What's your favorite quote or quotes? (citations required)

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Cantabrianna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cantabrianna.html
Latest Review: Elastic Girl by Olivia Rana

Re: What's your favorite quote or quotes? (citations required)

Post by Cantabrianna »

I dance with the dancers and drink with the drinkers. I will be your poet, I will be more to you than any of the rest.
By Walt Whitman, from the poem Native moments.
Seth018
Currently Reading: Tai Solarin
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Seth018 »

"God gave us the gift of life, it is up to us to give ourselves the gift of living well."
-- Voltaire
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess

- Henry David Thoreau
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Doug Jones
Currently Reading: Beyond Denial
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doug-jones.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Doug Jones »

It is senseless to try to avenge history, just as it is senseless to mock it. One must understand it. The past is irretrievable. The present is incomplete. The future has already begun.
Dmitri Volkogonov, The Rise and Fall of the Soviet Empire: Political Leaders from Lenin to Gorbachev, xxvii
Nothing is more conductive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all. - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg
Melekwe Anthony
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Melekwe Anthony »

"Knowledge is stronger than memory, we must never trust the weaker" from Dracula by Bram Stoker.
TheRedQueen22
Favorite Book: Fight or Flight
Currently Reading: Breaking Hollywood
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theredqueen22.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by TheRedQueen22 »

These are my current favorites:

"What's for you will not go by you." -Fight or Flight, Samantha Young

"What most people never learned was that sometimes what would make us happy the most also scares us the most. Sometimes being happy meant being brave." -The Fragile Ordinary, Samantha Young
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Charlyt »

It was, he thought, the difference between being dragged into an arena to face a battle to the death and walking into the arena with your head held high.

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by J. k. Rowling
You are not destined nor chosen... You're in the right place at the right time, and you care enough to do what is right. Sometimes that is enough.
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG
Sahar Majid
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahar-majid.html
Latest Review: Iron Crossed by Renata Rose and Phil Rose

Post by Sahar Majid »

Try to imagine a life without timekeeping. You probably can’t. You know the month, the year, the day of the week. There is a clock on your wall or the dashboard of your car. You have a schedule, a calendar, a time for dinner or a movie. Yet all around you, timekeeping is ignored. Birds are not late. A dog does not check its watch. Deer do not fret over passing birthdays. an alone measures time. Man alone chimes the hour. And, because of this, man alone suffers a paralyzing fear that no other creature endures. A fear of time running out.
- Mitch Albom, The Time Keeper
Shalu1707
Favorite Book: The Vampire Diaries
Currently Reading: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shalu1707.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Shalu1707 »

"One could not count the moons that on her roofs, or the thousand splendid suns that hide behind her walls"

I read this first in the book A thousand splendid suns by Khaled Hosseini and later found out that these are lines of a seventeenth century poem 'Kabul' written by Saib-e-eTabrizi and translated into English by Josephine Davis.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

ON CHILDREN AND CHILDHOOD

When I was a boy, my mother wore a mood ring; when she was in a good mood it turned blue… in a bad mood, it left a big red mark on my forehead.
Jeff Shaw

An ugly baby is a very nasty object – and the prettiest is frightful.
Queen Victoria

My grammy never gave gifts. She was too busy getting raped by Cossacks.
Woody Allen

You’re not famous until my mother has heard of you.
Jay Leno

All television is children's television.
Richard P. Adler

You might be a redneck if… your dad walks you to school because you’re in the same grade.
Jeff Foxworthy

Somewhere on this globe, every ten seconds, there is a woman giving birth to a child; she must be found and stopped.
Sam Levenson

I can always tell when the mother-in-law’s coming to stay; the mice throw themselves on the traps.
Les Dawson

I thought when I was 41, I would be married with kids… well, to be honest I thought I would be married with weekend access.
Sean Hughes

My husband and I are either going to buy a dog or have a child; we can’t decide whether to ruin our carpet or ruin our lives.
Rita Rudner

When my old man wanted sex… my mother would show him a picture of me.
Rodney Dangerfield

The thing that impresses me the most about America is the way parents obey their children.
Edward VIII (Duke of Windsor)

You might be a redneck if… you consider your license plate personalized because your dad made it in prison.
Jeff Foxworthy

You kids are disgusting! Standing around here all day, reeking of popcorn and lollipops.
W.C. Fields

My old man… I told him I'm tired of running around in circles… so he nailed my other foot to the floor too.
Rodney Dangerfield

Any man that has never seen a baby emerge from another person’s body will walk around for months just going, ‘Oh my God; what else don’t I know about Planet Earth?’
Darrell Hammond

Grandchildren can be f**king annoying – how many times can you go ‘And the cow goes moo and the pig goes oink’? It’s like talking to a supermodel.
Joan Rivers

With my old man I got no respect: I asked him, "How can I get my kite in the air?" He told me to run off a cliff.
Rodney Dangerfield

Without identical twins, you’ll never get to experience entering a hotel room with one of them and watching him run into the full-length mirror because he though he saw his brother. - Ray Romano
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
msbarclay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msbarclay.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by msbarclay »

Go then, there are other worlds than these.
The Gunslinger by Stephen King.
nomadmadi

Post by nomadmadi »

My favorite quote comes from the movie "Next". I simply can't get over how beautiful it is (pun not intended).
There's an Italian painter, named Carlotti, and he uh, ahem, defined beauty. He said it was the summation of the parts working together in such a way that nothing needed to be added, taken away or altered, and that's you. You're beautiful.
chamomile

Post by chamomile »

I guess it's less about a favourite quote rather a memorable one, so I have two in particular.
Doors are for people with no imagination.
- Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy
There is courtship, and there is hunger. I suppose there are grips from which even angels cannot fly. Even imagined ones.
- In Tennessee I Found a Firefly, Mary Szybist
zjacks
Favorite Book: The Song of Achilles
Currently Reading: The Immigrant's Lament
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zjacks.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by zjacks »

[quote]Motion pictures and weapons of war: science has created them both. So while others point guns, I'll have my camera, offering fantastic dreams of other worlds just beyond our reach.[/quote]
-Fritz Lang (King Bradley) from Fullmetal Alchemist: The Conqueror of Shamballa (movie)
PamyG
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by PamyG »

" To walk into nature is to witness a thousand miracles "

by Mary Davis

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”