Have You Converted to Audio Books Yet?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
reviewnow365
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewnow365.html

Re: Have You Converted to Audio Books Yet?

Post by reviewnow365 »

I love to listen to audio books, but I also like the normal books too!
Mickaila
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Favorite Book: The Iliad
Currently Reading: Most Evil by Michael Stone
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mickaila.html
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by Mickaila »

I tried, but I can't really get into it, the voice I'm hearing reading isn't the voice in my head that gives the characters and tones I'm used to so I could never appreciate the value of audio books. Maybe one day.
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
dheyd
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dheyd.html

Post by dheyd »

I've honestly never tried audio books, but I'd rather read than listen.
CloudedRune
Currently Reading: Paper Towns
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cloudedrune.html
Latest Review: "Why is the moon following us?" by María Escobedo Cubas

Post by CloudedRune »

I absolutely love audio books! I gain a lot of enjoyment from them.
Latest Review: "Why is the moon following us?" by María Escobedo Cubas
DarkTrick
Favorite Author: Maria V. Snyder
Favorite Book: I am The Great Horse
Currently Reading: Allies and Assassins
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darktrick.html

Post by DarkTrick »

I've honestly never tried, and I'm not sure if I will in the future.
I've always enjoyed the personal involvement in reading, I guess I'm paranoid that just listening may take away from that feeling.
lisasbookadventures
Currently Reading: This Book Needs A Title
Bookshelf Size: 470
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisasbookadventures.html

Post by lisasbookadventures »

I've tried the audio book of sense and sensibility by Jane Austen ( on cassette tapes the old way xD ).
The experience did not go so well, at the end of the book I had no idea what actually happened. I guess my brain understands it better when it can read instead of hear something.
Or maybe it was just because it's a classic and not in my own language that it might have been more difficult. I'm not giving up though, i'll keep trying !
Airam Velarde
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2828">The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes</a>
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-airam-velarde.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
fav_author_id: 2444

Post by Airam Velarde »

I honestly have never tried audio books. It is something that I am very curious about though. I would really like to try an audio book but I have a feeling that I might end up getting easily distracted. I think reading a normal book gets my full attention, but if I rely only on my hearing, my mind might start to wander.
"A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor."

~Victor Hugo
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
Zannie
Currently Reading: Defending Jacob
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reading Device: B000FI73MA

Post by Zannie »

When I get really sick and I cannot hold a book long enough to read, I find an Audio Book on YouTube to listen to. That way I am entertained while I get well.
darkfae2317
Favorite Author: Diana Gabaldon
Favorite Book: Outlander Series
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darkfae2317.html
fav_author_id: 2373

Post by darkfae2317 »

I mostly read books. but sometimes I'll listen to audiobooks. I find that a lot of the time I'll end up "tuning" it out and have to rewind. So for me audiobooks only work when I'm not focused on something else
TiffanyJade
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiffanyjade.html
Latest Review: "Whispers of a Soul" by Chantal Emmenis

Post by TiffanyJade »

I don't use them just because they are so expensive and sometimes I hate the voice of the reader.
Latest Review: "Whispers of a Soul" by Chantal Emmenis
Juliette

Post by Juliette »

Having just listened to two different audiobooks on a long trip, I realized they are not for me. While it did help pass the time (I was driving) there were too many distractions on the eyes, causing me to lose focus and realize a few minutes later I wasn't even listening. I do enjoy hearing the narrator to set a certain tone, but I will stick with reading books.
Titanoboa92
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-titanoboa92.html
Latest Review: "Aim For The Moon" by Gladys Lim

Post by Titanoboa92 »

I've never listened to an audio book before. I think I would try it on a car trip, but I've heard they're slow and I like normal reading anyway.
Latest Review: "Aim For The Moon" by Gladys Lim
Salma Siddiqui
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-siddiqui.html

Post by Salma Siddiqui »

Yes! I love listening to audiobooks during my 40-minute long commute to work. I find it easier to follow a book that I've already read to starting a new one. However, after getting used to audiobooks for a couple of months, I'm able to listen to new, fictional books without losing my place. I do find it easier to listen to non-fiction books.

I listened to the entire Harry Potter series because I simply adore the narrator, Jim Dale. I also like to listen to Jane Austen novels and biographies. Right now, I am listening to Stephen King's The Shining. It's spooky to listen to it but it's very enjoyable.

My public library offers an audiobook database that allows a three-week rental, free! However, I am an Audible Subscriber for audiobooks that I'd like to keep.
Krystagbelen
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krystagbelen.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer

Post by Krystagbelen »

We used to listen to audio books in class. I always hated it! I have extremely sensitive hearing and sometimes I can't listen to the voices on the recordings. I also get extremely tired when I'm listening to audio books and find myself dozing off. When I actually read my brain starts to work and i feel more awake.
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
troniz

Post by troniz »

I prefer to read a book over everything. However I have noticed I don't have room or I don't want to ruin a regular book so I went with ebooks. Then I went with audiobooks. I love them. I use them at work and it helps the day go by. Then again I also read multiple books at once I switch books every so often. I just get to bored if I'm not doing multiple things at once.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”