Have your reading habits changed joining OBC?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Re: Have your reading habits changed joining OBC?

Post by AA1495 »

I read books from a more critical perspective now. I say that in a good way though. I have come across many interesting books too.
zero_macabre
Currently Reading: The Snowman
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zero-macabre.html
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller

Post by zero_macabre »

For me, my reading habits haven't really changed much. But what OBC has really done is introduced me to a world of avid and absolutely amazing readers who have read thousands and thousands of books. And I'm just that reader who doesn't read books very often, mainly because I can't find any I'm interested in. But now, I've been introduced to so many new authors and the webpage of my local library pops up so much more frequently because I'm checking if they have any of the books I really want to read! :D
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I just realized a couple big changes in my reading habits: I now read multiple books at the same time (something I never would have thought to do before), and I'm reading things I always wanted to read, but kept putting off. I've also become more eclectic, despite being eclectic to begin with 8)
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

Yes! I read a lot more books more often from a variety of genres. I also have become more analytical in taking notes on the books that I read.
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I doubt that I read more or less than before but I read a wider variety of books than I did before. And I'm more open to trying new genres, such as vampires! I do enjoy the review styles found here and am happy to have found OBC.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
greywalker
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ndation</a>
Currently Reading: The Mysticism of Paul the Apostle
Bookshelf Size: 133

Post by greywalker »

My reading content hasn't changed, but my habits have in that now I document what I read by adding it to my shelves. I've also set a reading goal, and I feel a sense of accomplishment when I finish a book and my percentage of goal completed goes up. I read tons of books in a year, but now, I actually have concrete proof of that.
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I haven't noticed my reading habits change any yet. I have learned about new authors I wouldn't have otherwise, which is a plus.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

Similarly to the OP, I mostly have used OBC to find completely new authors that I never would have found previously. My TBR list keeps growing dangerously larger but I don't think my actual habits have changed at all.
gregs317
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gregs317 »

Honestly, I've started to consider reading books that are outside of my usual fiction genre. I never really gave a lot of thought to a mystery or historical fiction, and definitely not a romance novel. I'm still not interested in romances, but I might read a book that has a little bit of a love story.
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ »

I've started to read way more often than before since joining OBC. I finish books faster and actually appreciate them even more. I also kind of like ebooks, which I refused to read before.
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SparklingOne »

Yes, I've always been a great reader. When I found the club I was in a stressful period in life where I couldn't relax enough to read. The Bookshelves section was especially helpful in this regard. Setting up my own shelves and exploring the shelves of others was relaxing and the lists of books sparked my interest reading regularly again. I still don't have all the time I would like to read, but I'm glad that dreadful reading slump is over.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

My reading habit has changed because I'm reading more books than I had before. I've always been a fast reader, so that hasn't changed much. Now I just read so many books that I've never would have read otherwise. Its good though because it forces me to broaden my horizon.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Pm7lucas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pm7lucas.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Pm7lucas »

Even though I just joined a little over a week ago I can already see my reading habits changing. I've already read more genres than normal.

Paula :D
"I think therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Ama Idim
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Ama Idim »

Yes...mine has changed. Been loosing focus since the year began, Havn't been able to read a complete book. Since joining OBC this month, the number of pages per day has increased because I've set a target for myself
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Excitedreads
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 667">Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows</a>
Currently Reading: Rich Woman
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excitedreads.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00J8DL78O

Post by Excitedreads »

Everything's changed! I've started reading books i've never heard of, from authors i've never heard of. Amd ebooks to boot! I usually prefer sitring down with an actual book and a cup if coffee, but at least the kindle app lets you tuen pages. Lol. I don't much like posting things, but I'm doing them nonetheless. And I'm spending more time with my tablet than before.
Between the pages of a book is a lovely place to be...
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”