What was the book you hated reading for school?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: What was the book you hated reading for school?

Post by Storygamer88 »

There's a lot I dislike. In general, I dislike scifi or dystopia so stuff like Fahrenheit 451 and The Time Machine rub me wrong. Same with annoying protagonists who sound naggy like Holden, so Catcher in the Rye too. But outside of that...many others. Too many to list.

In fairness, I found a lot of gems I loved too though :)
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Ssinghal
Bookshelf Size: 1113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssinghal.html
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna

Post by Ssinghal »

We had to read all 3 volumes of Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome and it was very frustrating. The story is nothing but a compilation of humorous incidents, with boring and dreadfully long descriptions of nature in the middle. I was elated when the exam was finally over and I didn't have to read it anymore.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one...
-George RR Martin
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna
Ms Savvy Reader
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ms-savvy-reader.html

Post by Ms Savvy Reader »

The book that I hated reading in school was 'The Spire' because I had no idea what the writer was really getting at. I think I was just too immature at the time to appreciate William Golding's sophisticated imagery/symbolism.
Stez16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stez16.html
Latest Review: Forgiven by Geoff Lawson

Post by Stez16 »

I had to read lord of the flies in high school and it was so frustrating. And animal farm was definitely not my favourite
Jenshyla
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Jenshyla »

Dyslexic-Superhero wrote:I often talk with friends about high school "war stories" of books we had to read for class. My set of friends were always in the honor and ap English classes and I had severe reactions to some of the books we had to read. And I wondered what other horrors were pushed upon young minds.
High school life was good despite some set books, I really hated the book called,"The Whale Rider" I always developed a headache whenever I heard of that book because the name of the characters were somehow confusing and too hectic to master them but I thank God because it was an optional book.
SilviaP21
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silviap21.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by SilviaP21 »

Moby Dick. I was 12 when I read it and it had way too much description for me at that time
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
Buchacha21
Currently Reading: China Virus
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buchacha21.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Buchacha21 »

I hate being forced to read specific books, which is why I don't think I ever enjoyed any of the books we read in school. Looking back now, I think maybe part of it was because I just wasn't at the appropriate reading level for those books. I might enjoy reading them now and, actually, many of those books are on my "to read" list. This includes:
Animal Farm
Heart of Darkness
I Am David
Lord of the Flies
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

SilviaP21 wrote:Moby Dick. I was 12 when I read it and it had way too much description for me at that time
That was one that I gave a second chance to when I was older; I still couldn't get into it. So many others have been better the second time around.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
KN17488
Currently Reading: A Dog's Purpose
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by KN17488 »

I have liked most of the books I have had to read for grade school and high school so far, but there was this one book in fifth grade I hated so much. I never ended reading it. It was The Watsons Go to Birmingham. It is odd for me not read a book especially as homework, but I hated it so much. I would want to try and read it again just to see if now that I am older if it would be better read now.
Ama Idim
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Ama Idim »

'The Tempest', I won't say I hated it, but it took me a long time to understand it. Maybe, I wasnt ready for it at that time we were studying it.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Star88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star88.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Star88 »

I had to read Anthem by Ayn Rand. The way she portrayed women was horrrible. Also, the main character pissed me off due to his personality.
Kat Kennedy
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-kennedy.html
Latest Review: "All About Water" by Greg Chick, Marta Zarrella

Post by Kat Kennedy »

Moby Dick! I couldn't handle the whole chasing a whale, skinning a whale, etc. I barely Out through the Cliff's Notes.
Latest Review: "All About Water" by Greg Chick, Marta Zarrella
Buchacha21
Currently Reading: China Virus
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buchacha21.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Buchacha21 »

Heart of Darkness. It was way beyond my comprehension at that age. Same with Lord of the Flies and Animal Farm.
Sammyboo2210
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sammyboo2210 »

Jane Eyre? Senior year of high school. I thought this book would be very climatic with its suspense, but it was a huge let down. I understand the time frame the story was based on was a time where painting your nail hot pink would be scandalous, but really for the hype the book brought up and the “young and the restless” tone it set after the suspense was down right boring and uneventful. The sappy romance didn’t help much and I felt like I was caught up in an 1800s version of what is the trash you see on television now.
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

I really disliked LP Hartley's 'The Shrimp and the Anemone' in school. Oddly later on I read 'The Go-Between' by the same writer with some of the same characters and enjoyed it!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”