Would you re-read a book you hated?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Clifora
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clifora.html
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps

Re: Would you re-read a book you hated?

Post by Clifora »

Well, usually I don't reread them. However, if I feel that I just didn't understand the book or perhaps the book could have been more interesting, I will reread them. After all, it's a waste to keep a book on your shelf without bothering to read it.
“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.”

— T.S. Eliot
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps
Joy V Smith
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Joy V Smith »

No, I can't imagine doing that, especially if they were so bad that I threw them away so they wouldn't clutter up the world.
ModraWintruz
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by ModraWintruz »

I have tried to do this. I tried re-reading Wuthering Heights...still hate it. I tried to re-read Practical Magic (love the movie) and though I was able to finally finish it, I was still badly disappointed. I really want to like these books but I just cant seem to.
Dashkova
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dashkova »

Hell no. Life is too short :D
Joy V Smith
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Joy V Smith »

Wuthering Heights! Oh, yes. I remember it well... Some books that I had to read, I enjoyed, like Pickwick Papers. And I was proud of myself for making it through Don Quioxte (in English). But Wuthering Heights was torture, along with a Thomas Hardy book. Oh, yes. Jude the Obscure.
thegeekyyogi
Currently Reading: Orange is the New Back
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thegeekyyogi.html

Post by thegeekyyogi »

I'm going to have to go with no on that. I've tried to read Huckleberry Finn twice, once in eighth grade and once my freshman year, I couldn't get through it either time and as guilty as I feel I've decided to give up on it altogether. There are too many books out there that I would much rather be reading and I only have so much time to get to them all.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

I tried. I read a book and couldn't complete it. A movie based on the book became very popular. I watched the movie and liked it. I tried reading the book again after that. Still hated it. Maybe it was the writing style, I don't know :/
Ashley 1820
Currently Reading: Rebecca
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-1820.html

Post by Ashley 1820 »

actually. I would do it.I believe everything has some positive perspectives. maybe I am too amateur to find it now.so I'll definitely give it a chance later.can't insult the author although it's bad written. so I think I'll try to dig some good things for sure!it's like a challenge for me.
MerryLove
Currently Reading: A Court of Wings and Ruin
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merrylove.html
Latest Review: "Coppers Journey" by Julius Green
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MerryLove »

I think it would really depend on the individual person, and why I hated the book.

If the person's reading tastes have had a dramatic change since then, that might be a good reason to try a book again. Mine have not, so I definitely wouldn't.

If the reason I hated the book in the first place was because it felt too immature or the plot wasn't strong enough, then I would likely feel the same way or possibly stronger now. I wouldn't reread those books. But, if it was because I couldn't get into it, I felt it was too slow, or didn't understand the plot in depth, then as an older reader I would be willing to give it another shot in case it was me, not the book.

I do have to say though that some books that I truly HATE I probably couldn't pick up again because of the emotion it caused me. Great Expectations is a perfect example. I started this book in middle school, and it was recommended to me by a teacher I adored and respected. I tried so hard to find something worth enjoying in it, but loathed every minute of it. I made it through 200 pages before I finally gave up. The boredom and contempt mixed with the longing to find something worthy that I experienced reading this text are enough to keep me from trying it again. If I couldn't like it when I really wanted to, how could I enjoy it starting out with contempt?
Latest Review: "Coppers Journey" by Julius Green
bmysti00
Currently Reading: Queen Sugar
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bmysti00.html

Post by bmysti00 »

I have. Typically if I'm trying to understand the hype around a certain book, I'll reread it or attempt to. I also reread books I read years ago, just to see if I feel differently about it since I'm older.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by AA1495 »

bmysti00 wrote:I have. Typically if I'm trying to understand the hype around a certain book, I'll reread it or attempt to. I also reread books I read years ago, just to see if I feel differently about it since I'm older.
That sounds so practical. As a result of hype, I tried reading many books (for the first time) and failed. I haven't tried reading them after that.
wagthefox
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by wagthefox »

I don't think I could ever re-read a book I hated or gave up on unless enough friends or people whose opinions mattered to me insisted that I give it a second chance. There are so many unread books out there for me to devour, I hardly reread books I DO like.
AA1495
Currently Reading:

Post by AA1495 »

I would give it a chance if it's critically acclaimed and any person I look upto has a favorable review for it
furybeginner
Currently Reading: Needful Things
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-furybeginner.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by furybeginner »

Sure. If I read it before and never got to finish it, I'll read it again. So far, I've never given up on any of the books I have read. It doesn't really matter how long it takes for me to finish it, as long as I do. But of course, there are books I don't want to ever read again. I'm only going to read them again if I'm forced to in some way...
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

Maybe. I haven't come across a book that I've hated enough to never re-read ever again.
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”