Do you read books word-by-word or do you scan the book?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Alice Thokchom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thokchom-alice.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Re: Do you read books word-by-word or do you scan the book?

Post by Alice Thokchom »

TheRVMom wrote: 06 Nov 2018, 22:36
Thokchom Alice wrote: 06 Nov 2018, 21:23 Most of the time, I read a book word by word but sometimes, when the story line gets dull or the explanation of a character goes endless, I just scan a paragraph.
I zone out on those too. Like when they just start going on an on like a textbook of historical facts. UGH! I hate when they do that. Also, sometimes the corny love scenes. Blah!
Exactly, those corny loves scenes are an off for me too.
A joke is to entertain people. If it fails to do so, it's something else!
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

I read word-for-word, which is why I don't listen to audiobooks, because even if I think I've missed a sentence, I have to go back and reread the entire paragraph!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I prefer to read the books word-by-word. At times I read rather quickly and have to go back and re-read part of a paragraph- just to make sure that I don't miss a detail.
_Delly_01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delly-01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by _Delly_01 »

I read word-for-word, unless a description is too long. Skim reading during those segments helps me to be a bit of a quicker reader overall, but I'm not a fast reader in any measure.
Edystoner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Edystoner »

I read books word for word from beginning to end. The only time I would ever scan through any is if a topic is repeated repetitively throughout the story. I’ve always loved reading, it is my favorite pastime. I come from a family of readers, both my parents, my older sister & my younger brother are all readers by choice.
April Ruvs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-april-ruvs.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by April Ruvs »

I read word by word sometimes I even repeat sentences to gain understanding when I lose track. Jumping through the book I feel does not give the real feel of a story
"Trust the wisdom of your soul it knows the way" unknown
eastandalchemy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eastandalchemy.html
Latest Review: Sir, I'm Not That Kind of Girl! by Mary Lynn Archibald
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eastandalchemy »

I consider myself a pretty fast reader, but I also read word by word when I'm reading a book for the first time. If I'm re-reading one of my favorites, I might scan through certain parts while slowing down and focusing on others.
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

Well it depends how boring the book is, lol! But jokes aside I naturally scan a lot, have to force myself to read word by word at important scenes.
ivetters
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ivetters »

I fall under the category of being a fast reader, though I do read books word-by-word. If I find the book a bit boring or dull then I would just scan the book until it gains back my interest.
cosmic_juno
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by cosmic_juno »

I scan the page. I’ve done that for a while now, but I think it’s just because I started reading at such a young age (thanks Grandma) and developed a passion for it in middle school. I was the kid who got in trouble for reading the wrong books in class.
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

It generally depends on the content of the novel. I will read fun, adventurous, or quirky bits of a book word-for-word as I want to capture every detail. However, for a lot of descriptive scenes that I feel are unnecessary, I will just skim over to get the basic idea. This helps me to focus on the most important parts of the book.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

I guess it depends on whether or not I am enjoying the book. But I prefer to read a book word for word so that I don't miss out on any important information.
Daniel Muky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-muky.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Daniel Muky »

I read word by word but I still read fast...i don't know why too..I will try to find out now..
Henrytbab
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henrytbab.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Henrytbab »

crazyrussianmaria wrote: 15 Jan 2016, 01:45 I was just wondering how many of you are fast readers because I'm not. I actually read a book word-by-word and this is why it takes me a while to finish reading a book. I have known people who can kind of scan a book and they get exactly what was written and what's happening. I've always been a bit jealous of that. Or some people look at a word and see the words around it too, which is what I mean by scanning as well.

Also, how carefully do you read books? I am super anal about not missing any part which is why it makes it harder for me to listen to audiobooks.
I read word by word and also scan too. It depends on why I'm reading it and the kind of book I am reading.
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
-George Bernard Shaw
Victor Kilyungi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-kilyungi.html
Latest Review: A Fate Unwound Too Soon by anna-karen sorensen

Post by Victor Kilyungi »

A mix of the two. I'll read keenly and then if I think I got the gist of things I'll scan the book for a while before I resume my keen reading.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”