Have You Converted to Audio Books Yet?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
nfdaniel85
Currently Reading: A Sick Life
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdaniel85.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Re: Have You Converted to Audio Books Yet?

Post by nfdaniel85 »

Audio books are life! Simon Vance, Kate Rudd, Jim Dale, the list of great narrators is never ending. However, a bad narrator can ruin a good book so be careful. Kate Rudd could read the instructions off of a Hamburger Helper box and make it great.
If you have kindle unlimited I very much suggest smashing the free read and listen button with Jeff Wheeler books.
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

I listen to the audio if I have to do something that I find boring or a waste of time. That way it's not any of those two things.
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mailis »

I think they can come quite handy and are comfortable option in some cases, but usually the voice reading the books starts to influence my opinion of the story and book and that bothers me.
kristinajoy07
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kristinajoy07 »

I wish I was! They seem so helpful for when you’re cleaning or on a long trip, but I simply cannot process language like that. I find myself tuning it out like a conversation I don’t want to listen to! I’ve tried varying the speed but I just don’t think it’s for me
DustinPBrown
Currently Reading: My Family and Other Animals
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustinpbrown.html
Latest Review: It's Never Water Under the Bridge by Rianne Moss

Post by DustinPBrown »

I read in all different kinds of ways, I don't get why some people act like there's any "right" way to read something. I listen to audio books, I read on my kindle, and I still buy paperbacks. They've all got their own advantages/disadvantages, but in the end, I'm being told a story, and that's the most important part.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

I used audio books heavily when I lived in the USA and it was necessary to commute to work by car. Since leaving the States a few years ago, I only use audiobooks in one way: while I knit!
SparklesonPages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklesonpages.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by SparklesonPages »

I haven’t yet but I suppose it would depend on finding the right audio book.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane

Post by kfwilson6 »

I absolutely cannot stand to be read to. I don't want an audio book, I don't want my husband reading me a news article, I don't want my friend reading off menu items. I am completely visual and I can read a heck of a lot faster in my head than someone can read out loud to me. I don't know what it is about listening to someone read that drives me nuts but it is so annoying. Please just hand it to me and I'll read it myself :)
littlepinkowl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by littlepinkowl »

I recently converted to audiobooks in the past year or so. I have to up the listening speed a bit though and the narrator can make or break the book. Even books I know I love I can't stand if the narrator is bad. I will say they are a lot better then the were when I originally tried them years ago. So if you haven't tried them recently give them another try.

I don't think I will ever give up regular books I read the most evenings. Audio books are great for being stuck in the car or to listen to while working for a change from music as long as the book isn't too complex to follow.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I wish I could pay attention to audio books. I've tried multiple times, in the car, while out walking, even sitting at home, but my mind zones out and I miss large chunks of story. I also can't visualize anything when listening to an audio book like I can when reading.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I've always assumed I would have trouble with listening to a book. Between my mind wandering and just not being able to get as much out of the auditory input (as opposed to the visual input of actually reading), it makes me nervous to even try it.

That said, I have recently given up on being able to get a couple of titles in book format (been watching and waiting for years and they're just not available). They are, however, available to me as audiobooks, and I'm considering giving it a shot.

:confusion-helpsos: :music-listen: :reading-4:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

When I worked in a town 30 minutes away, I used to love to listen to audiobooks on the commute. Made the commute so much faster. But now that the commute days are over, I love to read from my Kindle
Elke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elke.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Elke »

The thing about audiobooks is, that I can't just sit and listen to the story. I get bored because I feel like I'm not doing anything. When I read I don't get that feeling at all. And after listening to an audiobook, I also feel like I haven't actually 'read' the book. I think I would still want to read the book instead of listening to it. I have listened to a few audiobooks and found that if I'm doing something mundane while listening, it gets better. But I still prefer 'normal' reading.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
naturalmama81
Currently Reading: Different
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naturalmama81.html
Latest Review: Why can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by naturalmama81 »

My kids love audio books, so we listen to audios frequently at our house. Right now, we're listening to The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, by C. S. Lewis, and just finished The Magician's Nephew.

As much as I enjoy listening to audio books with my kids, I confess that I am not an audio learner. When it comes to my personal selection of reading material, I much prefer a real book in my hands.
Jennz123
Favorite Author: Alastair Reynolds
Favorite Book: Ender’s Game
Currently Reading: The Party Crasher
Bookshelf Size: 2232
fav_author_id: 11570

Post by Jennz123 »

I love audiobooks! No heavy book to hold when you’re in bed, don’t have to worry about turning pages, no eye strain and it’s easier to block other people out

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”