Books that made you cry so badly your tear ducts dried up

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Linda
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Linda »

knightss wrote:I've never cried after reading a book.. or watching a movie.. i don't know i'm just not big on the crying =/
i can understand not ever crying because of a book...but never crying because of a movie?! what is that? are u a robot? how are u supposed to fufill my fantasy of seeing a guy cry...if u never do? .:worried face:.
"I hope you can't sleep and you dream about it
And when you dream I hope you can't sleep and you SCREAM about it
I hope your conscience EATS AT YOU and you can't BREATHE without me"
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

I have a confession. I cry at toilet paper ads with puppies on them.
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

awelker

Post by awelker »

the angel soft commerical with the little puppy is so cute.
"'Tis better to have loved and lost, Than never to have loved at all." - Alfred Lord Tennyson, In Memoriam:27

http://www.shelfari.com/awelker
notrorygilmore

Post by notrorygilmore »

It takes a lot for me to cry, so I've never cried after reading a book. When there is a book that makes me cry, I'll post it here. :wink:
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

I was paying out on a friend once for crying at his wedding, and he said "What are you talking about, you cried at Toy Story!"

knightss

Post by knightss »

sleepydumpling wrote:I was paying out on a friend once for crying at his wedding, and he said "What are you talking about, you cried at Toy Story!"
good movie
"Words can be like x-rays, if you use them properly - they'll go through anything. You read and you're pierced." - Huxely
ClickForth

Post by ClickForth »

As a male I guess I'm not supposed to cry after reading books or something. I did cry at the end of "Pay It Back," though, and I'm not afraid to admit that.
notrorygilmore

Post by notrorygilmore »

Linda wrote:
knightss wrote:I've never cried after reading a book.. or watching a movie.. i don't know i'm just not big on the crying =/
i can understand not ever crying because of a book...but never crying because of a movie?! what is that? are u a robot?
I'm a girl and I've never cried because of a movie either. I guess in my mind I don't see why I should cry when there are real life events worth my tears. Sure the movie or book may reflect real life struggles or pain, but the actors aren't the people actually experiencing the trauma or the pain...so, I'd prefer to cry for the people actually experiencing those things if I were to meet them and hear their stories.

I just don't cry very often. Maybe I am a robot. Or maybe it's that I don't want people to see me cry. Who knows?
Linda

Post by Linda »

notrorygilmore wrote:
Linda wrote:
i can understand not ever crying because of a book...but never crying because of a movie?! what is that? are u a robot?
I'm a girl and I've never cried because of a movie either. I guess in my mind I don't see why I should cry when there are real life events worth my tears. Sure the movie or book may reflect real life struggles or pain, but the actors aren't the people actually experiencing the trauma or the pain...so, I'd prefer to cry for the people actually experiencing those things if I were to meet them and hear their stories.

I just don't cry very often. Maybe I am a robot. Or maybe it's that I don't want people to see me cry. Who knows?
aw wow i didnt kno people could actually not cry at really sad movies. i guess i get so into the movie and like get wrapped up in the story that i can't help it. i think maybe if you aren't that into movies and you can't fully like commit to the stories and escape reality for a hour or two it'd be hard to cry.

ha oh and i cry for real life sad stuff...but i just can't help crying at really sad movies too. don't get me wrong a movie has to be really really good for me to cry, i also have a hard time laughing during movies. everyone will be cracking up in the theater and i'll be waiting for something funnier. its so much easier for me to laugh at myself lol
"I hope you can't sleep and you dream about it
And when you dream I hope you can't sleep and you SCREAM about it
I hope your conscience EATS AT YOU and you can't BREATHE without me"
Anna

Post by Anna »

I laugh and cry during movies very easily. I remember way back when Lion King was showing - me and everyone else were flooding the cinema. I cried during Free Willy too :oops:. Anything about animal cruelty also brings on the water-works.

There's a great show here in Australia, "The Chaser's War on Everything". I sat through five episodes a couple of days ago and was roaring with laughter the whole way through. the neighbours must think a complete nutcase lives here :lol:
________
MEDICAL MARIJUANA CARD
Last edited by Anna on 24 Feb 2011, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

notrorygilmore wrote:I don't see why I should cry when there are real life events worth my tears.
I don't think it's worthiness about the subject matter that brings anyone to tears. I think it's just a matter of how emotional you are. I mean, crying at Toy Story or puppies on the toilet paper commercial doesn't have any "worthiness", but I'm just someone who is who is easily moved emotionally.

Does that make sense?

Rebeca Darklight

Post by Rebeca Darklight »

Yes Cyster, you make a lot of sense.
awelker wrote:i cried like a big baby too when they both died. It was really sad. Both of my favorite characters.
Rowan wrote:I cried at all of the Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants books. Harry Potter when Sirius died got me too. I stayed up all night sitting on my porch bawling my eyes out like a love-sick teenager! White Ghost Girls did it to me for other reasons.
Oh stop it!!! BWWWAAAAHHHAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!! :cry: Both... were... my... favorite... characters too!!!! Rowling, you horrible woman!! DD and Sirius... :cry:
Anna wrote:I laugh and cry during movies very easily. I remember way back when Lion King was showing - me and everyone else were flooding the cinema.
MUFASA!!!! :cry:

Seriously, The Pianist and Schindler's List make me cry from the beginning. Those two movies really get me going.

Hey... I'm... not dead inside apparently. Umm, I always thought I was. Interesting.
Be nice to me! English is not my native language. :)
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

From one Rebecca to another, there is nothing wrong with crying from time to time.
I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
awelker

Post by awelker »

lately i have been crying a lot. i don't know why i just have been.
"'Tis better to have loved and lost, Than never to have loved at all." - Alfred Lord Tennyson, In Memoriam:27

http://www.shelfari.com/awelker
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Me too. Mine has been stress/lack of sleep/and a bit of anxiety :roll: Just shoot me so I can whine about that as well!
I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”