Do You Remove Book Jackets?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
+TheREADER+
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Do You Remove Book Jackets?

Post by +TheREADER+ »

Every time I buy a book with a jacket I remove it, because every time I buy a used book it always tells a story on the outside and on the inside.And I want my books to tell a story on the outside to.
youbreccia
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by youbreccia »

anamcara wrote:Gasp! I take it off, but never have thrown them away. I don't want them to get messed up or keep sliding off when I'm trying to read, so I put them some place safe. I replace it once I'm done reading the book.
Same thing I do. The jackets are so lovely, that I would hate to throw them away. Makes me sad thinking about that. :(
Kardelen8012
Currently Reading: The Picture of Dorian Grey
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kardelen8012.html

Post by Kardelen8012 »

I take it off while I'm reading but I always keep it on when the book is on the shelf. Usually they are prettier than the book's own cover. :)
Kaitlynpastor1
Currently Reading: The Choice
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Kaitlynpastor1 »

When I'm reading the book I remove the jacket so it doesn't rip or get messed up. Often I feel like it gets in my way as well. In school it also makes it easier to have just a plain book in my bag, instead of having the paper covering and worrying about it getting ruined.
ibleedtea+chocolate

Post by ibleedtea+chocolate »

I never remove the covers intentionally, but if they grow worn and rip, I don't mind throwing them away. Otherwise I try to keep them as pristine as possible.
fabulasaule
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulasaule.html

Post by fabulasaule »

I hate them and I would like to throw them away even if the book is new. But then I think to myself: it's terrible invention but it helps to save book condition. So then I leave them but I hate them even more. I also dislike when I see other people leaving them even if they are totally worn out and do not function anymore.
LalanaMay

Post by LalanaMay »

I agree with charysma_lill. The covers are always prettier then the binding, and it rarely bothers me to read with one on anyways. If the story is great, I end up lost to my surroundings anyways :)
KatLady9

Post by KatLady9 »

There is nothing more satisfying than to take off the book cover and throw it away. I love the look of the plain hard cover book with the title etched into the binding. Those paper covers make the book seem less authentic.
tlblack

Post by tlblack »

Oh, I keep it! I will remove it when I first start reading it, especially if I plan on toting it around a lot. I want to keep it as nice and new as possible. But when I'm done I always put it back on. Now, if the any of the libraries I visit offer such services, I always try and get a plastic covering put on it to add extra protection. Some libraries charge .50 to $1.00.
Shellb87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shellb87.html

Post by Shellb87 »

I always remove it!
MarissaK21
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by MarissaK21 »

I always remove them before I start reading, just so they don't get torn or scuffed. But I never throw the covers away.
MandySims
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandysims.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by MandySims »

It has never crossed my mind to remove them while reading. They've never been a bother to me. But sometimes I'll take it off just to admire the nice hardback.
adria_charles
Currently Reading: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adria-charles.html
Latest Review: "Turka Bella" by Jonathan Feldman

Post by adria_charles »

Yes. I have this secret wish for myself that I would remove them, place them in a nice and safe place, and then cover the book back up when I am done.

Sadly, this is not the case. The majority of the the time the book jackets become their other name, dust covers. That's what they usually do in my house; collect dust. And lots of it. They are found folded, stashed, shoved, or smushed somewhere on my bookshelves. I find them years later torn up and I am heartbroken.

I don't know why I don't take better care of them! I full heartedly wish I did. Maybe someday I will. And there are some that I leave the jackets on because they fit so snuggly on their books that it doesn't slip off or bother my reading. But with the rest, my books live naked.
Latest Review: "Turka Bella" by Jonathan Feldman
Booky_BettyC
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55482">Hex Hall</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booky-bettyc.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel

Post by Booky_BettyC »

I have always kept mine. I will take it off to read the book, but always put it back on. I think it would drive me mad if I threw it out!
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by barb429 »

I have never thrown away a book jacket. Typically I keep them on while I read, unless they are annoying me. I have never even thought about throwing one away, I always considered it part of the book.
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”