Do You Remove Book Jackets?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Re: Do You Remove Book Jackets?

Post by SparklingOne »

I never shelved my hard backs with the covers,so I used to use the flaps on the covers to hold my spot in the book when I read it.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

I usually remove the jacket, though I rarely throw it away. I'll stash it away somewhere while I'm reading the book. If I keep it on, it both drives me crazy sliding everywhere, and I tend to wreck the jacket when the book gets shoved in a bag. I'll put it back on when I'm done with the book though.
camdiesha
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by camdiesha »

Let's all be honest here: we all want a good book to feel like home. That being said, would you want your furniture to be covered in plastic protective covers? Of course not, unless cleanliness is a serious obsession with you. I feel the same way towards book covers. There's something about an uncovered book that makes it feel more personal, but if I've just received a brand new copy of my favorite book ever then of course I'm going to keep it in the best shape possible.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I usually always do because I don't want to to get messed up while I am reading the book. When it is sitting on my bookshelf looking pretty the book jacket/cover stays on. I am very particular (my husband says I am OCD about it) when it comes to the care of my books especially book covers. I like them to stay the way they came into my hands. Even when I receive a book that I purchased online I get upset if there is anything wrong with the covers (paperback or hardcover).
rebeccahope16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccahope16.html

Post by rebeccahope16 »

It varies. If the book jacket is laminated, like on a library book, then I'm okay with it. However if its just loose paper I take it off and put it back on later :)
Maureen_Do

Post by Maureen_Do »

Sometimes. But mostly I keep bookjackets on.
Nshelbi
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nshelbi.html

Post by Nshelbi »

All of this time. Sometimes the bare book looks better than the jacket. Plus I am an aggressive reader that likes to clutch the book, so I sometimes receive paper cuts or the jacket gets torn. It I store a book for awhile, I will put the jacket back on. Otherwise if a book is good enough that I know I will go back to it multiple times, I will put the jacket into my book jacket box.
amberz
Currently Reading: go set a watchman

Post by amberz »

I try my best to keep the cover on the book to protect its condition! This rarely works for me though. I usually end up pulling the cover off, placing it somewhere 'safe' and never being able to find it once I've finished reading the book!
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

I never remove my book covers, but then again I am a true bibliophile and collector who hates to damage a book. I am quite obsessive (my friends would call it something else :) ) about a books condition.
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
tab2gocrazy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tab2gocrazy.html

Post by tab2gocrazy »

I always keep the jacket on the hardcovers that I buy. They help to protect the actual book.
moosiedoiley
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moosiedoiley.html

Post by moosiedoiley »

I always keep mine on and tape them as well
LadyLeprechaun
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyleprechaun.html

Post by LadyLeprechaun »

I remove them while reading, but never throw them away. They go right back on when I'm done with the book.
pageflipper96
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pageflipper96.html

Post by pageflipper96 »

I remove the hard cover jacket but I keep it and once I'm finished with the book I put the jacket back on, it doesn't feel right to leave my book naked.
Tiffanyrose524
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiffanyrose524.html

Post by Tiffanyrose524 »

I keep mine i love the look and feel of them, could never throw them away
anamcara
Bookshelf Size: 511
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anamcara.html

Post by anamcara »

Gasp! I take it off, but never have thrown them away. I don't want them to get messed up or keep sliding off when I'm trying to read, so I put them some place safe. I replace it once I'm done reading the book.
"Of the knowledge of man, nothing is more unintelligible than the
human heart."

-Homer

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”