Reading at Lunch

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Reading at Lunch

Post by literarycat »

My entire department eats lunch together on our floor since we still have to answer the phones. We have a table we pull out to eat and chat. After being here for about a year and half no one talks to me at lunch (there are5 of us including myself). So I read on my kindle app or nook app, is that rude of me? Should I sit quietly and attempt to break into the conversation even if I get glares? :oops:
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
Aaliyahlove
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaliyahlove.html

Post by Aaliyahlove »

It is not rude of you to read at lunch. If no one wants to talk then you have to to entertain yourself. I wonder why they dont talk, I would ask them if I were you, especially since you have been there for a year and it is only five of you. I get along with my coworkers we talk all night about everything under the sun.
literarycat

Post by literarycat »

They talk to each other just not me. I'm the person that site in the corner error cubicle everyone forgets about. No one is around my age they talk of grandkids or kids and if I try to interject with the bf's kids I get glared at.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Doesn't sound like a very comfortable place to work.
But possibly your co-workers think you prefer to read and that is why they don't include you. Why not try leaving the book for a day and see if anything changes - maybe someone will remark that you are without your book & you could use the opportunity to explain that while you like to read sometimes you might just like a bit of a chat. Asking a question or asking for advice is usually a good way to get a conversation going, I'd suggest maybe directing the question to the person closest to you and then once you break the ice with one person it will be easier to take in the whold group.
Or you could do something like maybe bring a few buns or an apple tart to the table and share it out. The majority of people will respond positively to a generous gesture. Good Luck with it.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
literarycat

Post by literarycat »

Fran wrote:Doesn't sound like a very comfortable place to work.
But possibly your co-workers think you prefer to read and that is why they don't include you. Why not try leaving the book for a day and see if anything changes - maybe someone will remark that you are without your book & you could use the opportunity to explain that while you like to read sometimes you might just like a bit of a chat. Asking a question or asking for advice is usually a good way to get a conversation going, I'd suggest maybe directing the question to the person closest to you and then once you break the ice with one person it will be easier to take in the whold group.
Or you could do something like maybe bring a few buns or an apple tart to the table and share it out. The majority of people will respond positively to a generous gesture. Good Luck with it.
I just recently started reading on my phone. I have tried asking questions or interjecting a story but again it's always met with being ignored or a slight comment then moved on. I actually don't feel like a part of the team :(
KitKat_Reader
Favorite Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat-reader.html
Latest Review: "Hat of Keepings" by D.C. Vincent
fav_author_id: 3662

Post by KitKat_Reader »

It really isn't rude at all. I would be sitting with my group of friends in high school getting completely ignored, so I would just pull out my book and start reading. No one noticed that I wasn't in the conversation, so as long as no one is trying to get your attention and you end up ignoring them, I don't see any problem with reading at lunch.
Latest Review: "Hat of Keepings" by D.C. Vincent
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 8337

Post by Jojowrites4All »

literarycat, I apologize for your rude coworkers! I'm not so sociable , so that environment is right up my alley. I would gladly have my face in a book. I hope that doesn't offend you. Anyway, keep reading because someone will use it as an ice breaker one day.
~ A Lack of Preparation on Your Part - Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on My Part~
BloodViolet Fiend
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bloodviolet-fiend.html

Post by BloodViolet Fiend »

its definitely not rude. i do the same thing! its a great thing to do since there very little you can do on a lunch break thats not repetitive or boring. It sounds like your coworkers are rude/dont like you to be honest. If i were you i wouldnt feel bad about reading and not socializing. you said you tried to socialize and they would just glare etc. I would try to talk with them every for a few minutes every break thought
Rizbi
Currently Reading: The Girl in the Spider's Web
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizbi.html
Latest Review: "Patrick's Journey" by Roy T Humphreys
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Rizbi »

I do the same thing. One colleague asked me about it and I said because I consider my lunch as 'my time'. Hence, I do the thing that I like the most - reading.
Latest Review: "Patrick's Journey" by Roy T Humphreys
literarycat

Post by literarycat »

Thanks all I am feeling a little bit better about it. Sometimes I wish I could just eat in the break room, but since we still have to monitor the phones I can't.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

If you ask me, it's your coworkers who are rude, not you! If they don't want to talk to you, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with reading on your lunch break. I'm sorry you have to deal with this--I've been there and I know it's no fun! I also took to reading (or sometimes playing Flappy Bird) as an alternative to being ignored!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
maroki13
Favorite Author: Diana Gabaldon
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maroki13.html
Latest Review: "Whispers from the East" by Amie Ali
fav_author_id: 2373

Post by maroki13 »

No, I don't think reading during your lunch hour is rude at all, especially in the situation you described. If you've tried multiple times to include yourself in the conversation and they still don't include you and/or are rude to you, absolutely use that time to read! And who cares if they think it is rude (which they might, but again...); their behavior towards you is unwelcoming and unfriendly.
Latest Review: "Whispers from the East" by Amie Ali
GreenBookworm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenbookworm.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Sean T. Smith

Post by GreenBookworm »

It is just my opinion, but for me it is rude to read at lunch, if I eat together with someone. But if someone is eating alone, it is fully ok.
dhaller
Currently Reading: The Moral Arc
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhaller.html
Latest Review: "Off to See the Wizard" by Clay Johnson

Post by dhaller »

Eh. Rude means that you violated some kind of social convention, which may or may not exist.

Honestly, I'd go up to them and ask if they think you're being rude. You'll probably be pleasantly surprised by the results.
Latest Review: "Off to See the Wizard" by Clay Johnson
Bluedonutcentral
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluedonutcentral.html

Post by Bluedonutcentral »

not rude at all, if they won't interact with you why should you go out of your way to speak to someone who doesn't want the attention, just spend your lunch the way your comfortable with.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”