Do you carry a list?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Re: Do you carry a list?

Post by JuliaKay »

Sometimes if I read a review of a book or see a recommendation for one I would like to potentially read, I will make a note of it, but I don't typically carry a list. :D
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I carry a list when visiting used-book shops or book fair. Otherwise I often tend to forget the titles I thought I just had to read.. It is often the case with me that I have a mental list of books I have been meaning to read, but whenever the time comes when someone asks if I have to order/buy any book, I go completely blank!
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

No I don't. I've never had a problem remember the books I want to get and the books I already have so there is never a problem and no need for a list.
Henrytbab
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henrytbab.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Henrytbab »

CaitCupcake wrote: 29 Sep 2015, 02:56 Sorry if this has already been posted but i couldnt see anything like it.

Do you carry around a list of books you'd like to buy? For example if you start a new series do you write down the rest of the series so you know what to look for when shopping?

Or maybe you keep a list of what you already own to avoid double ups.

I have a little notebook in my bag full of books that i want to buy, especially helpful when I'm surrounded by books and don't quite remember the title.
I do this too but the list is usually written in my phone.
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
-George Bernard Shaw
Ashley-Osuna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-osuna.html
Latest Review: The Pilgrim Bride by Pilar Cerón Durán

Post by Ashley-Osuna »

I do have a list in my phone. When I see a book that is interesting to me, I write it down. That way, when I want to buy a new book I have many to choose from. However, I do not strictly follow that list, if I go in person to a book store I buy whatever appeals to me the most, without caring if what I end up buying is not on my list.
Lia A
Favorite Book: Aurora Rising
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lia-a.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by Lia A »

I keep a digital list of books that I read. I usually read from the digital library. (Yes, that exists now. It's like checking out an e-book through an app and it returns automatically.) I keep a record because the digital library doesn't keep records well. I also keep it because I have read many books, and I can't always remember it off the top of my head.
Yearly Joy Besoy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yearly-joy-besoy.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Yearly Joy Besoy »

No. I only keep a list of the books that I've finished reading.
Zeejane
Currently Reading: Dawn's Early Light
Bookshelf Size: 843

Post by Zeejane »

I'm another Goodreads (GR) user-that's where I keep my general TBR list and then I also have monthly TBR lists since I'm involved in so many buddy reads (BRs). This month I have 5 going, on top of my 'regular' reading :)
readsbyarun
Favorite Book: Wilderness Cry
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readsbyarun.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by readsbyarun »

Yes I would always carry one in my mobile and keep updating it on a daily basis.
azidy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azidy.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by azidy »

I just use Goodreads and its to-read list because it's much more practical than carrying around a notebook every day.
EmmaZ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmaz.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by EmmaZ »

I have a TBR list in my journal so as not to forget what books I want to read, and I have another list to keep track of the books I've read. For some bizarre reason I always like to know what books I read and when I read them!
JennyorAlice
Currently Reading: Tales of the Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 151

Post by JennyorAlice »

CaitCupcake wrote: 29 Sep 2015, 02:56 Sorry if this has already been posted but i couldnt see anything like it.

Do you carry around a list of books you'd like to buy? For example if you start a new series do you write down the rest of the series so you know what to look for when shopping?

Or maybe you keep a list of what you already own to avoid double ups.

I have a little notebook in my bag full of books that i want to buy, especially helpful when I'm surrounded by books and don't quite remember the title.
I actually do have a list of the books I already own. If I am planning on going to the bookstore, I will take the list with me to avoid purchasing something that I already have (if I can remember to take the list with me). I also have the list on my blog so people can see what books I have and what I am reading.

I actually have 2 lists. One is the e-books I have on my Kindle and the other is the physical books I have on my shelves (regardless if they're hardcover or paperback). On both lists, everything is in alphabetical order by author so it's easier to find things on my list.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I don't think I have ever carried a list. Unless I was looking for a particular book, in which case I would normally remember what I was looking for, I would basically just wander around, looking. Generally, if I see a book I was looking for, or even a cover of a book I was looking for, I would use that to find and grab a book. I also generally can remember what genre the book was, or enough so that I can go to that section of a bookstore and find it. Not that there's anything wrong with having a list. I would more than likely, misplace the list way before I ever got a chance to go to the bookstore and so, other than to help me remember the title or author better, it would probably do me no good. If I had ever been more certain that I wouldn't lose or forget the list, then I probably would have kept one.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
gregs317
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gregs317 »

I buy most of my books online (Amazon). And, I dont normally buy more than 1-2 books at a time. So, I dont have a need for a list.
Lilyflower-x2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilyflower-x2.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Lilyflower-x2 »

No, I don't carry a list. I have a good memory of books that I have read and left a mark on me. If am not sure about a book, I read the back cover.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”