Tell me about that feeling you get when you finish a book.

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Re: Tell me about that feeling you get when you finish a boo

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

* Stoneryno

I never read "It" before. But I can relate to how you feel. After three years of diving into the Dark Tower universe, and loving it all the way, the ending was the farthest thing from what I'd expected it to be. It's like Stephen King has a vendetta against his heroes. Poor Roland Deschain. Poor everybody else that SK created and hated.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
RMarks2015
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rmarks2015.html

Post by RMarks2015 »

Finishing a good book or series feels like waking up from a vivid dream, like the reality you've been living for hours, days or longer has suddenly ended and you are left with a sense of loss, appreciation and a lasting memory.
cate__
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cate.html

Post by cate__ »

Totally depends on the book. In a book like The Catcher in the Rye, which for me held a very powerful message, i'll just feel totally in awe, and I won't even want to begin a new book for a few days. I'll just kind of ponder the message and reflect on the characters. However with most books, I'm just happy to have added another novel to my list of books I've read and I'm excited to start on a new one!
-kayla
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by -kayla »

Such a good series! The only time I don't get a good feeling after I finish a book is when the book leaves off with a horrible cliff hanger and you have no clue when the next one will be published.
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 8337

Post by Jojowrites4All »

It depends on the book. I've been stunned / shocked / confused / excited/ in love, and even scared to the point of palpitations. I've cried, dropped to my knees in prayer, or even belly laughed. It depends!
~ A Lack of Preparation on Your Part - Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on My Part~
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

Ammonia wrote:Well, it depends on the book, but I mostly get a mixture of several feelings.
I feel content with myself that I have finally got to the finish line, I sigh and take in all the information I've learned up to that point all at once. I feel overwhelmed by everything for several moments and then I start feeling kind of down - the book has ended and my journey with the characters has ended. If it's a series - I feel restless about the chance to pick up the next book. If it's not, I'm just kind of sad that it's over.

Overall, it's a bittersweet kind of a feeling - negative emotions mixed up with positive ones.
I feel the same way. It really depends on the book, but mostly it is a feeling for content and happiness. As I start to near the end, I can't stop reading until I finish it. Sometimes it is a book I struggled to read I feel relieved.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
rhoerner
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhoerner.html

Post by rhoerner »

The best way I have to describe the feeling after reading a great book (or watching a great movie) is this general sense of contentment, peacefulness. I am always wanting more... I have always been one to hate things ending. When I go back to reread some of the book series I love I always get stopped for a bit right before I start that last book. Even though I know what happens it is always so hard to start the end...
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Like hundreds of centipedes are crawling up my leg.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
Slincol1
Currently Reading: Wild Invitation
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slincol1.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Slincol1 »

Well that depends on the book and/or series. I can remember reading the Harry Potter series and when I first started the first 4 books of the series were already out so I devoured them back to back. Then once I breezed through the first 4 I had to wait for the next book to come out and any good HP fan knows the killing anticipation. I pre-ordered my books ad showed up the day it came out to collect my coveted hardback copy. I can remember spending many a time crying in the middle of my bed or throwing the book across the room ( and racing over to make sure it was ok while kicking my self for throwing my precious book) and finally reading the last book. I loved the last HP book and I loved the ending and the glimpse into the future that J.K gave us. Then when I was all finished, even with my happy warm feeling, I wondered "What am I gonna do now?". How will I ever find a series of books that captivated me they way Harry Potter and his friends did? Luckily I can always go back and read anytime I want that amazing nostalgic feeling, but it just isn't the same. So I guess I go through the stages of grief lol Luckily I always seem to find a next book or set of books to occupy my time and go through the process all over again.
Zoe303
Favorite Book: And Then There Were None
Currently Reading: Around the World in Eighty Days
Bookshelf Size: 240

Post by Zoe303 »

It's a mixture of relief (If the ending was satisfactory) and sadness (If the book was great and I didn't want it to finish).
“Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.” –P.J. O’Rourke
LuvBooks
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luvbooks.html
Latest Review: "Miami Iced" by Susan Sussman

Post by LuvBooks »

If I truly love the book I'm reading, you know like I can't stand to put it down?! Then I feel sad :( I feel lost and empty handed. I want more. If it happens to be a book in a series, I usually download the next one right Away. :D
Latest Review: "Miami Iced" by Susan Sussman
BookNerdinWonderland
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by BookNerdinWonderland »

The feeling I get when I finish a book is always a mixture of happy and sad. I'm always sad that the book ends, but happy because I read it. I'm always happy if it was a particularlly good book/series.
KitKat_Reader
Favorite Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat-reader.html
Latest Review: "Hat of Keepings" by D.C. Vincent
fav_author_id: 3662

Post by KitKat_Reader »

For me it all depends on how the book ended and the story leading up to it. There are times where I have cried real tears over what happened in the end and other times I was raging all over the place because I needed to know what happened next. One thing that always happens though is that my view on the world changes a little bit and I mull over what happened for at least a week.
Latest Review: "Hat of Keepings" by D.C. Vincent
Melanysookazian27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melanysookazian27.html

Post by Melanysookazian27 »

When I finish reading a book that I've truely enjoyed reading I go through minor depression for a couple of days. When I read I get to emotionaly attached to the characters. I wait for a few days and move onto another book. My imagination completely takes over.
lehm14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lehm14.html

Post by lehm14 »

I think how I feel at the end of a book mostly depends on the book itself and the ending. I'm generally sad when I reach the end of a book because I didn't want it to ens. But if the ending of the book is depressing I end up feeling like the character itself and be depressed for days or if it is a happy ending then it can bring me up about 20 notches to where I'm probably the happiest person alive.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”