Would you re-read a book you hated?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
nfdaniel85
Currently Reading: A Sick Life
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdaniel85.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Re: Would you re-read a book you hated?

Post by nfdaniel85 »

Not that I hated. I am good to give them a second go if I thought they were boring, I didn't understand them, or I didn't have the desire to finish them. I have a very short list of books I hate, though.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

I reread it if I was in a different stage of life when I hated it. If I read it as an adult and read it all the way through, then I do keep it but don't reread it.
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

I'd have to let a few years go by before I reread something to make sure my perspective and opinions have changed a bit to ensure that when I reread I would pick up on different points in the book, but yes I would reread something that I hated.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

I want to think that I would reread books a second time if I didn't like them the first time. A lot of it would depend on my mood and my maturity level at the time. Books that I enjoyed the first time as a teenager don't really appeal to me now, but that's mostly because how it related to me at the time. There were books that I read in high school that I hated, but because they were required reading I completed them to the best of my ability. Books like The Great Gatsby and 1984 were pretty boring to me, but I believe that I would appreciate them more now.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
JodyVamp
Currently Reading: Undone
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodyvamp.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by JodyVamp »

No. There are too many books to try and too many I thoroughly enjoyed and want to read again to waste time seeing if something I didn't find enjoyable is still as fun as having my teeth pulled with no numbing agent.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

Absolutely not. If I don't like something and its short I'll finish it but if its longer and I'm not into the authors writing style, the characters, or subject matter, I'm not gonna finish the book. Its rare I reread whole books. I will restart a book if its been awhile and I don't remember it.
Jfoust1988
Currently Reading: The Vampire Secret
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jfoust1988.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Jfoust1988 »

I recommend it actually. When you grow and change your take on books will do the same. You may read a book you hated and find you love it.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

Jfoust1988 wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 22:05 I recommend it actually. When you grow and change your take on books will do the same. You may read a book you hated and find you love it.
And now, for the serious answer ...

Exactly what I was going to say. Life experience lends a lot to our appreciation or disaffection with what we read. The more we can relate what we read to things we ourselves have experienced, or at least given the time to think about, the more we can understand the author's message and intent. There have been some books however which I have decided to give a second chance which still did not work for me, so it is not a slam/dunk, but if I own the book anyway or can get it at the library I mean, like, what-the-heck - give it another shot someday. You might be pleasantly surprised.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Aituaje
Currently Reading: Heaven and Earth
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aituaje.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Aituaje »

It depends on why I hated it and how long ago I decided I hated it. Sometimes, it just takes me a while to get into a book; the first few times I tried reading the Hunger Games, I absolutely hated it. Now, I think it's a pretty good book series. I still don't love it, but I don't hate it.

If I recently decided to hate a book, I'll most likely wait a little while before picking it up again. Unless I'm reading it for a reason (i.e. I want to talk about it with someone, or it's required reading) I'll probably let it sit for a few days to a few years.
Jesscar6
Currently Reading: A Song of Ice and Fire
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscar6.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Jesscar6 »

Personally I wouldn't. If I hated it the first time, it will be the same the second time. It would probably be harder to finish knowing how bad it was.
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

I would give it a second try. Most probably I will like it a little better than the first time. Sometimes when I'm reading a book for the first time, I'm quick to dismiss it as boring but after a second glance I start to actually enjoy it
See_B00kReaDs
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-b00kreads.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

It depends on why I hated the book in the first place. Although, in general, I don't think I'll re-read them unless I have a change of heart.
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan

God bless you! :D
Uche Balogun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-balogun.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Uche Balogun »

For me to hate a book, it must be boring and/or against what I believe to be right. So, no, I wouldn't reread a book I hated.
A book that made me angry or elicited strong emotions in me, maybe, but not one I hated.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I used to try re-reading books I could not previously complete, albeit at a faster pace,so that it does not take much time if I again fail at the attempt. For some, I was able to finish it the second time around. And for some, I left them again. But now-a-days, since there are so many books around, I don't generally go for re-reading hated books (though I keep re-reading the ones I loved), instead try new ones. This happens very rarely though, since generally I tend to finish books once I start.
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

I have only re-read one book I disliked. It was The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan book I'd randomly grabbed at a book sale when I was in middle school. I started the book, but never finished it. Fast forward to somewhere in high school and I picked up the book again to give it another try. It ended up being the first book of a series that became my favorite series of all time.
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”