Have You Converted to Audio Books Yet?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
audiobooks
Bookshelf Size: 0

Have You Converted to Audio Books Yet?

Post by audiobooks »

Hey guys,

I hope this subject is not taboo in this forum but I am keen to find out if any of you have dabbled in audio books yet?

If so how was the transition?
Have audio books replaced your reading habits or just complimented them?

Thanks in advance

Alvin
Beth Hoke

Post by Beth Hoke »

Love, love, love audiobooks! Mainly because I can listen to audiobooks while I clean my house and while I drive. They have definitely not replaced reading regular books, though. Now I just get to read/listen to twice as many books.
victory08

Post by victory08 »

I'm listening sometimes audio books.. the last was - Da Vinchi code. But i like reading more
aykoola

Post by aykoola »

No and no 8) quite cinservative 'bout that :D
Косово је срце Србије!!!
Comeflyaway

Post by Comeflyaway »

I've tried audio books here and there, and I appreciate getting to listen to stories while I'm on long car trips or the metro. But at the same time, they completely slow me down and make me really impatient. For example, I got "To Kill a Mockingbird" on CD just before a long car trip (somehow I'd never read it in high school or since, so I decided it was time), and managed to make it through the first 7 hours or so before I gave up, only halfway through the story. When I got home, I got a print copy out of the library and finished the second half in the time it took for my hubby to take a nap. As far as I'm concerned, for as many perks as audio books have, this downside is a killer!
TeddyP

Post by TeddyP »

I can not do it.

I just don;t focus that way - no audio book will keep my attention -and I have tried a couple.

I guess I just process information in a way that makes audio books useless.
tatiana

Post by tatiana »

No, and I don't think I will soon. Still prefer reading. :)
books4smarts

Post by books4smarts »

I have read many books in the audio form, unabridged, is the best.

I used to drive a truck cross country, and so had many many hours behind the wheel,

One of the ways that I passed the time was to read read read,
vanillaswirl87

Post by vanillaswirl87 »

I LOVE audiobooks. I started reading them when I started a new semester and all I did was drive. It is so nice. All I do is drive, but I enjoy it now and hate the radio. I am also able to enjoy the books better than if I were to just read them. Some of the narrators are amazing and the characters within the books really come alive. I recommend, but once you start you might not want to get out of your car every again.
mrsdalloway

Post by mrsdalloway »

Hmmm I don't like them at all.
I can see how they can be useful though, if you go on a long walk, washing the dishes and all that.
But I think it's a very 'dangerous' thing, with the increasing number of people who will not touch a book, can't even write an essay at school and all that.
Sad times ):
'The word-coining genius, as if thought plunged into a sea of words and came up dripping'
Muna

Post by Muna »

I am not exactly pro e-books, not to mention audio books. Not that they're useless or anything, on the contrary, they come in handy in many situations. But the beauty of books is your ability to touch each page, to leaf through it when you please, to feel the pleasure of being able to put it next to your night stand to read it. I love books.
stevephilipps

Post by stevephilipps »

I think that i have tried at least once an audio book, but for me they will never replace reading a book. There are several things i prefer about reading, for one you can read certain parts over again, and when you use an audio book, the voices of the characters are set in stone, whereas reading a book, you create in your mind what you think the voices of the characters would sound like. Audio books do have their uses though, they take up less space than a regular book as they can be stored on a hard drive, and they are a lot cheaper to produce, and create less waste.
stevephilipps

Post by stevephilipps »

But that is mostly my personal opinion.
sharon.gmc

Post by sharon.gmc »

I haven't tried audio books yet because I really love reading. I might try one though because these days. I have poetry audio books and the first time I listened to them, I can't understand them. I'd rather read poetry than listen. But that's just me.
Delph

Post by Delph »

Hi,
I haven't enough time to read book (or I should stop sleeping), but as I'm driving a lot, I tried audio books. It is different from reading but very pleasant as well, the reader are often very good and it's a good way to improve my english. It really allowed me to go back into reading a lot of books, a passion that I otherwise couldn't fulfill by lack of time.
Anyway, I still love reading paper books from time to time, this is a pleasure that can't be completely replaced!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”