Were you always a reader?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: Were you always a reader?

Post by Dael Reader »

I was about 5 years old when I learned to read and I've always loved it.
Hallsword
Favorite Book: The 11.05 Murders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hallsword.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Hallsword »

My mother says I began to read when I was 2. I've been a voracious reader ever since. As I grew up reading became the escape for me. I loved spending hours "living" in the setting of the book I was reading at the time and getting to know the characters.
StephanieCorinne22
Currently Reading: Counted Righteous in Christ
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephaniecorinne22.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by StephanieCorinne22 »

I have always been a reader! Ever since I could read I have always read a ton. I think it is amazing that over 20 years later, I still love to read just as much as when I was a kid.
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 »

I've always been a reader, as long as I can remember. I know it got me in trouble a few times in elementary school, when I'd rather be reading than listen to the lesson. My teachers were always conflicted on how to punish a kid for reading.
KatSims92
Currently Reading: The Beauty Myth
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katsims92.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by KatSims92 »

Not at all. I didn't pick up an interest in reading until my mid-teens. The only other books I read were assigned in school (which I hated) or were Harry Potter books. I started reading lots of self-help which led me to read even more genres, and here I am. I remember having an early proficiency in reading, but once school forced horrible books on me, I lost interest for a long time.
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

Kia wrote: 23 Mar 2016, 16:55
bluemel4 wrote:I wish I could say yes, but I did not start reading until 4th grade. I was peer pressured by a friend to start and once I did I never stopped. It got so bad that I would read while walking to classes and pump into all sorts of things: People, walls, doors, book bags... You name it I bumped into it. It didn't stop me from having my nose in a book though.
I used to do that too! I can't believe I never got hit by a car.
Me three!

My grandma had to hold my arm in the crosswalk when I went to elementary school; I was always trying to finish another chapter before class. :lol:

I still live in a rural area so we have very few TV options and it is so expensive it is not worth it. Thank goodness for WiFi and ebooks!

My childhood was pretty much spent at the library and bookstore since I could spend hours reading.
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
ahmaria
Currently Reading: Beloved
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahmaria.html
Latest Review: Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry by Kaviru Gayathri Samarawickrama

Post by ahmaria »

My parents tell me that I was an avid reader from the time I learned how, and I can't remember a time that I didn't love to read either. There's been ebbs and flows in the actual frequency with which I read, but the enjoyment that comes from it has never changed.
Eclectic_novels
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclectic-novels.html
Latest Review: The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter by Jordan David

Post by Eclectic_novels »

Reading has always been a love even as a child. I did find that while attending college that I did not read as much probably due reading textbooks. There were also a couple of years when my kiddo was young that I just did not have the luxury.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

I didn't read until I was almost 13, for the lack of availability of proper books. Though these days, internet and reduced prices online have made me an avid reader :D
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

Yes, I was always a reader. As a young child, my parents read to me. Then, I read to them and to anyone who would listen. Finally, I read to myself and haven't stopped.
ccranston
Favorite Book: The Last Time I Lied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccranston.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by ccranston »

Yes! When I was younger reading was all I wanted to do. My parents had a hard time grounding me or sending me to my room. I enjoyed being alone and reading, so not much of a punishment. They would joke that to punish me, they would make me go out to social events.
Juliar252
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliar252.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Juliar252 »

Yes, I loved reading as a kid! I remember staying up late, reading a book under my covers with a flashlight when my parents thought I was asleep.
HailKingEbi
Currently Reading: The Notebook
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailkingebi.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by HailKingEbi »

I've always been the bookworm. I love books, so reading came easily to me. Often found myself reading anything I could get my hands on.
We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings - Doctor Manhattan.
Runningmama
Currently Reading: Passion
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Runningmama »

I have always been a reader. I recently figured out that I love rainy days because when I was a kid, it meant we got to stay inside during recess and I could read. :)
High School AP English kind of killed it for me for a few years, but I was able to get back into books fairly easily when I got into college.
I'm hoping to raise my daughter to love books as much as I do.
gregs317
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gregs317 »

Yes, I still remember my mom taking my brother and I with a couple of neighbor kids, on a walk to the public library. I was in elementary school and we had fun on these little trips.

Around 6th or 7th grade I think is when I started reading the Hardy Boys books, which were great books to read, for me.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”