Best Horror/Thriller book you've ever read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Krystle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38">Hollow City</a>
Currently Reading: The Drowning Pool
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krystle.html

Icon Best Horror/Thriller book you've ever read?

Post by Krystle »

I'm interested to know which books in the horror/thriller genre that had the most impact on you or scared you the most and why.
I'm currently on that genre's rampage, and I want a good book that would scare the bejeezus outta me. :wink: Any suggestions? :eusa-think:
lmoses
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmoses.html
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline

Post by lmoses »

A good Psychological thriller is The Horrorscape series by Nenia Campbell. This books were very intense and follow a 14 year old girl into adulthood who is stalked by a killer. The books become more descriptive and intense the further into the series you read!
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline
Krystle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38">Hollow City</a>
Currently Reading: The Drowning Pool
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krystle.html

Post by Krystle »

Ooh. Sounds interesting, I may just give them a go ;) Thanks! =D
njzeba
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njzeba.html

Post by njzeba »

I don't know about best because I can't choose but suffer The Children was a really terrifying book that actually made me cry too.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

In it's own way, House of Leaves was extremely scary. The idea of excursions into a cold, dark house that doesn't follow the rules of time, space, and physics is actually terrifying.
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

It by Stephen King. I read it decades ago when I worked third shift. I still get scared thinking about it. I am definitely not a fan of clowns :o
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

I've said it on these boards a hundred times .... Fail-Safe by Eugene Burdick and Harvey Wheeler.

The best thriller I have ever read and extremely well written. It draws you in and never lets go. A very believable, non-supernatural, and entirely plausible horror story. A friend of mine, a professor of physics no less, once said he had trouble sleeping for a week after reading this book.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
V-20
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-20.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by V-20 »

The first and only horror book I have is Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill :D
Stay safe! Sending hugs
x Val
MOONTRAVELLER007
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moontraveller007.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by MOONTRAVELLER007 »

Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter was very suspenseful & thrilling. I read was on edge reading this, finished in one sitting. It's fast, it's gruesome, it's everything that a thriller should be!
alyssarenn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyssarenn.html
Latest Review: Naked Truth by Carrie Hayes

Post by alyssarenn »

I think Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn was definitely one of the best psychological thrillers I've ever read. It just kept me engaged the whole time plus I actually got very attached to the main character and started rooting for her. Such a good book. As for horror, I would say that The Long Walk by Stephen King messed me up pretty bad, and it still hurts thinking about it now. Just one of those horror stories where you get invested in the characters even though you know it won't end well :cry2:
urrutiap
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by urrutiap »

Im currently reading The Ceremonies by Ted Klein. I think i should read more old 1980s horror novels like The Ceremonies. I know the ancient demon or haunted house plot is old and is in almost any or every old 1980s horror novel but im having a good time reading The Ceremonies

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”