Do you see pictures in your head while reading ?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Tbrooks
Currently Reading: The discovery of witches
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbrooks.html

Re: Do you see pictures in your head while reading ?

Post by Tbrooks »

The more descriptive and well written the piece is the easier it is for me to form clear pictures of what is happening. I think it varies from person to person to an extent.
CassandraB77
Currently Reading: Coercion (Book #1)
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by CassandraB77 »

actually when I read it all plays out like my very own movie. the mind and imagination is a wonderful thing....
rockandroll
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 772">Bleak House</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48

Post by rockandroll »

Yes I do probably because I'm a very visual person. I think that is why I sometimes dislike a movie after reading the book. I already have an impression of what it is supposed to be.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

To be honest I don't really think I do. I actually have a very vague image of a person when I'm reading about a certain character. There really aren't any clear distinct features I see when I read.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

No, but phantom anglerfish occasionally swim past while I'm doing lunges.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
Carmen
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carmen.html

Post by Carmen »

Yes! Its like movie time, no matter what the book is about. But it gets weird when you read a murder mystery and occasionaly you can characterize the murderer onto someone you know. Try explaining to that person later why you cant sit next to them! And it makes reading much more interesting if you disagree with the looks of a scene or character.
TheRavenwoodReview
Currently Reading: The Nightingale
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theravenwoodreview.html

Post by TheRavenwoodReview »

I absolutely see a "movie" play out in my mind as I read. I have an overactive imagination, though. I'm an artistic person and a writer, too. I narrate my daily activities dramatically or comically inside my head quite regularly. "...in the darkness of morning, she walks sluggishly to the kitchen in search of coffee before scooping kibble out for the two furry monsters she calls Chewy and Cotton..." My husband calls me cray cray and I'm ok with that. ~KK
ChristieSR
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christiesr.html

Post by ChristieSR »

Yes I do. Then I hate when it's made into a movie and it's not like I see it.
dina s
Currently Reading: Taken - A Many Lives Story
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by dina s »

sometimes I try to visulize being in the story.
Heather Fawn
Currently Reading: A House Divided
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heather-fawn.html

Post by Heather Fawn »

I always picture the book in my head as I am reading. I try to visualize what the characters look like as well as the world they are in. As the author describes more it fill in a lot of the spaces that were blank in my mind. One reason I don't like to watch a movie that has been made from a book is because it always shatters that picture I had in my head.
rebelfleur

Post by rebelfleur »

Yes and i love that i can create that in my head. The books are always better than the films that get based on them but sometimes its nice to have a visual of the actor who plays the character :P
Booky_BettyC
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55482">Hex Hall</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booky-bettyc.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel

Post by Booky_BettyC »

I can't picture it like an actual movie. It's more like a foggy dream. I've tried to actually imagine the scenes how they are suppose to be and, with the story line, it always ends up changing. Looking at it as if it's a dream is better for me. Can always change the outcome multiple times
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
HGBtlusty1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hgbtlusty1.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by HGBtlusty1 »

When reading a book -- especially one I can't put down -- I nearly always see pictures in my head. It's almost like my own personal movie where I get to pick the exact details of the cast and scenes :D
KristineNicole
Favorite Author: Emily Bronte
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: The Snow Child By Eowym Ivey
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristinenicole.html
fav_author_id: 2494

Post by KristineNicole »

When I am reading, the scenes from the book play out like a movie in my mind. So yes, I definitely do.
Source Searcher
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Source Searcher »

This is why I love reading...I can create the entire picture in my head if the author is really good. It is like a movie. This is why when a book goes to movie it is just not what was in my head and is just inferior.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”