Were you always a reader?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Deepika13
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepika13.html

Re: Were you always a reader?

Post by Deepika13 »

Yes, I was always a voracious reader. I love fiction and thrillers as it just keeps me absorbed. If I had to do a presentation on technical subjects, I made sure that I have read every article available on websites, so that my Q & A sessions go smoothly. Reading has been my hobby for a very long time and I really enjoy!
SarahMackmin
Currently Reading: Love in the Time of Cholera
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by SarahMackmin »

I've always loved reading! From a really early age I would prefer to disappear in to a book while family would try to convince me to come and play games ?
brendabowman89
Currently Reading: Les Miserables
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendabowman89.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by brendabowman89 »

I have been a reader for as long as I can remember. Reading has always been a passion of mine, and I love getting lost in a new book. I think that reading not only opens up our minds to new worlds, lives, and stories, but it helps us to keep an active imagination. In the last few years since my son has started school he has turned out to be a reader just like I was at his age, and I love it. His reading comprehension has improved so much over the past few years, his vocabulary has improved, and he enjoys having something to talk about with me that a lot of people we know don't understand.
Ladygrace381

Post by Ladygrace381 »

Yes, I have. Starting in the fourth grade I believe. The first books I remember reading were "The Babysitters Club" books, then moved on to "Goosebumps" and then R.L. Stine books. I used to get made fun of because everywhere I went, I usually had a book with me. I even used to get into trouble at school for READING TOO MUCH! :) I have a large collection of books now and would one day love to have my own library in my home. Thanks to technology, though, I no longer have to carry books wherever I go. I can read them on my phone! So much more convenient . Happy reading! <3
teacherof3s

Post by teacherof3s »

I have been a reader/book lover since I learned to read. It is my main way of relaxing and my main entertainment. I would much rather read than watch TV and it has been that way since I was 6 years old. I always prefer the book version of a movie, except of course, for my favorite movie, The Sound of Music.
allorah
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allorah.html

Post by allorah »

I was not always a reader. Could I read? Yes, however I was discouraged at a young age by a school teacher that didn't believe that a 6 year old could read a 50 word book in less than 5 minutes. I was after punished for dishonesty, and didn't read for anything other than what was assigned for at least 5 years, and begrudgingly so. I remember the summer I checked out Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, I read that book every night for two weeks straight. I was so excited that I checked out The Goblet of Fire and asked for the entire collection for Christmas. I had never asked for a book as a gift before. Reading later became boring, only having time to read the novels and textbooks that were assigned to me. Junior year of high school came and at last, students were allowed to select 'approved' books off of a large reading list. I selected Jane Eyre, my first chosen classic. I began to love books like Jane loved Gulliver's Travels.
TraylorPark
Currently Reading: Rise Of The Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-traylorpark.html

Post by TraylorPark »

I have not always been a reader. As a matter of fact, I did't really discover much in the way of stories and fandoms until I was an adult. My focus was always games and the military when I was younger.
My first book that I discovered what got me hooked into fantasy and science fiction was The Time of the Twins. From there, I found my escape from reality.
Lizard14
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizard14.html

Post by Lizard14 »

When I was younger, I never wanted to read. My favorite books growing up were To Kill A Mockingbird and The Great Gatsby. I had to read them in high school, but after that I never really found any books I liked. I read a lot of the chick lit books and really enjoy those. I read a lot more in the summer, maybe because there isn't anything on TV so I have more time to read.
Tiffluvstay13

Post by Tiffluvstay13 »

Yes at first I used it as an escape from a horrid life and then at times I still use it to escape (I have a lot of anxiety) but also reading can take you places and feel like it's giving yiu new experiences and also make yiu see things you a different light from a different POV yiu may have never had.
Kimmagus
Currently Reading: An Abundance of Katherines
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmagus.html

Post by Kimmagus »

Yes, ever since a little girl I've loved to read. I would always go to the library and checkout some books and try and read them as fast as i could to get to another one and I would make my parents by me so many books. Now I'm trying to start over and get back to it.
kylie_fuller
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kylie-fuller.html

Post by kylie_fuller »

For as long as I can remember, I've been an avid reader. My mom worked in bookstores and libraries my whole life, so I grew up surrounded by books. Because of this, I took to reading as a hobby when I was young and stuck to it.
Moonlight98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moonlight98.html

Post by Moonlight98 »

I believe I was a reader to begin with. I watched my sisters read when I was very small. I eventually was able to read in Kindergarden and had a book in my hand everywhere I went, since then! So yes, I was always a reader.

-- 30 Jun 2016, 02:55 --

Of course !
Electica
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-electica.html

Post by Electica »

Always a reader as far back as my earliest memory goes. Looking back and remembering all the stages of evolution from kids stories, comics, teen adventures to novels, feels awesome.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I know I have always enjoyed reading, but it actually came as a realization to me when I was a Freshman in high school. The summer after eighth grade and between starting high school, we were all given a list of three books to choose from, which we had to annotate and review and have ready for the first week of high school. I remember some of my friends struggling and putting it off until the week before school started. I actually ended up just reading all three so I could decide which one I would rather do. Since then, I haven't gone more than a few days at a time without a book. And now that I have an E-Reader, it's all simpler. :)
Seii

Post by Seii »

I wasn't always a reader but for some reason, my best friends in grade school were those who stuffed their faces on some thick novel every break or lunch time. I just loved the silence of their company everytime we were at the library. They were always there engrossed with some fictional novel while I oggled at some thick hardbound book saying short stories about Greek gods and goddesses that I forgot about weeks later. I never read anything that was more than half an inch thick with large captions or pictures in it. Well, I tried, but I never got past Chapter 3 of any of those books. It was until the movie Harry Potter and the Sorcere's Stone came out. I don't think I need to elaborate how incredibly eloquent and extensive JK Rowling's writing and imagination is. From then on, I kept on reading, widening the expanse of my imagination - and vocabulary.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”