Is there a BAD time to read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 8337

Re: Is there a BAD time to read?

Post by Jojowrites4All »

I can read must places except near excessive talkers. They want you to look up at every other sentence!! :(
~ A Lack of Preparation on Your Part - Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on My Part~
didabean
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-didabean.html

Post by didabean »

The only times that I find aren't the best for reading are when I'm half asleep or have a huge headache. I've noticed that when I read while I'm falling asleep or my head is pounding, I don't remember anything that happens in the story and I have to read it all over anyway.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

In the shower! You'd most likely ruin your book/e-reader!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

LivreAmour217 wrote:In the shower! You'd most likely ruin your book/e-reader!
HA HA HA! When I was a kid I tried reading in the swimming pool, on one of those innertubes. Suffice it to say, it's harder to get chlorine out of a book than is it to wash it out of your hair!! :o
patrickt
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by patrickt »

For me there is no bad time to read but other people can make a good time to read bad. A couple of weeks ago I was reading as I waited for my lunch in a small restaurant. Suddenly, a woman was sitting int he chair opposite me saying, "Do you mind if I sit?" Well, she already had. I slowly closed my Kindle and sat waiting for inane questions. I could have been rude and told her to leave but my mother would have smacked me.

I am not going to be friends with anyone stupid enough to interrupt my reading with, "Whatcha readin'?"
Sarah Clay
Favorite Author: Charles Dickens
Currently Reading: Lost in the Wilderness
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-clay.html
Latest Review: "The Lob Mob" by Tell Tale
fav_author_id: 2384

Post by Sarah Clay »

It's terrible to read comical books in quiet, public places. While reading Paper Towns by John Green after a standardized test, I almost burst out laughing upon several occasions.
Latest Review: "The Lob Mob" by Tell Tale
ShannonLove
Favorite Author: Andrea Levy
Currently Reading: Electroboy
Bookshelf Size: 49
fav_author_id: 16960

Post by ShannonLove »

I can't read when I'm writing a book. It affects my focus.
svassallod20

Post by svassallod20 »

there is never a bad time to read. I pick up and carry a book with me every where I go. I've been in love with reading for many years now and I am 19.
Shadowstar
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadowstar.html

Post by Shadowstar »

Sadly I have to say yes, with 2 children it creates a fast day. Reading late at night is best for me. :)
Conycardoza
Currently Reading: Dark Lie
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-conycardoza.html

Post by Conycardoza »

I think that reading is one of the greatest things to do and its a great way to spend time. Except I dont think that you can read anywhere and anytime at all. Its also important to have human interaction and social time. Its probably not healthy considering we are basically living vicariously through the characters of the book and its important that we see our own reality. Not only that but imagine how people must feel trying to talk to you while your head is in a book.And reading is also not the greatest thing when its used for procrastination. This is one of my biggest problems because instead of getting work done I read book after book until my work just piles up.
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:
LivreAmour217 wrote:In the shower! You'd most likely ruin your book/e-reader!
HA HA HA! When I was a kid I tried reading in the swimming pool, on one of those innertubes. Suffice it to say, it's harder to get chlorine out of a book than is it to wash it out of your hair!! :o
I can imagine!!!

-- 19 Jul 2015, 15:59 --
Conycardoza wrote:I think that reading is one of the greatest things to do and its a great way to spend time. Except I dont think that you can read anywhere and anytime at all. Its also important to have human interaction and social time. Its probably not healthy considering we are basically living vicariously through the characters of the book and its important that we see our own reality. Not only that but imagine how people must feel trying to talk to you while your head is in a book.And reading is also not the greatest thing when its used for procrastination. This is one of my biggest problems because instead of getting work done I read book after book until my work just piles up.
You make some good points here. I've been known to use books as a means of procrastination, and I once had a friend who would spend our entire time "socializing" by keeping her nose in a book. As much as I love to read, I found this more than a little off-putting!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
dickens 100
Currently Reading: The Italian Wife
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dickens-100.html

Post by dickens 100 »

I find it's better to read late at night or very early morning when it's more quiet, and you can concentrate more.
keyana_taylor
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keyana-taylor.html
Latest Review: "An end to the Thrill" by Varun Kumar
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by keyana_taylor »

I would agree with the post above about reading when you're half asleep. I can only speak for myself, but all I end up doing is wasting my time as I have to reread the same pages over and over to understand lol. Some books I just cant put down though. I've even dropped books on my face ! Ugh lol.
Latest Review: "An end to the Thrill" by Varun Kumar
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

During sex? :confusion-shrug:
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
DATo

Post by DATo »

I find it difficult to read when there are things going on around me. I have always envied people who can zone out the world and concentrate on what they are reading. The place where I work has a library on the third floor. It is a quiet place with few visitors. I go there at lunchtime and read in peace. I also go to a park located very close to where I live and sit on a park bench right by the lake. There are no distractions there other than the occasional duck or goose which waddles by, but gratefully they tend to keep their own counsel and do not attempt to engage me in conversation.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”