Do you see pictures in your head while reading ?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Buchacha21
Currently Reading: China Virus
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buchacha21.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Re: Do you see pictures in your head while reading ?

Post by Buchacha21 »

It depends on the book, the writing style, and, quite frankly, my frame of mind. But yes, I definitely have ideas of what things look like and I can picture scenes in my mind.
paranormalbooklover
Currently Reading: After We Collided
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by paranormalbooklover »

I might be able to see full pictures but i do get a gist of the scene and people. That is why sometimes i wonder where they find some of these actors that play roles in movies based off books.
kinggabrel
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kinggabrel »

Yes i do! That's why i love fantasy and supernatural so much because it keeps my imagination running.
interrupted_girl
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by interrupted_girl »

Yes, most certainly I do! Like a movie going on and that is why, perhaps, I have become somewhat of a bookworm. Right from the first page, if the movie starts to play, then putting the book down is extremely hard for me.
Also the reason why I always have high expectations for books turned into movies. Somehow, I want it to match up to the movie that played in my head while I was engrossed in the book. Lol .
Thank you for this fun topic?
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I see scenes in my head all the time from a book that I am reading. Even if I haven't seen a movie version of the book, I can still see the scene play out in my head as I am reading it. Maybe that's the artist in me that can constantly see images in my head unfolding as I am planning out a drawing, painting, or some story.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Tomiwa
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Tomiwa »

of course i see pictures in my head when i read thats the only way to get somethinggood out of what u are reading but it depends on how good the writer is.you no even the writer will have to picture things in his head and put the readers in his shoes to be able to write effectively.its actually vice cersa

-- 30 Apr 2017, 02:20 --

as a very good writer once said" imagination is the play ground of the mind"to read effectively u must see things u read in ur head
Ceciltrixiedom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =164903">A Very Secret Affair</a>
Currently Reading: The Language Of Flowers
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by Ceciltrixiedom »

Off course you can visualize scene/s while reading!It only depends on the expertise of the author to employ figurative language in his piece that makes the reading enjoyable. Some can not come up with any visualization maybe because the story is not presented well. You can add pictures according to how you feel while reading it if it is not presented well. This is only my opinion.:)
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

Ceciltrixiedom wrote:Off course you can visualize scene/s while reading!It only depends on the expertise of the author to employ figurative language in his piece that makes the reading enjoyable. Some can not come up with any visualization maybe because the story is not presented well. You can add pictures according to how you feel while reading it if it is not presented well. This is only my opinion.:)

I am asking if you do it. Not if you can do it.
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
queeennnkatie
Currently Reading: Bared to You
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queeennnkatie.html

Post by queeennnkatie »

It's not like a movie for me, but I can generally get a good idea of what the characters look like and the scenery.
"Sometimes you lose a battle. But mischief always wins the war."
- John Green, Looking for Alaska
gregs317
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gregs317 »

Yes, I do like to imagine the scenario in my head, as I'm reading. Whether it's a woman in a long flowing dress, someone on a boat in the river, someone exploring an old bookstore, guests at a royal feast or whatever, I usually get a picture of it in my mind.

I also like to 'hear' characters' voices during conversation segments.
EMoffat
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Post by EMoffat »

I think it depends on how it is written, if the author used vivid descriptions then I can see the scenes playing out in my head. Other times I have to really try and imagine what is going on. Sometimes, if I read a really amazing scene I will close my eyes and replay it over so I can really absorb it
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

Yes, I do. I read once that book readers violently hallucinate while reading.
Victor Rose
Bookshelf Size: 5
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of End of the Last Great Kingdom (The Brimstone Chronicles Book 1)

Post by Victor Rose »

For novels, if I can't imagine the scene in my head, I usually don't finish them.
The same applies to most non-fiction books.
If I can't imagine a pic or scene then it is just boring.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Jolyon Trevelyan wrote:When you are reading a book you really enjoy, Do you ever see pictures in your head while you are reading ?

Almost like a movie or a photo album ?

I don`t. I mean i can have an idea what it looks like. But i can never really see it like watching a picture.

i am not sure this question made sense.
Sometimes, if the author does well with vivid imagery, I can "see" what is happening in my head.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
TheSeelieCourtJester
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theseeliecourtjester.html
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor

Post by TheSeelieCourtJester »

Whenever I read, I see an entire movie in my mind. The scenes are always so warm and colorful, and when the characters speak to one another, it's so real for me. However, when the sensory details are just right, that is when I feel as though I'm being thrust into the author's world. Suddenly, a dark fantasy really seems like a dark fantasy; a dystopian world feels hot-blooded, and you have a sense of urgency within you, since you feel like you might be attacked at any moment.
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”