Would you re-read a book you hated?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
wordslinger42
Currently Reading: The Lost Road and Other Writings
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordslinger42.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Re: Would you re-read a book you hated?

Post by wordslinger42 »

Nope. Why suffer twice? Haha
Codmeister1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Codmeister1 »

Yes, in fact I recently reread "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and I have definitely changed my opinion on it. The second time around I went in with very different expectations which made me enjoy the book a lot more.
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

I will occasionally pick up a book I couldn't get through previously, as long as it wasn't due to the book being badly written! I find my point of view can change a lot over time, so it's nice to give some books a second chance.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

Possibly, but so far I never have picked up a book to re-read if I absolutely hated it when I read it. Too many other good books to choose from.
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by RoxieReads »

For me, it depends on why I disliked the book, but in most cases, I think I would take it as an opportunity to see if I have changed in any way since first reading it.
~Roxie~
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

Yes, I will. It has happened many times before. The book I liked may not be the same after a few years. In the same way, books which I didn't like may become favorite, If not favorite at least something interesting.
Nightreaderx
Currently Reading: Unhinged
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Nightreaderx »

Not unless I have to
DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

I would probably not. My tastes have changed surprisingly little despite the time that’s passed. If I hated it before, I’d probably still hate it if I reread it, so why bother?
Inmortalbooklover
Currently Reading: Glass Sword
Bookshelf Size: 46

Post by Inmortalbooklover »

Depends on the book, but since our likings change as we grow books that we didn´t enjoy before can end up being books we now love
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

I wouldn't say I hated it, but I wasn't a fan of the Harry Potter books when I was younger. I reread the first four and the last three for the first time a couple years ago... I can see why people like them, just not for me
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Aditi Sapate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi-sapate.html
Latest Review: Miracles Love a Believer by Stacy Manning Casaluci

Post by Aditi Sapate »

Usually I don't re-read books that I've read fully but haven't liked. But I do make it a point to read a book fully before criticizing it. I rarely ever DNF books.
Reynaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reynaa.html
Latest Review: Sucsexful: by Rachel Martin

Post by Reynaa »

If it was a mandatory reading for school, I would probably give it another shot. My love for books has grown since then and I've found my favorite genre. I can also appreciate the content of books now, as an adult, that I once thought were stuffy and boring when i was younger!
Henrytbab
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henrytbab.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Henrytbab »

Denise Hill wrote: 25 Mar 2016, 15:12 Absolutely! Times changes, attitudes change, perspectives change and most importantly people change. I am not the same person I was when I first read the book--whether it was years ago or a couple of weeks ago. We are constantly changing and experiencing new things. New experiences effect your perspective. I love things I used to hate and hate what I used to love. I am definitely open to revisiting past experiences! :D
Brilliantly put. I could also read any book I have once hated if given enough reasons to read it.
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I used to always finish books. Then, I went to college and the class was only required to read parts of books - chapters on only certain parts in history, parts of massive books because our studies focused on a theme rather than on an author or a book. I still have yet to finish a collected Aristotle book, The Leviathan by Hobbes, and The Critique of Pure Reason by Immanuel Kant... To answer your question, "Yes, I would" and I actually have reread books that I didn't care for - I probably didn't hate them, but I just did not care for them that much. Sometimes if you wait a couple years, you view the book in a different light. I want to read "Catcher in the Rye" again because I didn't like it and everyone else does. And Hemingway. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. It was depressing.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Truth and Evil
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Post by Bertha Jackson »

Only if it was mandatory that I do so. My taste in books hasn't changed over the years. I will try a genre again, but not a specific book.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”