Have your reading habits changed joining OBC?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 8337

Re: Have your reading habits changed joining OBC?

Post by Jojowrites4All »

gali wrote:Have your reading habits changed since joining OBC?

My habits have not changed that much, but I discovered authors I had never heard of before and am really enjoying them. Also, my "To Read" list gets longer and longer every day... 8)
In addition, I started to use my Kindle more. Also, I've been pushed from my comfort zone. My obsessive need to read has remained the same.
~ A Lack of Preparation on Your Part - Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on My Part~
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

My habits haven't changed, but it has broadened my 'to be read' pile and I've discovered authors and books I really do enjoy! The forums also help me remember things and think a little more critically about certain things I read.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

OBC has introduced me to the world of independent publishing. I don't think that I would be reading works by indie authors if I hadn't joined this site. Independent publishing sometimes gets a bad rap, but I've discovered some real gems here!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

I probably read about the same amount however since joining OBC I've been reading more e-books.
I've also started reading a wider range of books, which I love :). I don't know why I didn't before but I'm glad for the change :)
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
Nitya
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nitya.html

Post by Nitya »

OBC is probably one of the greatest things I have found as a reader. I have always been an avid reader but the past few years I have not been able to read as much as I would like and have not been able to read as wide of a variety of books as I would like. I kept reminding myself that I need step out of my comfort zone and read books that are not fantasy as these are the only types of books I have been reading of late. Since the last couple of years every time I would come across a book that sparked my interest, I would tell myself "I should read that sometime" but never got around to actually doing so. Since joining OBC I now have the motivation to bring back my old reading habits. I am now motivated to read more and read more of different genres. With the help of OBC words turned into actions.
OBC has also opened up a whole world of books I never knew existed. Before coming across OBC, I would limit myself to best sellers and books that were popular. Little did I know that literary gems exist everywhere and you do not even have to dig deep to find books that are just as good if not better than those that are currently trending.
Thanks OBC! :tiphat:
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

Nitya wrote:OBC is probably one of the greatest things I have found as a reader. I have always been an avid reader but the past few years I have not been able to read as much as I would like and have not been able to read as wide of a variety of books as I would like. I kept reminding myself that I need step out of my comfort zone and read books that are not fantasy as these are the only types of books I have been reading of late. Since the last couple of years every time I would come across a book that sparked my interest, I would tell myself "I should read that sometime" but never got around to actually doing so. Since joining OBC I now have the motivation to bring back my old reading habits. I am now motivated to read more and read more of different genres. With the help of OBC words turned into actions.
OBC has also opened up a whole world of books I never knew existed. Before coming across OBC, I would limit myself to best sellers and books that were popular. Little did I know that literary gems exist everywhere and you do not even have to dig deep to find books that are just as good if not better than those that are currently trending.
Thanks OBC! :tiphat:
There are so many gems that come up on this site! I read all different genres, but there are so many books I wouldn't have read or known about that this site introduced me too. But now I have even more to read, so I guess the site has upped my reading time as well. :D
tortoise keeper
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tortoise-keeper.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Reading Device: B0192AFG7A

Post by tortoise keeper »

It has introduced me to a lot of different types of books that I probably wouldn't have picked up to read otherwise.
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Loverockers
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... lations</a>
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loverockers.html
Latest Review: "Contemplations" by Lisa M. Gott

Post by Loverockers »

They have changed, actually. Now I'm reading newer books and reading them everyday. I was a bit on a reader's block before joining OBC.
Latest Review: "Contemplations" by Lisa M. Gott
HalcyonFlower
Currently Reading: Hearts In Atlantis
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-halcyonflower.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Publishing Contest Votes: 2

Post by HalcyonFlower »

Reading wise, definitely! I've been so much more engaged with books than I had been in university. It almost rekindled my love for them :) I hadn't dabbled in indie novels before finding this forum and still struggle to find ones that are suited to me but I definitely appreciate the extra content now available to me.
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insomniac07.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Insomniac07 »

I used to think I was comfortable in reading all genres but since joining here I realised I tend to avoid reading Sci-fi and non-fiction. I'll have to be more conscious of this in future.
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by barb429 »

I've only recently joined, but I must say that in the short time that I have been here my reading habits have changed slightly. I am definitely reading my Kindle more often, and I am discovering new authors.
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

For the most part, I would say my habits are the same. The only thing I can think of that is different is now when I'm done reading a book that I've had a strong reaction to (whether I hated it or loved it), I search to see if someone else has discussed it as a topic on this website and if not, then I start the topic. :)
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by lily_kh87 »

Yes it changed. I read for new authors and genres I never seemed to be interested in before. I'm really enjoying the change.
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

I'm definitely reading more books since joining OBC. I've been compelled to try different genres than my usual "go to" books. I also read more online books because of their easy accessibility and free to low prices.
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

I've found the book reviews here on OBC to be really helpful. All of a sudden it seems there are SO many new authors, and I appreciate being able to determine whether I would probably like a book or not before I pay for it and spend time reading it. OBC hasn't changed my habits, it's changed my ability and comfort to choose.
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”