Were you always a reader?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
ChillAndRead
Bookshelf Size: 362
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chillandread.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Were you always a reader?

Post by ChillAndRead »

I've always been the reading kind I'm afraid! :)
I was never so popular in school or so, and books were always a mean to travel to magical places!
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
Life in Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-life-in-fiction.html

Post by Life in Fiction »

Always a reader.

My mum reading a bedtime story to me used to be my favourite time of the day. She tells me that she enjoyed it when I started to read the stories to her <3

In primary school, I loved trying to see if I can get through more reading levels so that I could get to the thicker books I had always wanted to read.

When I reached the point in school where I could choose my any book from the library I was lost forever. Constantly drawn into the world of fiction.
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

I think i was a born reader. As long as my memory goes, i always remember myself reading something. My mother had to literally touch me and shake a little to bring me out of my reverie as i never heard her calling me when i was reading.I don't remember myself indulging in sports or any other activities. My brothers used to tell me that the books will not be banned from this planet and that i can postpone the reading for few minutes.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
cherryalakei
Currently Reading: anita blake burnt offerings
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherryalakei.html
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin

Post by cherryalakei »

Yes and no.
I grew up with a learning disability in math and advanced skills in reading and language arts. I read books as early as I could, since it was something that I enjoyed being an imaginative and creative kid, and I was an only child with very few friends. I had quite the collection of books for a kid my age. I regularly went to the public library to take books out, but read them so fast I'd be there the next day. I was a speed reader as well, and actually won a couple local school contests speed reading as a kid. I loved reading until one day I didn't. I pretty much stopped reading books when I became a teenager.
In place of books, I read fan fiction occasionally. Aside from school assignments there was no real reading for pleasure, until I went to college.

I moved away to college like a lot of kids do, but I didn't move until I was going for my bachelors, at the lovely age of 22. I bought Twilight, and my friends donated me some books, telling me I'd have time to read, and I should because up at dry campus in the middle of nowhere-I was going to be bored. Twilight brought me back into the world of books. I quickly fell back in love with reading, and have not stopped since, I just keep wanting to read more, and more and more.
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I've always been a reader. Ever since I was young I've had a book with me constantly.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Cowgirl888
Currently Reading: The 13th Demon
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cowgirl888.html

Post by Cowgirl888 »

As far back as I can remember I have always been a reader.
dana012
Currently Reading: Endless Forms Most Beautiful
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dana012.html
Latest Review: "All Access" by Liberty Kontranowski

Post by dana012 »

Yeah ever since I was a kid. My mother introduced me to reading and bought me a lot of books. As an introvert, I preferred reading to playing with my peers.
Latest Review: "All Access" by Liberty Kontranowski
Angandmae
Currently Reading: The Girl On The Train
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angandmae.html

Post by Angandmae »

I have always loved reading, ever since I learned how. I would stay up most of the night reading and my parents would always catch me and tell me to go to sleep.
Bunny_Redd
Favorite Book: Let's Talk About Love
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Bunny_Redd »

I started reading in the 2nd grade, that's when it clicked for me, before that stories were boring and too simple, but when they started having stories and plots I was hooked ever since.
Tommie H Odom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1960">Sade Evans</a>
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tommie-h-odom.html

Post by Tommie H Odom »

Yes. As far back as I can remember. We started young. Our parents were avid readers and we are too. The books and literature were there and we read it.
SurferGirl5304

Post by SurferGirl5304 »

I was not a reader until high school. My friends introduced me to anime and manga and ever since then I have been able to read anything, whether there are pictures or not.
tinmmm
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4">Flowers for Algernon</a>
Currently Reading: Taguan-pung at Manwal ng Pagpapatiwakal (Level Up)
Bookshelf Size: 217

Post by tinmmm »

Thaty wrote:yes, since I was a little girl. I read even before learning how to read, Just turning the pages and pretending so.
:o same! Then when I learned how those words sound I would read them aloud and with intonation even though I don't understand what they mean (they were in English which is not my first language). My sisters never went through that phase, or at least not in that degree, so I think my parents already knew it's not just me learning how to read.
BrandiLynnex3

Post by BrandiLynnex3 »

I would say I always have been, but I go through phases were I read 3 books a day then I switch to one a week. Lol.
liniageline89
Currently Reading: Ender's Game
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by liniageline89 »

My favorite quote from my dad is, "Readers make leaders." And he is a brawny, extroverted ex-Marine. He works in rescue and relief and runs a jungle survival training program. Here I was, a little girl with adoring eyes, thinking, 'If he can be all active and successful and be such a leader while saying readers make leaders...then maybe it is true.'
Ever since, whenever my friends would laugh at me and call me a nerd for reading all the time and try to convince me that reading was not cool, I would just point to my big scary dad and ignore them. Because I knew the truth. I have been reading since 4 and a half years old and never lost the love.
Celticlady
Currently Reading: Josephine Baker's Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 3435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celticlady.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Celticlady »

I have always loved reading since I learned with the books See Spot Run. I remember one year for Christmas I received Black Beauty as a Christmas gift. I read it and read it and read it..lol. I think I loved reading so much because I was an abused child and reading kind of took me away from that for a time at least temporarily. So currently I read 125-150 books a year. My house has so many books in bookcases all over except the bathroom.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”