Paperback or Hardcover?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
kamibryant
Bookshelf Size: 91

Re: Paperback or Hardcover?

Post by kamibryant »

I like both but I have been reading more on my kindle now since it is easier to tuck into my purse. I have a huge collection of paperback and hardback books, but hardback books are so heavy and aren't very portable, so it has just become more convenient for me to carry around my kindle.
KDeLeon15
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdeleon15.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by KDeLeon15 »

I really enjoy the feel of a hardcover but I have never turned down a book I wanted because it was only sold in paperback lol
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
chloe0x29a
Currently Reading: Lustmord
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chloe0x29a »

I will take a paperback over hardback, but it mainly is a weight issue. I shake, so the heavier the book the more it shakes and the harder it is to read. :( I basically have gone to my kindle because the pages don't move independently when I start shaking. Hence much easier to read. lol
Frenjie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frenjie.html
Latest Review: "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael

Post by Frenjie »

I wouldn't really mind if it's paperback or hard cover. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages. What's more important is the content which will determine my reading experience.
" Desire is the starting point of all achievement, not a hope, not a wish but a keen pulsating desire which transcends everything." - Napoleon Hill
Latest Review: "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael
Atheinne
Bookshelf Size: 32

Post by Atheinne »

I like both! But I have my books mostly in paperbacks. When it comes to my favourite ones though, I try to buy hardcovers
Noor S
Currently Reading: Decline and Fall
Bookshelf Size: 180

Post by Noor S »

Paperbacks are lighter and cheaper but the spine breaks and bends so easily which makes me a little annoyed! They do feel more comfortable in your hands than hardbacks though. Hardbacks open much easier, I think, and are much more sturdy so better for book you reread a lot, though a bit clunky to carry around. Overall I probably prefer paperbacks.
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

I am neutral so I have both. I try to keep the books consistent when they are a series but I fail by epic proportions.
Nathi_Enoch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathi-enoch.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Nathi_Enoch »

I think that many hardcover books are more aesthetically pleasing to the eye on your bookshelves, but they are also more expensive and take up a lot of space. Paperbacks are easier to travel with and are also cheaper. Still, I have both hardbacks and paperbacks.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Placid Distortion
Favorite Author: Scott Westerfeld
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-placid-distortion.html
Latest Review: "My Author Is Dead" by Michel Bruneau
fav_author_id: 3521

Post by Placid Distortion »

Either, but will say that for physical copies I generally prefer secondhand to brand new; I like to see the markings of readers past on occasions they see fit to leave indication of what they made of the book, giving it character and history. As a personal observation I've noticed that tends to happen more in paperback copies than hardback, people seem to have more reservations about marking up a hardcover book.
Latest Review: "My Author Is Dead" by Michel Bruneau
Bookworm8097
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm8097.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Bookworm8097 »

I tend to go for hardcover, but I love both. Hardcover last longer, but paperback are easier to carry around places. :techie-reference:
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

I like the feel and look of paperbacks, but at the same time, I get paranoid about bending the covers. You can't have your cake and eat it too. 😂
readingnow93
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by readingnow93 »

I love hardcover books because they feel so good. I prefer hardcover over paperback for sure. Paperback can be flimsy and it’s nice to have the sturdiness of the hardcover.
Noksion
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Noksion »

I always prefer hardcover over the paperback because of it's solidity. It just feels so good to feel it's weight in hands. It's cozy.
Also, hardcovers make my bookshelf look much better.
Vashforth14
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vashforth14 »

I have a lot of paperbacks but I agree hardcover doesn't get torn up as easily.
Tresha_93
Currently Reading: My Trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Tresha_93 »

Definitely, paperback for me because they are easier to carry around( even though they do damage easily :( )

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”