »

If I buy a hard copy of a book I almost always purchase used paperbacks. I simply don't have an income that justifies spending much on my entertainment at this point. (great reason to be here :)) Costs aside, I do like the feel of a hard cover book if I am going to be reading it at home. I used to do so much reading at various locations away from home that I definitely would not want to carry the extra weight and space of a hard cover book if a paperback was available. Now, my whole life has changed so much I have no idea if I will ever spend time sitting down outside my own home again.
fridamadrid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fridamadrid.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by fridamadrid »

i've always been a fan of hardcover, but i also think paperbacks are way more practical

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”