Toss it or Donate it

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
AmandaK+
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandak.html

Re: Toss it or Donate it

Post by AmandaK+ »

Donate!! If I loved it I'll share with my sisters and my good friends and then pass it to Goodwill. We also have a couple "free libraries" around my community. These are little boxes of some type that are in public places where you can leave a book and take a new one. Fun! Also some hotels now have book exchange areas and many condos have lending libraries in the common rooms. I've gotten some of my favorite books in those places.
Alylynn317
Currently Reading: Every Last Word
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alylynn317.html

Post by Alylynn317 »

Neither for me! I keep all my books, good or bad. I don't know why but I have an incessant need to keep ALL my books. Goals to create a library in my house :). Donate them though, never toss, not when so many other's could benefit from them!
Chabou87
Currently Reading: L'Assommoir
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chabou87.html
Reading Device: B00XKBY94O

Post by Chabou87 »

I would never ever toss a book away!! I actually had arguments with my parents when i used to live with them. They always wanted me to throw away my books because they were taking too much space...I had to resonate them into at least donating them to other.
Loverockers
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... lations</a>
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loverockers.html
Latest Review: "Contemplations" by Lisa M. Gott

Post by Loverockers »

I try to cling to my favorite ones as long as I can, but when the time comes to replace them with new 'favorites', they have to join the donation pile. And I keep the donation pile for as long as I can. I finally donate them when the cardboard box starts tearing up :lol:
Latest Review: "Contemplations" by Lisa M. Gott
Rhoe_Marrow
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhoe-marrow.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Rhoe_Marrow »

Never throw a book away, Donate it. There are tons of libraries in need of books and who knows, who will benefit from your books
Silfoxd
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silfoxd.html

Post by Silfoxd »

I have a ton a books. What I did was go through them pick out singles(not part of a set) and some I did not enjoy and donate them. But I still have a lot a books mostly from favorite authors. Whole series sometimes I like to go back and reread them or reference something that a later book in the series mentions
lmoses
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmoses.html
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline

Post by lmoses »

I never get rid of books, one because I am a hoarder of books and two because I love to re-read books years later. With that said, I would donate it. Someone out there will enjoy the book and by tossing it, you prevent others from stumbling across it by accident.
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline
LauraBeth0625
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurabeth0625.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by LauraBeth0625 »

I keep my classics and favorites ( sometimes) and sell the rest. Half Price Book is always willing to pay a little for them. There for a couple of years I was going in there and scooping the clearance sections and just buying all of certain authors of what they had. And then after going a couple years without them being read, because life was getting in the way, I decided to downsize and got rid of them. All the ones I for rid of, I made sure I can get at my local library for free, if I decide I want to read it, or I get it on my Nook or Kindle again. I do often struggle with this depending on the author because I bought the book for $2 or less and then on Nook or Kindle I am paying around $7- $10 for that same book.
So I don't donate, I always sell and then keep my classics. Good Post!
jungkookblog
Currently Reading: Unspeakable Acts
Bookshelf Size: 217
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jungkookblog.html

Post by jungkookblog »

I don't like giving away books. It's like giving away part of my soul.
Mike_Lang
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 50592">The Life and Times of The Thunderbolt Kid</a>
Currently Reading: Mississippi Noir
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mike-lang.html
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Mike_Lang »

I generally donate books I don't wish to keep. They go either to the local library or a local senior citizens facility.
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: NOAH by Naazir Aram Musa

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

I would never toss a book! It is so wasteful. If we have a garage sale, I sell my old books for a quarter a piece. If not, I donate them. I just cannot see why someone would want to throw away a book!
missycandy
Currently Reading: Life of Pi
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missycandy.html

Post by missycandy »

I keep the books I love and have read, but if I have some I dont enjoy I donate them. I hate the Idea of just throwing them out
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by barb429 »

If I know that I won't re-read a book, or if I just didn't like it I will usually sell it to Half Priced books. I don't think that I have ever thrown away a book (even old textbooks).
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Purple101
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purple101.html

Post by Purple101 »

I would donate the books that I don't want and keep the books I enjoyed. I would create a small library that will hopefully be of use to my future kids or let others borrow my books.
adria_charles
Currently Reading: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adria-charles.html
Latest Review: "Turka Bella" by Jonathan Feldman

Post by adria_charles »

I could NEVER imagine throwing a book away! EVER! Donate if possible. That book is just waiting to be someone's next favorite read.

Also, I have Nook and a book collection as well as the Kindle app on my phone. I would never dream of replacing my ever growing library of books with e books.
Latest Review: "Turka Bella" by Jonathan Feldman

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”