Do You Remove Book Jackets?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
coco_lee
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-coco-lee.html

Re: Do You Remove Book Jackets?

Post by coco_lee »

It feels unnatural for me to remove the book cover! It is not even an option for me unless the cover gets completely destroyed!!
Booklooker
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Booklooker »

I love a good old fashion book. I always keep my book jackets, however, like some of the others the can be annoying and can also get damaged. I always take them off to read but put them back on to keep with the book.
Kaitlyn12
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0">Lost</a>
Currently Reading: City of Bones
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn12.html
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez

Post by Kaitlyn12 »

I never throw the book jacket away! The pictures on it are usually very pretty and it makes the spine of the book less boring when on the shelf. Most hard covered books that I have seen are boring looking without the jacket on it. If it is annoying me when I am reading the book, though, I will take it off. But it always goes back on when I am done reading it!
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez
rachel_bruhn
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #1)
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-jacks.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by rachel_bruhn »

I am part of the majority on this one: I will remove the jacket while I am reading so that it is not sliding around and such, but I always put it back on when I am done. I don't own many books with jackets, but I still own jackets for all the books that have them. :) I don't see the purpose of throwing it away. Most of the time, the cover graphics are on the jacket, but not the book itself, so you are losing something by tossing the jacket. If the cover art appears on both, then at the very least, you are throwing away something that was added to protect your book from damage/wear and tear.
Journey beyond the jacket.
brandy29b
Currently Reading: Tom's River
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy29b.html
Latest Review: "The Daughters' Baggage" by Diane Winger
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by brandy29b »

I remove it and have the cover sitting on my desk for a time. If it doesn't take more more than a month to finish the book, I put the cover back on when I am done. If it takes me more than a month to read the book, I eventually get sick of looking at the cover on my desk and toss it.
Latest Review: "The Daughters' Baggage" by Diane Winger
CCtheBrave
Favorite Author: Jorge Luis Borges
Currently Reading: Under Wildwood
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccthebrave.html
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2819

Post by CCtheBrave »

I know it might devalue a first edition, but I almost always remove he jackets while reading and flatten them out. I never put them back on, either, because I think books look better on bookshelves without them.

Mostly, I keep them as decoration or for a craft project (they become stationary a lot of times). Scandalous, I know!
read well and write bravely
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
Janine

Post by Janine »

I find book jackets on bigger books especially cumbersome and if it keeps slipping etc I will remove it. I do use the flaps as a way to mark my place on either end of the book though.
mamabird0903
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamabird0903.html

Post by mamabird0903 »

I, personally, will remove the cover. To me its just a hindrance to me while I read. Plus its one more thing to have to be careful of. Usually, if I can find it, I will place it back on the book when I am finished reading it. But during I usually take it off.
aparsons
Bookshelf Size: 498
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aparsons.html
Latest Review: "A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One of the Supernatural London Underground series)" by Romarin Demetri

Post by aparsons »

I never thought of using them for crafts! It makes sense though, I modpodged two bookshelves with book pages from my great-uncles destroyed garage.
“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Latest Review: "A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One of the Supernatural London Underground series)" by Romarin Demetri
Analeighni
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-analeighni.html

Post by Analeighni »

Only when being read because I'm not super gentle with my books and book jackets are always really beautiful. But once I'm finished with the book, the jacket is put right back on it! My favorite jacket so far is the one from Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson! :)
aharmon08
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aharmon08.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by aharmon08 »

I remove the book covers just because it gets bent or torn and it kind of falls off anyways. I never throw them out though! I feel like the cover is what brings you to find a book. I mean, that's why people spend so much time on the cover pictures. They want it to be appealing to the eye and I feel like having the constant view of them, bring your library to life. I've found myself studying covers sometimes. Its entertaining to relate the cover to context from the story.
EllieJ
Currently Reading: The Historian
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elliej.html
Latest Review: "The Village Witch" by Neil Davies

Post by EllieJ »

I love everything about the physicality of books; the book cover design, the fonts, the feel and smell of a book. When I read a hardcover with a book jacket I try so hard to handle it delicately when I am reading so as not to crinkle or dog ear the book jacket. Try as I may, I end up taking the jacket off (inwardly cringing when I see the cover underneath does not duplicate the book jacket design on some books) and safely put it aside for when I have finished reading the book. Then the jacket is returned safely and the book is shelved on my book shelf.
Latest Review: "The Village Witch" by Neil Davies
MaiaCer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 51">Summer Lust</a>
Currently Reading: The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maiacer.html
Latest Review: "The Eye of Ra" by Brian J. Davies

Post by MaiaCer »

I remove the book jacket while I am reading the book. I replace the book jacket when I return the book to my library.
I love seeing the different colors on my bookshelf.
Latest Review: "The Eye of Ra" by Brian J. Davies
ressa_francis
Bookshelf Size: 388
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ressa-francis.html
Reading Device: B006PLODWE

Post by ressa_francis »

Sometimes... but only to admire the wonderfully brand-new front cover. Then the jacket goes right back on.

Jackets are a fantastic part of reading a book, although the fold at the spine sometimes gets annoying. My heart bled the one time I lost a jacket and found it buried under a pile of newspapers, several months later.
dottyhoward
Bookshelf Size: 50

Post by dottyhoward »

I always leave the jacket on the book - I would never throw them away. More and more books now don't come with a jacket which is a shame I think.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”