Do you read books word-by-word or do you scan the book?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Re: Do you read books word-by-word or do you scan the book?

Post by Eileen R »

If I don't find the book interesting, I'll probably just scan through that's what I do with my history books. When I'm reading an engaging book, I make sure to read word by word since I don't want to miss anything.
See_B00kReaDs
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-b00kreads.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

I do read it word by word, although it depends on the book.
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan

God bless you! :D
tvess
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by tvess »

Almost everyone seems to be saying 'word for word' here. While I don't skim books for important bits like I would a magazine article, I do tend to outright ignore words or phrases occasionally so long as I understand the point of a sentence. Sometimes sentences if a paragraph is going on about the same thing. If a terrible thing has happened and a character is described with words I don't know well, but tears are mentioned, I'm just going to assume that the point is they are sad and move on. Or when setting is being described, I pick up on a few details but don't try to pay much attention to the finer points. The book I'm reading now spends quite a bit of time describing the city, but it's easy to pick up on the points of "the city is vertical, elegant, divided vertically by class, and the upper class has a lot of variety" without trying to remember specific details about where a bridge is or what a particular house looks like.

This habit made it pretty difficult for me to understand poetry when I was younger because I would get the basic point and not look further, but I've recently learned to change my style when looking at poetry. Specifically chosen words are much more important in poetry.
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

I typically read books word-for-read. Anytime I have tried the scanning technique, I have missed something and had to go back and reread it anyway. :D
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

I read word for word, too, but I’m still pretty fast at reading. I tend to read decently long books in a couple of days.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I am a fast reader. I used to read 1 Mills and Boon Romance Novel per day when I was in my teens. However, if I am reading a book and I find some parts not too concise, I will slow down my reading and read the passage, word for word.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I read word by word but still I'm quite fast. I know some people tend to skip paragraphs or even pages. I can never do that, I just have to read cover to cover. Sometimes, though not often, I skip the foreword, since very long forewords tend to put me off.
By the way, when I look at a word, I can generally take up the neighbouring words as well and get the general idea of a sentence and even a paragraph. If I am not able to do that, it means either my attention is in some way diverted, even if I am not conscious about it; or it might mean that the book is too hard for me.
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

I read book word by word, if I get bored reading and I realized I scanned through, I will go back and intentionally read it again word for word.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

There are segments in which I do a quick scan, but generally, I read word-by-word, especially if I like the author's writing style or if the plot becomes interesting. To give an example, there are moments in the books of the saga of A Song of Ice and Fire that become a little dense, especially when it comes to intrasentential events. But when important things happen, when the characters explain things about the fantastic universe, or when the author exposes the characters in flesh and blood, there is no way I can miss a single word.
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

I read word for word. This allows me to mentally capture the words and form into a visual picture in my head. There is so much that can be missed if you simply scan a book. However, I have found that if a book does not hold my interest, scanning, skipping and jumping over text has occurred. To me the full meaning of what you are reading is lost if you scan or glance over the text. There could be something that is important in relating others things if you miss it by scanning. This is especially true in suspense, thriller or horror books. I want to read every word so that I can connect to the words.
Rumbly
Favorite Book: Warlock of the Magus World Series
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Rumbly »

I skim a lot if I'm reading by looking since long fill descriptions aren't very important to me unless I plan to draw fanart using such descriptions or am writing an essay about the book.

If i'm listening to a voice reader or audiobook then it's word by word, and yeah I'm much slower when listening to audio than just reading with my eyes.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I always read books word-by-word. Even if it takes me a bit longer to finish the book, I don't regret it. I like being able to fully absorb a story and understand as much as I can about it.
Alice Thokchom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thokchom-alice.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Alice Thokchom »

Most of the time, I read a book word by word but sometimes, when the story line gets dull or the explanation of a character goes endless, I just scan a paragraph.
A joke is to entertain people. If it fails to do so, it's something else!
TheRVMom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thervmom.html
Latest Review: Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Post by TheRVMom »

I read every word. I too am jealous of those who can scan or speed-read. I love audiobooks though. I love that I can hear accents, etc.
TheRVMom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thervmom.html
Latest Review: Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Post by TheRVMom »

Thokchom Alice wrote: 06 Nov 2018, 21:23 Most of the time, I read a book word by word but sometimes, when the story line gets dull or the explanation of a character goes endless, I just scan a paragraph.
I zone out on those too. Like when they just start going on an on like a textbook of historical facts. UGH! I hate when they do that. Also, sometimes the corny love scenes. Blah!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”