BOTM Contender Discussion and Campaign

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
gali
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Sea of Rust
Bookshelf Size: 1697
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Latest Review: "Enough Rope" by P.L. Doss
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
2017 Reading Goal: 100
Goal Completion: 111
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: BOTM Contender Discussion and Campaign

Post by gali » 16 Aug 2016, 04:49

Gravy wrote:This is the description (but I've also linked to the thread):
At seven minutes past midnight, thirteen-year-old Conor wakes to find a monster outside his bedroom window. But it isn't the monster Conor's been expecting-- he's been expecting the one from his nightmare, the nightmare he's had nearly every night since his mother started her treatments. The monster in his backyard is different. It's ancient. And wild. And it wants something from Conor. Something terrible and dangerous. It wants the truth. From the final idea of award-winning author Siobhan Dowd-- whose premature death from cancer prevented her from writing it herself-- Patrick Ness has spun a haunting and darkly funny novel of mischief, loss, and monsters both real and imagined.
A Monster Calls.

I finally got around to reading it and loved it.

If October falls through I'll be switching my vote back to We Are the Ants :lol:
I voted for the Ants, but I don't mind switching if others want it too. It is on my reading list anyway.
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Currently Reading: Anastasia's Book of Days
Bookshelf Size: 432
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hsimone.html
Latest Review: "Tiny Tim and The Ghost of Ebenezer Scrooge" by Norman Whaler
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Goal Completion: 113
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by hsimone » 16 Aug 2016, 07:13

Now, I remember! This one was a good one, too! For me it's between this one and We Are the Ants. Oh boy! :)
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4

Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Neverwhere
Bookshelf Size: 905
2017 Reading Goal: 60
Goal Completion: 103

Post by Gravy » 17 Aug 2016, 03:16

:lol:

I totally get that 8)
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

:reading-4:

Tami216-
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tami216.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
2017 Reading Goal: 0

Post by Tami216- » 15 Nov 2016, 21:43

I nominated the book Graceling for Botm but I realized afterwards that it may not be eligible. There are two other books that are related to Graceling and written in the same world, but I do not know if it is considered a series. Is it eligible for BOTM?
This book is set in a world where people may be born with all sorts of unique powers and are identifiable by the fact they have two different colored eyes. The main character is an orphaned young women who grew up in the palace of her cruel uncle, the king. She has a seemingly violent power that is commonly misunderstood but which the king has no qualms about taking advantage of. She reluctantly obeyed him for a long time even, though she hated hurting innocent people, until an event that makes her realize she can and must take control of her life.The plot is fantastic and the characters are so amazingly credible that I almost forgot it isn't a true story.

Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: "Roan" by E. R. Barr
Goal Completion: 48

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook » 15 Nov 2016, 23:34

I originally nominated Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson but since it is part of a series, I have changed my nomination to Elantris. I would love to see how other book club members react to the characters and situations they find themselves in. This is a book in the fantasy genre. Sanderson is a master at creating interesting worlds and intriguing characters!

hsimone

Post by hsimone » 06 Jan 2017, 07:52

@Gravy I voted for A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness for the next BOTM contender. I remember we discussed a while ago, and I recently saw the movie trailer, so that's when I remembered to vote for it! You were right about We Are the Ants (I loved it), so I figure you've got to be right about A Monster Calls. :D I hope it gets picked!

Gravy
Favorite Book:

Post by Gravy » 06 Jan 2017, 20:51

hsimone wrote:@Gravy I voted for A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness for the next BOTM contender. I remember we discussed a while ago, and I recently saw the movie trailer, so that's when I remembered to vote for it! You were right about We Are the Ants (I loved it), so I figure you've got to be right about A Monster Calls. :D I hope it gets picked!
I'm not sure if it's eligible anymore, but I guess that depends on when the next vote will be and Scott's discretion :lol:
I very much enjoyed it!

In case it's not eligible, I've nominated The Memory Painter by Gwendolyn Womack. I've not read it yet but it sounds interesting :D
I actually first learned about it here, so I can count it as a goal if I get it read this year.

hsimone

Post by hsimone » 07 Jan 2017, 02:37

Gravy wrote:
hsimone wrote:@Gravy I voted for A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness for the next BOTM contender. I remember we discussed a while ago, and I recently saw the movie trailer, so that's when I remembered to vote for it! You were right about We Are the Ants (I loved it), so I figure you've got to be right about A Monster Calls. :D I hope it gets picked!
I'm not sure if it's eligible anymore, but I guess that depends on when the next vote will be and Scott's discretion :lol:
I very much enjoyed it!

