Goodreads: yay or nay?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Emma Woods
Bookshelf Size: 2

Goodreads: yay or nay?

Post by Emma Woods »

I'm a member of Goodreads, but not a super active one, and though they have really great groups, I like this forum format a little bit better. What do you think?
Freida Livery
Bookshelf Size: 2897
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Freida Livery »

I've been pretty active on Goodreads. I basically use it to catalog my ever growing list of books. Plus I keep track of a few of my favorite author's blogs. I don't participate too much in the forums though. I personally think it has gotten too big.
Emma Woods

Post by Emma Woods »

That makes sense. Maybe that's why I don't do the forums there much. But I do like the "progress push" from kindle to Goodreads. That's a nice feature.
Sarah Penney
Favorite Author: Tom Clancy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-penney.html
Latest Review: The Immigrant's Lament by Mois benarroch
fav_author_id: 7289

Post by Sarah Penney »

I don't really use Goodreads for the forums. I use it more to keep track of what books I want to read as well as to post any reviews that aren't connected with this site. The different lists are also really helpful. I've found a lot of good books just by looking around that site and then heading over to Amazon.
"My best friend is a person who will give me a book I have not read." -Abraham Lincoln
CCtheBrave
Favorite Author: Jorge Luis Borges
Currently Reading: Under Wildwood
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccthebrave.html
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
fav_author_id: 2819

Post by CCtheBrave »

@Sarah Penney I use Goodreads to track the books I want to read, too,. I also like using it to contact authors as a beta reader. It's cool to be able to have open discussions with well known authors. In fact, that's what I like about twitter, too, people seem to be more willing to communicate if it's only a one or two line message
read well and write bravely
Sarah Penney
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah Penney »

CCtheBrave:

I agree! Authors do seem to be more inclined to communicate with readers through twitter. Which is funny since they are probably used to writing stories with tens of thousands of words in them. Although, it's probably more for convenience than anything.
"My best friend is a person who will give me a book I have not read." -Abraham Lincoln
Emma Woods

Post by Emma Woods »

So have any of you done the suggestion thing for books? Like when I first signed up, I put in a title I have read, and it came up with (10?) suggested titles. That's how I got most of my "want to read" list.
Sarah Penney
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah Penney »

I have done the suggestion thing for books. However, normally I now just go looking through lists on similar topics. Especially since most of the suggested books they're coming up with now are books I've already read.
Skylar01

Post by Skylar01 »

I have not done done the suggestion thing for books. However, when I started Goodreads I was pretty active. I do not interact in the groups as much as I used to. I try to leave reviews and add to my TBR list. It is growing, but it helps me to remember the things I want to read. Maybe one day I will complete it.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I am a member there too, but I am not active there. I much prefer this site. 8)

I used it for catalog my books, but now we have our own bookshelves to keep truck of books. :)

You can post here unofficial reviews as well by the way.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Eric Morris
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: The Other Daughter
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacnthabox.html
Latest Review: Acts of the Shaddai by Anthony Jones
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Eric Morris »

I have a Goodreads account because I have friends with accounts so I can see what they're reading. Also, many of the author's I've reviewed on this site hang out on Goodreads, so I can keep up with them, as well.

I don't personally use Goodreads because I find that there are way too many book snobs and those who are overly critical in a manner that conveys they don't really get enjoyment from reading in the first place. It's hard to trust a critical review on Goodreads; I far prefer the reviews here as they are more honest and genuine. The reviewers and regular posters seem to simply enjoy books and the reading thereof more.
Tell me something...You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?
TeaAndSpooks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 50187">The Girl from the Well</a>
Currently Reading: The Bionics
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teaandspooks.html
Latest Review: "Fantasy or Reality" by Ruth Andrews Garnes

Post by TeaAndSpooks »

I LOVE goodreads! I use my account everyday and I really love that they have an app for smart phones! (So I can add books when I don't have access to a computer). My Shelves on goodreads are about 250 more than on here because books are easier to find (I've only ever had to add one book that wasn't already in their database) and I don't have to go in and edit genre's or add covers because they already have everything available.

I would really love it if Onlinebookclub made an app like goodreads, I would use it everyday! I'm all about convenience, because I travel a lot.
CCtheBrave
Favorite Author: Jorge Luis Borges
Currently Reading: Under Wildwood
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccthebrave.html
fav_author_id: 2819

Post by CCtheBrave »

I'm with you, it would be a really good idea to have an online book club ap, I'd probably be on the site a lot more if there was an app!
read well and write bravely
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

TeaAndSpooks wrote:I LOVE goodreads! I use my account everyday and I really love that they have an app for smart phones! (So I can add books when I don't have access to a computer). My Shelves on goodreads are about 250 more than on here because books are easier to find (I've only ever had to add one book that wasn't already in their database) and I don't have to go in and edit genre's or add covers because they already have everything available.

I would really love it if Onlinebookclub made an app like goodreads, I would use it everyday! I'm all about convenience, because I travel a lot.
Our Shelves are pretty new, so we don't have that many books on them yet. Given time, we will catch up. 8)

I believe Scott, the web-master, is working on building the app.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
TeaAndSpooks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 50187">The Girl from the Well</a>
Currently Reading: The Bionics
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teaandspooks.html

Post by TeaAndSpooks »

gali wrote:
TeaAndSpooks wrote:I LOVE goodreads! I use my account everyday and I really love that they have an app for smart phones! (So I can add books when I don't have access to a computer). My Shelves on goodreads are about 250 more than on here because books are easier to find (I've only ever had to add one book that wasn't already in their database) and I don't have to go in and edit genre's or add covers because they already have everything available.

Our Shelves are pretty new, so we don't have that many books on them yet. Given time, we will catch up. 8)

I believe Scott, the web-master, is working on building the app.

I've added quite a few books myself, and I don't mind doing it when I have the time! :)

oooooooo, that's exciting news! I look forward to it!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”