The Book Unfair...A tale of the bookarama drama, the book fair that went upside down and sideways

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
BB8_Rey
Bookshelf Size: 0

The Book Unfair...A tale of the bookarama drama, the book fair that went upside down and sideways

Post by BB8_Rey »

Hey There, I have a story from my country to share that should be of interest to y'all

Here is something you guys might quite like to read to see how passionate people are about books

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 1437702819 Check out the comments, Kiwi's/New Zealanders are a very animated bunch😉

There was this giant book fair called Bookarama and the organisers sold heaps of books to book shops owners first at a private night (that no one knew about except them.) It caused chaos online. The people that gave their books to the fair were super angry that so many books never got to be seen by the people who went to the 3 day fair. 25% of the stock went the night before and people took their fury to the radio stations and socials. My towns book fair went national and it was quite something to see the factions of people. The supporters of the organisers saying things like "they made money who cares where your books went" the other side of the coin saying things similar to "I donated for families in the community to be able to get affordable books not to provide cheap inventory"....A few things came into question with folks, That why was it hidden.. the secret night? And why did they get to do this first? A lot of people thought they must have paid for the privilege or something but the official response was someone tripped on a bag one year so they thought it was safer for the store owners to go first and they did just pay the same as everyone else, no fees they went for free. Well, I can tell you that statement made things worse on the Facebook groups I belong to. It caused such an uproar the admin of the group of the suburb this happened in has banned the organisers from advertising next year due to this and the lack of an apology to the community

I was just talking to someone about New Zealand films/doco's being really quirky. This Bookarama needs a film for sure.
BB8_Rey
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by BB8_Rey »

I'm having trouble finding the place this all happened at in the very beginning. I remember reading a lot of comments from people. I will check FB and show it to you if it's there alrighty👍

I would love to know about your book fairs that you go to since you guys are from all over the world🌏

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”