Do you see pictures in your head while reading ?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
adam_araujo
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adam-araujo.html

Re: Do you see pictures in your head while reading ?

Post by adam_araujo »

It depends. I normally can see the images in my head as I read. It's kind of like a movie, which makes it more enjoyable because it goes to show how much I understand what the author is trying to convey in his storytelling. If I feel like I can't picture the setting or action that is being taken place, then I reread the sentence or paragraph to try to paint that image in my head. If I can't get it at all, then I feel like I would lose interest. For me, I normally have more trouble with fantasy or sci-fi fiction because these genres have elements that we don't see in our contemporary world. But I think the beauty here is that it's up to the reader's interpretation on how to develop the image the author is trying to reveal.
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by e-tasana-williams »

Yes, always, unless I'm having a hard time understanding the author's writing. Adam_araujo put it beautifully!
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
amyghilton
Currently Reading: House of Furies
Bookshelf Size: 758
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amyghilton.html

Post by amyghilton »

EVERY time. Ever since I was a child, reading a book is like watching a movie in my head. My brain creates pictures of each character, what they sound like, and even the settings. Each book is like an adventure, horror, drama, or romance played out in my head. When I go to see a movie based on one of these books, the actors who are chosen to play these characters never live up to what my brain has created. It's extremely cool that I get to experience every book like this. When I am reading a really intense book, I am almost in a trance-like state. I feel sorry for people who don't read. They are totally missing out on an amazing experience.
[Pencilslayer]
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by [Pencilslayer] »

With most really good books I read I know I'm looking at words on a page, but in my head I see like a movie of what I'm reading. I'd love to know the physio-psychological explanation for this. And because *I'M* doing the casting and special effects it's usually better than the movie anyway!
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

I picture an entire movie from the book I'm reading any book. It's a really immersive visualization for me. :D
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I usually see the scenes in my mind. Although, I don't always do so.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Erik
Currently Reading: Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Erik »

Absolutely. I've always had a sort of mental movie that plays along as I read. I'd always thought this was uncommon, as I'd never heard anyone else speak of it. I'm glad I'm not alone in this, as it really is very entertaining.

I often blame this on why I seldom like movies based on books... Hollywood always gets it wrong, in my opinion. The movie-makers either cast someone who looks/speaks/moves nothing like how I imagined that character, or they make design/setting/costuming/music choices that conflict with the ones that my own mind created as I read the book.
greywalker
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ndation</a>
Currently Reading: The Mysticism of Paul the Apostle
Bookshelf Size: 133

Post by greywalker »

Yes, I can see the book play out like a movie but only if it's a fiction book. Non-fiction books don't do that for me, but I generally don't read them solely to be entertained. That's what I read fiction books for, entertainment. I read non-fiction books to learn and to see different perspectives.
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

greywalker wrote:Yes, I can see the book play out like a movie but only if it's a fiction book. Non-fiction books don't do that for me, but I generally don't read them solely to be entertained. That's what I read fiction books for, entertainment. I read non-fiction books to learn and to see different perspectives.
I may be wrong but i think most people do that.
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Yes most of the times. I feel like i am living in the story if well written. Foe example when i read The gatekeeper's saga by Eva Pohler i just could not get it out of my mind
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Cowgirl888
Currently Reading: The 13th Demon
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cowgirl888.html

Post by Cowgirl888 »

I always see pictures in my head while reading. I go into my own world or should I say the books world when I read.
dana012
Currently Reading: Endless Forms Most Beautiful
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dana012.html
Latest Review: "All Access" by Liberty Kontranowski

Post by dana012 »

I do, it's almost like watching a movie for me. The scenes just unfold in my head. Sometimes when I'm really engrossed in reading and the book is really good, even the words themselves seem to disappear. It feels like I've been transported to the book itself.
Latest Review: "All Access" by Liberty Kontranowski
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

KNewton wrote:For me it depends on the authors writing style. If I'm really into the book then it is a bit like a movie for me and I almost forget I'm reading.
Yeah, it's the same way for me. It's normally like a movie going in my head or fuzzy pictures depending on how much information is given.
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

Well, I'm a visual person so I "see" what I read, especially if the writer's descriptions are vivid.
katiestardis
Currently Reading: Just Dreaming
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by katiestardis »

I do. I cast every character with an actor I am familiar with and go with it.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”