Toss it or Donate it

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Re: Toss it or Donate it

Post by Gannon »

I can't believe that somebody would toss a book rather then donate it. Why in the world would you toss a book when by donating it, other readers can read and enjoy the book as well. I keep the majority of my books, but if I am going to get rid of one I will always donate it.
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Gannon wrote:I can't believe that somebody would toss a book rather then donate it. Why in the world would you toss a book when by donating it, other readers can read and enjoy the book as well. I keep the majority of my books, but if I am going to get rid of one I will always donate it.
:text-yeahthat:

I also keep the majority of my books and donate those I don't want.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Sakuko
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sakuko »

I mostly just give them away through various forums. I read a lot of english books in Germany, so they wouldn't sell all that well and the library only has a tiny section.
The few left overs no one wants I donate to the library, if they are even taking more books, otherwise I throw them out.
vadakoot
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vadakoot.html

Post by vadakoot »

I never tossed or donated a book.If it gets piled up in future, (not a chance,Iam reading with smartphone)will be donated to a local library.I can't stand the idea of tossing it.
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

I've had to move, so donating books were best for me because I knew that someone else would enjoy the journey I took with the main character(s).
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
easy_dc13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-easy-dc13.html
Latest Review: A Trace of Revenge by Lyle Howard

Post by easy_dc13 »

If I love the book(s), I wouldn't dispose it or give it away. It'll only apply for me if the book was meh in which case, I'll be donating it. Money was spent after all so maybe someone else will benefit from it instead of a trash bag.
greywalker
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ndation</a>
Currently Reading: The Mysticism of Paul the Apostle
Bookshelf Size: 133

Post by greywalker »

I don't read e-books or screen books of any kind. I love real hard copy books. I have shelves full of them, and I don't get rid of them unless I don't like them. And then, I donate them to my local library. They'll either put them in circulation (if they're new and in good condition) or put them in the book sale. Sometimes, I give them to my local used bookstore for credit. I'd never get rid of a book unless it was in poor condition. There is always someone or somewhere that would be grateful to have it. Throwing a good book in the trash is wasteful. If you really don't want to go into the library to donate them, just pull up to the outside book drop and dump them. The library will take care of them from there. Remember that as much as you may be able to afford an e-reader or tech gadget and the e-books to go with it, many other people can't. And some people, like me, happen to prefer hardcopy books.
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I keep as many as I can but I live in a small space so I've moved to my Kindle. I donate my books I can't bring g myself to toss them.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Athena2017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athena2017.html

Post by Athena2017 »

I used to sell my books when I got to many at yard sales, or trade with friends. Now, I donate them. It feels like giving away a friend but I don't have room for them. I hope someone else will get pleasure from reading them.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I never toss a book. Unless it is badly damaged and can't be repaired by a book doctor, than I will dispose of it. Other than that, I donate any books that I no longer want to thrift stores. Honestly, I'm a book hoarder so it's rare if I do give up a book. If I come across one I absolutely dont want in my collectionx it will be donated.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Buchacha21
Currently Reading: China Virus
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buchacha21.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Buchacha21 »

I rarely get rid of books, but when I do, I donate them. Why not give someone else the opportunity to enjoy it too? In Winnipeg, the mall hosts a used book sale to raise funds for the Children's Hospital, so when books are donated, they can resell them and make some money. Although if a book is missing pages or is in absolutely terrible condition, I sometimes use them for art projects instead.
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ »

To be honest, I would keep them all. I enjoy reading actyal books rather than on an ereader, and the ones I've already read I keep around to let others read or for memories. If you really want to get rid of them, definitely donate them. There are people that would really appreciate the small gift and just throwing them away would be a waste.
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
ifeoma obike
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifeoma-obike.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by ifeoma obike »

I keep the ones I cherish, the rest I sell for lower prices in local bookstores, and if i can't sell it then I'll donate it to those that are in need of it. I normally sell my novels, for educational books that I no longer need I happily give it out especially to those that can't afford it.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
gregs317

Post by gregs317 »

I definitely prefer to donate unwanted books to our local library, for their used book sales.

Certain books, of course I want to keep for myself, and possibly lend out to friends/acquaintances.
classicaltwist
Currently Reading: The Algorithm Design Manual
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-classicaltwist.html
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by classicaltwist »

I've never had to make this decision, but there's a good chance I would have to toss/recycle mine. My books are very heavily annotated, as in there is writing all over the page -- between lines, in the margins, etc. They're pretty much unreadable to everyone except me and even I have trouble rereading a lot of my books. I don't think they'd meet the condition requirements for anywhere.
"The man who never alters his opinion is like standing water, and breeds reptiles of the mind." -- William Blake
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”