Do You Remove Book Jackets?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 8337

Re: Do You Remove Book Jackets?

Post by Jojowrites4All »

No, there is absolutely no reason to do so.
~ A Lack of Preparation on Your Part - Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on My Part~
Euthyphr0
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Euthyphr0 »

Sometimes I think the book underneath looks nicer than the book with the jacket on. In those cases i toss it or put it aside. Often times the opposite is true, and I'll do my best to preserve or repair the jacket. They can be cumbersome on real thick books, and those get put aside by necessity.
Amose13
Currently Reading: Dragonfly in Amber
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amose13.html
Latest Review: "Jungle Paradise" by A N King

Post by Amose13 »

I generally dislike reading with the dust jacket on, but I never toss it. I'm such a bibliophile in that regards lol I usually either take it off each time i pick it up to read it, or leave it on my book shelf. I bring books with me everywhere, so I fear it will get tattered. That may be why I am so obsessed with my kindle!! I lost it for a few weeks recently and was devastated!! I used to tote 3 or 4 books with me when ever I traveled anywhere, and would always remove that jacket for fear of losing it or destroying it. Now I tote hundreds of books along with me on my kindle!
Latest Review: "Jungle Paradise" by A N King
Amber_Nicole
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amber-nicole.html

Post by Amber_Nicole »

I like to take the book cover off to get a better feel of the book while I'm reading it.
AnushkaL
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anushkal.html
Latest Review: "Torn Hearts" by M.E. Gordon

Post by AnushkaL »

There are few things as annoying as slippery book jacket, but throwing it away? Absolutely not. I just keep jacket aside while I read the book and dress it back up before I return it to the shelf!
Latest Review: "Torn Hearts" by M.E. Gordon
missy_ansell
Currently Reading: Ferran's Map
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missy-ansell.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by missy_ansell »

Usually I will take it off while i'm reading the book so it won't get damaged in any way. Then after i'm finished with the book i'll put it back on!
Xonic1898

Post by Xonic1898 »

I remove my book jackets because I prefer the look of the spine. However, I do keep the jackets in case I'm taking the book with me in the car, to class, etc.
Anailak
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anailak.html

Post by Anailak »

Why yes! I do remove the book jackets. I find that they distract me. So whenever I pick up a new book I take the jacket off and set it on my book shelf and continue reading. When I finish I out the jacket back on, and throw it back on the shelf! Although library books tend to make all the dust jackets CEMENTED on...so I have to deal with those still.
nunu
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nunu.html
Latest Review: "The Sisters Of Kirley" by A I West

Post by nunu »

I always remove the book jacket. However, I don't throw them away! I actually remove them because they get damaged if I'm carrying them in my backpack. After I'm finished with the book, I return the jacket to its rightful place.
Latest Review: "The Sisters Of Kirley" by A I West
Jessicapape
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessicapape.html

Post by Jessicapape »

Nah, I like to keep my books in the exact condition they came in... But occasionally they do end up in the trash.
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

I remove them while I am reading and them replace it before it goes back on the shelf. Personally, I can't stand to read with a book jacket on the book!
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
Goms
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goms.html

Post by Goms »

Left to me, I don't think book jackets should be included at all. I do not see the relevance, they only stick out like a sore thumb and can sometimes be annoying. I remove them and just keep them somewhere until they get lost, or torn or something like that.
Really what purpose do they serve? :x
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I like keeping the book jackets on. It can get annoying when it slips off or moves around, but I think it looks naked without it so I like to keep it on.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
TheRavenwoodReview
Currently Reading: The Nightingale
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theravenwoodreview.html

Post by TheRavenwoodReview »

I do remove the book jackets because I like for my shelves to look more like an old library, but I don't throw them away. I store them together so I can pull one out if someone borrows one of my books. This way my book is protected from dirty hands or wet tables at least on the outside cover. It may be a little odd, but it's what I do. ~KK
echo may

Post by echo may »

I remove it the hardcover body makes the book look original...you know like first editions on my shelf

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”