Ever get sleepy while reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
CharChar84
Currently Reading: The Submissive
Bookshelf Size: 2

Ever get sleepy while reading?

Post by CharChar84 »

I've been dealing with this for years and I'm not sure why it happens. I've had several people tell me that they think it could be the absolute relaxation that comes along with reading a book. I've had others say that it's because my eyesight isn't the best (have to wear glasses while reading)...so, my question is this: Do you get sleepy/tired while you read? If so, how long into reading a book/magazine does it happen?
dickens 100
Currently Reading: The Italian Wife
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dickens-100.html

Post by dickens 100 »

Yes, very annoying as well. I have fallen asleep sometimes with the book still in my hand!.
Happens about 10 to 15 minutes after starting,usually when I'm reading in bed
CharChar84
Currently Reading: The Submissive

Post by CharChar84 »

dickens 100 wrote:Yes, very annoying as well. I have fallen asleep sometimes with the book still in my hand!.
Happens about 10 to 15 minutes after starting,usually when I'm reading in bed
I'm glad to hear that I am not the only one with this issue. Well, not glad about the circumstances...because, yes I understand the frustration! :roll: Do you find that you fall asleep more often when you are just starting a fresh book or during the duller parts of the book? Does sitting up help your issue with falling asleep?
dickens 100
Currently Reading: The Italian Wife
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dickens-100.html

Post by dickens 100 »

The problem is, I like reading at night. I usually get books that are not dull so that's not the problem. I suppose you are more relaxed at night and less alert. If I read in the morning or afternoon, then fine. The annoying bit is , I don't seem to get past a chapter at night without falling asleep!. Maybe you should go outside and get some fresh air for five minutes, or would that make it worse!
GreenBookworm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenbookworm.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Sean T. Smith

Post by GreenBookworm »

Almost never, but the opposite.
sapphire31
Currently Reading: The Untold Unlocking Of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sapphire31.html

Post by sapphire31 »

It depends on the book I'm reading. If I find it interesting and exciting, then my senses are all on alert modes and it would be quite frustrating not to be able to finish it.
Thatgirl
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thatgirl.html

Post by Thatgirl »

Certainly but probably because I read in bed also.
IyenaC
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iyenac.html

Post by IyenaC »

Sometimes. And the funny thing is, I always get sleepy when I read books from my school.
krood10
Currently Reading: gray wolf throne
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krood10.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by krood10 »

I do all the time. I use reading to relax before I go to sleep, so that may be the reason. Occasionally, a really good book will keep me up all night.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Kaelahhill
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaelahhill.html

Post by Kaelahhill »

Yes i do get sleepy while reading at times. Mostly when im up late at night reading a book. I noticed this happening most when i was reading the harry potter series! Its such an amazing series that i stayed up till four am one day trying to finish the book! So it can happen if you really like the book or it can happen if the book is just really boring.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Unfortunately, this happens to me quite a bit. I think that it has something to do with the fact that I'm genuinely tired when I finally sit down to read and I probably need a nap! When this happens, I get up and start pacing while I read.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Freethinker
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Freethinker »

Sadly, yes. If I'm out and about, like on the train, I tend to be OK. But if I'm on my comfy sofa or bed, I'll struggle to read after about 9pm!! My eyes get soooo heavy! A way I've started to deal with it is to record all the TV I want to watch so I can read earlier in the evening, when I'm less sleepy and then when my eyes get too heavy to read I watch tv.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

It does happen more often then I would like. In fact I am dealing with it right now! :roll: I think that it is mainly because my sleep is somewhat irregular.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

It depends when I start reading. If it's right after work, then yes, I get sleepy (I'm so tired from the day!). If it's in the evening after dinner, I'm pretty energized, so I don't get sleepy. Then, it's a hit or miss when I go to bed. Sometimes, I just want to get one more chapter in that I don't get sleepy. But, sometimes, I am so wiped from the day that I fall asleep almost immediately.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
rosemarieshort
Currently Reading: Vanity Fair
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemarieshort.html

Post by rosemarieshort »

If I am already tired then reading can make me more tired. I think because it's something familiar and comfortable. But if I'm not already tired then no, it doesn't affect me.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”