Reading at Lunch

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
rosemarieshort
Currently Reading: Vanity Fair
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemarieshort.html

Re: Reading at Lunch

Post by rosemarieshort »

Maybe you can use your reading as a way of getting a conversation started? Look up from your book and make a comment about how much you're enjoying it / how frustrating a certain character is / how disappointing the book is versus what your expectations were and then ask the others whether they're reading anything in their spare time at the moment. Even if no one is you can still try out a few recommendations, perhaps ask for favorite books. You never know - your colleagues might be a book club waiting to happen!! Good luck!!
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

Nope. I'm reading pretty much every lunch hour in a relatively social group of folks in our bullpen. What would be rude is if the conversation is directed at you or if you could/should participate in the conversation and explicitly and intentionally ignore them.
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ »

I don't think that's rude at all. If no one is trying to start a conversation, then there's nothing keeping you from reading. Just go ahead and read if everyone else is doing their own thing.
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
ifeoma obike
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifeoma-obike.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by ifeoma obike »

Reading at lunch is quite rude when you're in the company of others, but in a situation where you are being ignored or treated like 'we don't want you here, pls stay within your limits' then the best place to be is inside a book, in that way you'll equally enjoy your meal. You should use your lunchtime to relax and relieve yourself of stress not stressing yourself out the more.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I don't read when I'm around people because they'll start talking and I'll get distracted. On lunch, if I really feel like reading, I'll go and find a secluded spot to do so. Being on lunch with co-workers and then pulling out a book seems a little rude to me. It means you have absolutely no interest in them or socializing with them. While that may be the case, it should never be made obvious.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

Lunch is your free time, if you enjoy reading read away.
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

It's not rude at all. I read on my lunch too.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

I always bring a book or have my e-reader on me. Its not rude to read with others in the room. Sometimes its the best thing, especially if their topic is not something you can or should get into.
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

I read during lunch all the time, though I typically go home for it so that might have a lot to do with it. But I also read during my 15 minute breaks at work.
Sneha21
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sneha21 »

If you are in a group of strangers and have grabbed your bite then reading is a sure great way to indulge in something you love while you can , like during lunch breaks, and if you are in a group of people whose company you enjoy , you would probably get your eyes on the book at some other spare time as lunch break is a chance to discuss, vent out , get to know, share , gossip ;) etc with your colleagues whom you may not otherwise find the time to during work hours. In all it's one choice. Do what you feel like without bothering anyone or affecting your work and don't think what others would think, it doesn't matter by the end of the day..so enjoy reading whenever and wherever. Both, people who read and don't would be intrigued of what you are reading with such interest :))
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

No, that's not rude at all! It's your lunch and your break so you should do whatever you want! :)
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

literarycat wrote: 25 Jun 2015, 13:58 My entire department eats lunch together on our floor since we still have to answer the phones. We have a table we pull out to eat and chat. After being here for about a year and half no one talks to me at lunch (there are5 of us including myself). So I read on my kindle app or nook app, is that rude of me? Should I sit quietly and attempt to break into the conversation even if I get glares? :oops:
Quite similar to what I face in my workplace. We eat lunch together, and my colleagues are always talking about something or other. I do comment a few times, but I don't really ever feel like I belong to the group. Sometimes the topic seems beyond me and I resort to my books. It probably makes me look rude or even too nerdy, but what can I do? May be this is like a positive feedback loop- they ignore me, I read my books, they leave me alone with my reading, I feel more alienated, I keep reading!
I have read what other people have suggested in this thread. They work sometimes, but not always. Even if you take part in the conversation, people listen to you without any side glances or snide remarks or slights, that does not mean you feel comfortable with them. I prefer to stay within my comfort zone and read.
P.S., my colleagues are book-lovers too, but probably not as obsessed with books as i am. If they talk about books, I am all ears, and often add my own views too. But I still feel like I am being looked down upon.
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

Reading at Lunch was an habit that really used to annoy my mother. I could only get away with it i she was distracted which didn't happen often but that didn't stop me from doing it over and over again.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I am lucky enough to be able to leave my office for a full hour at lunch time. I back my lunch, but there are several nice places nearby to sit, eat, and read. Even though I like my job, I need that time to get away from the desk, clear my mind, and let my brain recharge by reading something fun.
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

I don't think it's rude, but you may be closing yourself off to opportunities and possibilities at conversation.
Reading is entertaining, but people can be too.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”