Do you read books word-by-word or do you scan the book?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2516

Re: Do you read books word-by-word or do you scan the book?

Post by moderntimes »

Reading every word, last night I finished another novel for my mystery review writing. I've been busy lately so I was only reading this bedtime, maybe 30 min to an hour before a zzz'd out. Took me about a week, maybe 8 days, and it's a long novel, perhaps 90k words.

It helps being a fast reader. Now comes the review, which I'll write before the NFL playoff games come on. Then I'm glued to the TV.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
dmhall78
Currently Reading: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dmhall78.html
Reading Device: B00KHA5G6G

Post by dmhall78 »

I read books word for word. I don't want to miss anything is the story. Usually takes me a few days to read a book.
Zoe303
Favorite Book: And Then There Were None
Currently Reading: Around the World in Eighty Days
Bookshelf Size: 240

Post by Zoe303 »

I read word-by word. I never scan books. Scanning is for things I don't really want to read, but I just have to, and that's definitely not the case with books.
“Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.” –P.J. O’Rourke
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

I tend to read word-by-word, and if I'm really enjoying a book, I tend to read it slowly. I do sometimes scan through sections that I'm not enjoying, and if I'm being a good girl I'll go back and reread those parts in case I've missed something important. I can read fast, but it's just not as enjoyable...
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

I read word-by-word. I don't want to miss any details, even though I tend to be a fast reader. I will go back and read something again if I think I missed anything important.
Bookaholic14
Currently Reading: Life and Death
Bookshelf Size: 373
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookaholic14.html
Latest Review: "Love Built to Last" by Lisa Ricard Claro
Reading Device: B00HNOWHRU

Post by Bookaholic14 »

I read every word. I feel like I'm missing out if I just scan through a book. My reading speed depends on what I'm reading. I find that I tend to read faster if the novel is at a climax and I can't wait to find out what happens next. When I'm reading for work, it's usually legal documents, so I tend to read those slower because things are often very wordy and complicated.
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. – Neil Gaiman
Latest Review: "Love Built to Last" by Lisa Ricard Claro
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SparklingOne »

I'm a word for word reader too, when reading for enjoyment. I tend to scan over most email and other websites, it's more efficient and the latter is usually for general info so I just need an overview. If you were to scan over a story, it would be the same as hitting fast forward while watching a movie, if a book is that big of a stinker why bother I figure.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

There are certain books I scan because it's so exciting and I can't put it down that I just want to know what happens next. Sometimes I'll go back and read it word for word because I felt like I missed something and end up realizing that I didn't. However, I do feel uncomfortable moving forward because I feel like I would miss something important so in general I read word for word.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

I suppose the phrase "scan" can be a bit misleading here. I think the poster intended "browsing" thru a passage casually.

I think I might do this occasionally, for maybe a pop article about some celeb in trouble with the law, but I generally either read something I want to, or not at all. So "scanning" isn't something I do a lot. If someone posts a link to an article on politics or whatever, I will quickly scan or browse the high points and then if it interests me, if it says something I don't already know, I'll read it completely.

I also guess that "word-by-word" implies a thorough reading. I'm a very fast reader with pretty high comprehension, and because I spent years working with high tech engineering documents, as both an editor and consultant, I've learned to read precisely but at the same time quickly. That would be word by word.

For a book or story or article I'm enjoying, however, yes, I do read every word, but fast, and then I'll find myself returning to a particular passage which is especially well written, savoring the words more slowly.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
Cecy_Says
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecy-says.html

Post by Cecy_Says »

I go word-by-word. I have no idea how people read otherwise. Every word put to paper serves a purpose.
readingnation
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingnation.html

Post by readingnation »

I'm faster than average, but I still read word by word and understand the story.
cogarae
Currently Reading: Mary
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cogarae.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cogarae »

I am a word by word reader unless it's a textbook or something along those lines. If I don't read word by word my brain kicks in and is like um that doesn't make sense, go back
Mike_Lang
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 50592">The Life and Times of The Thunderbolt Kid</a>
Currently Reading: Mississippi Noir
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mike-lang.html
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Mike_Lang »

falloutlunartic wrote:I read word for word, BUT sometimes a book will have unnecessary parts/details and I skim those(unless I am reviewing that book) so that I still understand everything. I am a fast reader, especially when I am enjoying a book and don't want to miss anything!
That's me, too. If I'm reading a book with a lot of excruciating detail or one where the plot slows to a crawl I will often skim through those parts.
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
brandy29b
Currently Reading: Tom's River
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy29b.html
Latest Review: "The Daughters' Baggage" by Diane Winger
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by brandy29b »

For me, how I read depends on a number of factors. First, the content is a factor. If the content is academic, I tend to need to go slower and read more carefully for full comprehension. Also, if I find the content dry (academic or not), I tend to have to go slower, or reread parts as my attention may have wandered. Having to go slower, I need to read word-for-word for a full understanding. If the content is not academic (and also well-written and not confusing), and if I feel engaged in the story, I tend to read in chunks as I translate the book in my imagination (what things look like, or even a character's emotional experience). I would not call how I read skimming, but perhaps in between skimming and reading word-for-word. I have been told by others that I am a "fast" reader, but I really think I'm about average.
Latest Review: "The Daughters' Baggage" by Diane Winger
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 8337

Post by Jojowrites4All »

Strictly word by word.
~ A Lack of Preparation on Your Part - Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on My Part~

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”