Have You Converted to Audio Books Yet?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Kawther22
Currently Reading: The Sea-Wolf
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kawther22.html
Latest Review: So, You're Raising Your Grandkids! by Harriet Hodgson

Re: Have You Converted to Audio Books Yet?

Post by Kawther22 »

I haven't transitioned to audio books mainly because I have very sensitive ears that can be easily over-stimulated so I find it hard to listen to something for a long time. I have no issues with reading even if I'm reading very long books.
“I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.” – Groucho Marx :D :tiphat: :techie-studyinggray:
Bri C
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bri-c.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov

Post by Bri C »

I can see how audiobooks are a good tool for some people, but they just don't work well for me. Even ignoring the whole auditory processing disorder (which let's be real, is a pretty major problem), it's so much slower and so many voices annoy me. I want to like them, so that I can listen to books while I do chores and drive, but I just can't get into them.

The only books I listen to on audio are in foreign languages, and that's solely to get more practice listening. I generally buy things like Harry Potter, where it doesn't matter if I miss a whole section because I know the entire series so well.
Sarah Morse
Currently Reading: The Mermaid, the Witch and the Sea
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-morse.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Sarah Morse »

I used to listen to audiobooks occasionally while I was pursuing my literature degree, but only while I was reading along in my physical copy of the book. I found it actually kept me on track as I completed my reading assignments, but sometimes it bothered me that I was reading faster than the narrator.

On the whole though, I tend to stick to reading myself. I find I get more out of the book that way because it can be so easy to tune out while solely listening to an audiobook. I respect audiobooks as an art form, and I’m glad so many people find them helpful. They just don’t work well for me.

I have been told on multiple occasions, however, that I should become an audiobook narrator because my voice is well-equipped for it. So I would be willing to make audiobooks. I just can’t rely on them for my personal reading purposes.
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." – Walt Disney
JustineSophia2
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justinesophia2.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by JustineSophia2 »

I have listened to a few audio books and I've really found it hard to enjoy them. Is that something that changes over time? I feel like depending on who is doing the voices sometimes it doesn't match the characters in the novel and feels disconnected. perhaps I haven't listened to the right audio books. Still, there is nothing better than a hard copy book.
- The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go. —Dr. Seuss
Abigail Klinkerman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-klinkerman.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Abigail Klinkerman »

Audiobooks I think take away from the satisfaction that comes with finishing a good book. So- no i have not converted and don't plan to.
Alexandra1234
Currently Reading: The Cult Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandra1234.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Alexandra1234 »

I have only tried an audio book once. It was The Easy Way by Allan Carr, to help me with my tabacco addiction. Because I really wanted it to work, I was reading and listening to the audio book at once. It did work and after finishing the book I stopped. I haven't tried an audio book since but would like to.
'' A book is a dream you hold in your hand.'' - Neil Gaiman
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I don’t prefer audiobooks. They do not give me the happiness that I get by reading books. And listening requires a lot of attention. But I’ve listened to the summaries of few books which I didn’t want to read.
Catie139
Currently Reading: Catena Aurea
Bookshelf Size: 12861
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catie139.html
Latest Review: The L.I.G.H.T. Seminar by Deacon Michael Wesley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Catie139 »

Every once in a while I listen to an audio book, but I much prefer actually reading it myself. As I listen, I have to be doing something which still allows me to focus on the book. Reading for myself forces me to slow down, and helps me to focus better. In addition to the slowing down aspect, I'm not usually keen on listening to the way someone else reads. Several of the audio books I've listened to have a lot of words mispronounced, which really irks me.
Xenolyph
Currently Reading: Flowers in the Attic
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xenolyph.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Xenolyph »

I actually tried audio books while I was commuting. It was a convenient way for me to read while I was limited on my free time. However, I prefer reading a hard copy because I can personalize my reading experience.
emoore12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by emoore12 »

I think audiobooks are a great resource for people who do not like reading books or can't make time to read otherwise. I rarely listen to audiobooks. It's hard for me to focus and keep up with the plot, and I prefer actually reading the book. For me, physical books (and sometimes ebooks) are the way to go!
alkaMish
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alkamish.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by alkaMish »

Not yet. I would definitely like to give it a try. But the purpose of reading is not just to know the story for me. I love the way my mind goes into its own world while I read, which I don't think would be possible with audio books. I also read to improve my language, this also would not be possible with audio books.
VISHWA129
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vishwa129.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by VISHWA129 »

I have actually! Though I must say, I usually prefer buying audiobooks for books that I have already read, so that I can reread them via audio. I love doing this because it gives me a chance to reread some of my favorite books without ignoring all the new books I still have to read. I can read while driving, while folding laundry, or while working out. The only book I've read solely as an audiobook was Just Listen by Sarah Dessen. Other than that, my Audible library is filled with books from my favorite series or standalones that I adore.
Henrytbab
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henrytbab.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Henrytbab »

I tried it once and found that it's either the reader is too slow or too fast for my liking. So I still prefer reading myself. I might switch to both later on.
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
-George Bernard Shaw
car-mbz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-car-mbz.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by car-mbz »

I love audiobooks only for books that I love. For books that are not my favourite, I find that their audio make me get bored easily as opposed to reading for myself.
"Today a reader, tomorrow a leader." Margaret Fuller
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
C3cilia
Currently Reading: My "enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c3cilia.html
Latest Review: Divine Simplicity Day 3...Unity In The Community by Yasher Echad El

Post by C3cilia »

Nope.i can't work with audio books.My attention will shift alot.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”