What was the book you hated reading for school?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Booky_BettyC
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55482">Hex Hall</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booky-bettyc.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel

Re: What was the book you hated reading for school?

Post by Booky_BettyC »

Romeo and Juliet as well as Hamlet. We had to read along with a tape. Our teacher would stop the tape after a couple of sentences and describe for 5-10 minutes what was going on and why. Just thinking about it makes me cringe!
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
don-deb-puck
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by don-deb-puck »

The book I most disliked reading at school was in matriculation it was called "Lord of the Rings", it was about two groups of children and how they adapted to living on a island.
I just could not understand how quick they regressed to primitive living.
It was heavy reading and I do not think I actually read the whole book.
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

don-deb-puck wrote:The book I most disliked reading at school was in matriculation it was called "Lord of the Rings", it was about two groups of children and how they adapted to living on a island.
I just could not understand how quick they regressed to primitive living.
It was heavy reading and I do not think I actually read the whole book.
I think you're thinking of Lord of the Flies. I absolutely hated reading that one as well.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Probably Moby Dick. I had a very difficult time getting into it. I tried reading it again a few years ago and still couldn't get myself to finish it. It is rare that I do not finish a book.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Pineapple Sunset
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pineapple-sunset.html

Post by Pineapple Sunset »

I hated Lord of the Flies.
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by lily_kh87 »

I hated reading The Black Beauty. It was so boring.
Beauty and the Books
Currently Reading: A Court of Mist and Fury
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beauty-and-the-books.html

Post by Beauty and the Books »

The book I really really hated reading for High School was in my Sophmore year and we read The Grape of Wrath. I really did not like that book. When I start a book, it needs to catch my attention and Grapes of Wrath's first chapter described dust and I just couldn't get into it at all. I dislike Grapes of Wrath even more than I dislike Canturbery Tales. Canturbery Tales which I just read my Junior year. I mainly didn't like because I became sick when we were reading it and had to do most of the work on my own and I just couldn't figure it out and understand it.
Terri Morgan

Post by Terri Morgan »

Wuthering Heights.....hands down. I didn't like the characters or the storyline. There has never been another book I disliked more!
Nichol

Post by Nichol »

Oh yeah. Great Gatsby was a dull read for an 11-year-old. But in hindsight it was a great read
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Nichol wrote:Oh yeah. Great Gatsby was a dull read for an 11-year-old. But in hindsight it was a great read

Wow, that's very young to have been given to read. I cannot imagine anyone understanding the themes in it until later high school.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
George Ndirangu

Post by George Ndirangu »

Some swahili book titled
Damu Nyeusi
erica_bvs
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 668">Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince</a>
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erica-bvs.html

Post by erica_bvs »

In Spanish 2 we had to read Esperanza and Rebeldes de Tejas. Honestly, the books were fine, but we had to read every chapter 3-4 times and since the books were in basic Spanish there wasn't really any interesting plot happening in each book so after a while it became incredibly boring and tedious.
lraczova_87
Currently Reading: In the Garden of Beasts
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lraczova-87.html
Latest Review: "Granny's Stories" by Margaret Henderson

Post by lraczova_87 »

I've always hated anything in the fantasy realm, so for me A Wrinkle in Time in 7th grade was impossible, and The Hobbit in 8th grade was a disaster (especially because of the social stigma my teacher tried to put on me for not liking the book or the series).
When I was homeschooled in elementary school, my mom told me I couldn't read any other book until I finished Mara, Daughter of the Nile. I never finished it, but I had to read in secret under my cover at night for nearly a year before my mom forgot that she had banned all other books until that one was finished.
Latest Review: "Granny's Stories" by Margaret Henderson
davidh219

Post by davidh219 »

I never read any of the books I was supposed to in school. I was a bad student and didn't do much of anything I was supposed to do.

I recently read The Old Man and the Sea, which is a book commonly found in school, although I can't remember if our school taught it. I really loved it, but then again I'm 25 years old and I've already read many hundreds of books, studied writing craft, and written my own stories. Would I have loved it when I was a teenager and if it was forced on me? Definitely not. The books they have kids read in high school are dumb choices and overwhelmingly books that would be better served by being read later in life.
ThousandsHardships
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thousandshardships.html

Post by ThousandsHardships »

I didn't like Great Expectations, which we had to read in 9th grade. In college, the books I struggled getting through were Les champs d'honneur by Jean Rouaud and Monsieur by Jean-Philippe Toussaint. Oh yeah, and anything by Proust.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”