In case it's not eligible, I've nominated The Memory Painter by Gwendolyn Womack. I've not read it yet but it sounds interesting :D
I actually first learned about it here, so I can count it as a goal if I get it read this year.
Oh! It's been made into a movie, so you're right, it's not eligible anymore. :doh:

gali
Site Admin

Post by gali » 07 Jan 2017, 02:40

I nominated "Station Eleven", but either book is fine with me.
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Gravy
Favorite Book:

Post by Gravy » 07 Jan 2017, 04:10

gali wrote:I nominated "Station Eleven", but either book is fine with me.
I need to look into that one :D

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Voltairine de Cleyre
Favorite Book: Of Mice and Men
Currently Reading: Save the Last Bullet for God
Bookshelf Size: 208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
2017 Reading Goal: 36
Goal Completion: 27
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 2660

Post by Scott » 13 Jan 2017, 20:58

I think we need to find a way to get more people to participate in the official nomination process. It's a little sophisticated so that the nomination process is like a vote in itself. Then the actual vote is only a run-off vote between the top four.

The problem is there really aren't enough votes. Right now, the most any book has is 2 or 3 members voting for it.

I have some ideas.

1. I can re-order the page, so the closed results from the last vote are on the bottom and the current nominations are at the top.

2. I can add a one-click vote/nominate button to add a vote to one of the current nominations (similar to voting when there is a run-off vote).

3. I can make the 'nominate for Book of the Month' link on the Bookshelves page for each book more prominent and mobile-friendly.

4. I can send out an email blast linking to the nominations page.

Let me say, I love this topic too as a way to help make the process more personalized and help get folks interested involved in the process. It's nice to have a discussion to supplement the nominations and votes to help members decide if needed.

I read We Are the Ants since it was voted, and now we are doing it in my real life book club too. It's definitely an interesting and engaging read.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid

gali
Site Admin

Post by gali » 14 Jan 2017, 01:12

Scott wrote:I think we need to find a way to get more people to participate in the official nomination process. It's a little sophisticated so that the nomination process is like a vote in itself. Then the actual vote is only a run-off vote between the top four.

The problem is there really aren't enough votes. Right now, the most any book has is 2 or 3 members voting for it.

I have some ideas.

1. I can re-order the page, so the closed results from the last vote are on the bottom and the current nominations are at the top.

2. I can add a one-click vote/nominate button to add a vote to one of the current nominations (similar to voting when there is a run-off vote).

3. I can make the 'nominate for Book of the Month' link on the Bookshelves page for each book more prominent and mobile-friendly.

4. I can send out an email blast linking to the nominations page.

Let me say, I love this topic too as a way to help make the process more personalized and help get folks interested involved in the process. It's nice to have a discussion to supplement the nominations and votes to help members decide if needed.

I read We Are the Ants since it was voted, and now we are doing it in my real life book club too. It's definitely an interesting and engaging read.
Good ideas! :tiphat:

hsimone

Post by hsimone » 14 Jan 2017, 04:14

I agree with gali, these are great ideas, Scott! This is one of my main outlets for discussing books, so I think it's great that you're constantly finding ways to improve and get people more involved. :)

I loved We Are the Ants, and without this club, I would have never known about it.

gali and Gravy, I've read Station Eleven, but it has been a while, so a re-read wouldn't be a bad thing. I think I remember liking it. :eusa-think: :)

greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: Unwritten Rules of Social Relationships
Bookshelf Size: 220
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: "Tears and Trombones" by Nanci Lee Woody
2017 Reading Goal: 0

Post by greenstripedgiraffe » 18 Jan 2017, 09:28

I think having a button highlighted on the front page would help. I've been trying to figure out how the books get chosen, and what the next one will be :D Speaking of that, Does anyone know what February's BOTM will be? Thank you
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase

gali
Site Admin

Post by gali » 18 Jan 2017, 09:31

greenstripedgiraffe wrote:I think having a button highlighted on the front page would help. I've been trying to figure out how the books get chosen, and what the next one will be :D Speaking of that, Does anyone know what February's BOTM will be? Thank you
The February's BOTM is "The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)".

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”