Have your reading habits changed joining OBC?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Harmony Hills
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harmony-hills.html
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh

Re: Have your reading habits changed joining OBC?

Post by Harmony Hills »

Been reading the replies and i'm so happy that this kind of community was built for book readers and lovers. Definitely it is. I have read books that i don't know who the author is and can't even find them on wikipedia. I'm looking forwarrd everyy morning to join the forums :D
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh
Maria joraimah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 92854">The Zodiac Killer</a>
Currently Reading: Unbroken
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Maria joraimah »

Definitely yes!
My obsession with books started anew and I've been in a marathon since then in finishing a book I'm reading as to start with a new one.
Here at OBC, I discovered a number of great books and authors which gave it more passion and eagerness in my reading.

Thank you OBC for coming into my life. :)
" HAPPINESS is finding PEACE within yourself! " :D
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

No. My reading habits have not changed. But I have learned about so many good writers that I probably would not have known about. There are just too many good books and not enough hours for reading them all.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

They have definitely changed. I'm almost scared to start a book of my own because I'm worried a good one to review will show up and I'm bad at reading two together.
Placid Distortion
Favorite Author: Scott Westerfeld
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-placid-distortion.html
Latest Review: "My Author Is Dead" by Michel Bruneau
fav_author_id: 3521

Post by Placid Distortion »

Haven't been here long enough to really say, but I'll go ahead and say that I don't think they will. I think this because I already know that my reading habits have changed over the last few years, not just in terms of what I read but in how. I used to read mostly either YA or exclusively fantasy series which I would read pretty casually, but at some point primarily switched to non-fiction of various kinds and on occasions that I do get to engage a narrative, I approach it analytically. This has resulted from both internet debate experience (once upon a time; find it exhausting now) as well getting into the habit for writing college papers over various reading material. Since I'm primarily here to put my analytical reading and writing to use in a hopefully productive way, I strongly doubt that the way I read will change, and expect that although the list of things I'm willing to read may broaden a bit that my core areas of interest will be more or less the same. If I stick around i'll be sure and come back to this post and make note if that proves to be the contrary.
Latest Review: "My Author Is Dead" by Michel Bruneau
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

Yes! Now that I have the excuse of being paid to review books, I find that I can move my work schedule aside for reading time without feeling guilty now. :)
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

Camille Turner wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 12:13 Yes! Now that I have the excuse of being paid to review books, I find that I can move my work schedule aside for reading time without feeling guilty now. :)
I love the excuse of getting paid😁
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

My reading habit has changed because now I am getting introduced to new authors and getting new books everyday. Yes, my 'To Read' list is increasing at an alarming speed which has got me real worried. Also, I like browsing these forums which takes up a considearble amount of time, time I probably would have spent with my nose stuck in a book. Nevertheless I like reading other people's views, sometimes adding a few of my own, so that's more than okay with me! Also having to review a book made my reading experience different. I try to think in more depth, try to look for things which I liked, things I disliked, and exactly why I liked/disliked them- this I used to do anyway, but now I try to analyse them in a way so that later I can express them in words!
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

Okay before I joined, I used to just read all willy nilly but now I read, stop and think of reviews and do them.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

Definitely. While I have always read books, being part of the review team or wanting to participate in the discussions of the book of the month has meant consuming a much higher number of books in contrast to what I was used to before, not to mention that I only read books by famous authors before joining OBC...
NRoach
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nroach.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by NRoach »

I've definitely read a ton more books since joining than I had in the years before.
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

No, they haven't changed. I still read more than one book at a time. I do finish them, though. I liketo read so it's not stressful. I have different books for different moods.
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

My habits have changed! Growing up and all through high school, there was hardly a moment I did have my nose shoved in a book. In fact, I'd get in trouble in school because I was reading my personal book instead of listening to directions for the next assignment or classwork. Once I hit college, my reading slowed due to my being busy with school and working a part-time job. Not to mention, I commuted to and from school and work a lot, which took up a good two hours or more of my day. When I moved to Japan in 2016, I was busy with learning about Navy life, learning about the transportation systems of Japan, learning Japanese customs, and the list goes on and on. I eventually got a job teaching English, which took up most of my time. In the past two and a half years, my reading has suffered, sadly. However, since discovering OBC and becoming a member of it, my reading has picked up greatly. I've reviewed two books, finished two more books outside of that, and started a third book to read.
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by 1ditzyrn »

My reading habits have changed in that I am reading a bigger variety of genres instead of the ones I usually gravitated towards. I have found that I enjoy books that I may never have looked at before, so my To-Read list is growing exponentially!!
gregs317
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gregs317 »

I think my reading habits may have changed a little bit since I joined OBC. I am finding myself more willing to explore books in genres that I don't normally venture into very often. I'm more open to mystery novels and the occasional memoir for example, besides my usual fiction category.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”