Tell me about that feeling you get when you finish a book.

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Re: Tell me about that feeling you get when you finish a book.

Post by nikkyteewhy »

It depends on the book and why I'm reading it. If its a book I really like no matter how much the pages are, I feel sad because reading a book the second time is never as good as reading it the first time or me. If its a book that I don't reading enjoy, I feel like I finally removed that big annoying mountain.
RabidFox
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by RabidFox »

There are so many stories that I have read that have the most horrible endings, and I can't stand it. There will be a great plot, great characters, everything going well, and then the ending comes. And while not all stories have a bad ending, there are so many that do. Either someone dies, their old life is destroyed, they are separated from their family, or it's just downright vague and inconclusive. That kills it for me. I read hundreds of pages and then am only disappointed. I can like sad endings, but I tend to want the author to write something happy on the final page. But even a happy ending can be bad. It ultimately depends on the book.

I think the greatest endings are happy endings. Those make me feel good. I don't like everything to end on a depressing note. It's far more fulfilling for me to see the characters get their happiness. That gives me a nice, warm feeling inside. I really think the world would be a better place if there were more happy endings in people's real lives, and I feel like happy endings in books encourage people to think more optimistically. It gives you that "I can do it!" feeling. On the other hand, when it's sad, I'm not really crazy about it. There must be sad endings, of course. I just personally prefer stories where everyone gets what they need by the end.

The beginning gets you introduced to the book's language. As you continue, you become more and more familiar with the characters and the setting, and you start to get more comfortable. During the storyline, your feelings goes up and down, and your mind flows with the plot. Once the ending has almost come, you start to get really excited, eager to see how it finally ends. And then there is that rush when you turn the page to the last chapter, and everything is revealed. It's like your heart jumps. And it either rises in satisfaction or falls in disappointment.
MikleoKrein
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by MikleoKrein »

I feel awful because I don't want the story to end.

It's like my life is useless, figuratively speaking, lmao!~
Asisha Joseph
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asisha-joseph.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Asisha Joseph »

The constant is that I take a deep breath and exhale slowly. If it's sad, I sit thinking about the sad parts for a bit. If it's happy, I squeal.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I'm happy if it ended like I wanted to. Relieved that a mystery was solved. And often, I am just disappointed that the book is over.
Sandra K Pearson
Currently Reading: The Pygmy Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandra-k-pearson.html
Latest Review: The Writer's Roadmap by Leigh Shulman

Post by Sandra K Pearson »

Its like leaving another world you can no longer be a part of, it makes me sad.
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

An overwhelming sense of coming from an adventure.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
MandyP
Favorite Book: Blood of Dreams
Currently Reading: Social Creature
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandyp.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by MandyP »

Regardless of the book I have a sense of satisfaction on finishing. But I agree with previous posts, it is definitely a sense of loss if it is a really great book.
This too shall pass ~Edward Fitzgerald :roll: :doh:
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

I take a sigh, go and eat something, walk a little and sleep for a few minutes. It feels like an achievement.
ShannonHBC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannonhbc.html
Latest Review: Red Wave Imperative by Alan Schein

Post by ShannonHBC »

I'm always excited I have finished the book I was reading and can start the next one. Or continue reading some other book.
Ragnar Lothbrok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ragnar-lothbrok.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by Ragnar Lothbrok »

When I finish reading a book that took me so long to read, I feel proud of myself. If it was a book I really liked from the very beginning, I feel sad I finished reading it😅
I mean no disrespect but some books I've read haven't been as interesting as expected; therefore, I feel as if a weight is off my shoulders when I'm finally done reading that book.
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

The best feeling is satisfaction for the story tying up in an unexpected but couldn't-happen-any-other-way manner, a bit of disappointment because the journey with the characters is over, but an assurance that they will live happily-ever-after.
srividyag1
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by srividyag1 »

It depends a lot on the book. Some books make me feel gold with the endings so I revel in that for a while. Some books leave me wanting more. Some books make me miss the author's world. Some books which I find difficult to finish yet soldier on and finished, make me feel proud of myself. It all depends on each individual book
- Srividya Giri
Smile more, it's infectious.
GC50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gc50.html
Latest Review: Perfect Fairways... Hidden Lies by Robert Marier

Post by GC50 »

Finishing a good book is really awkward for me because it makes me feel both happy and sad. When finishing the book, I always have that sensation of satisfation, but I also feel unhappy by leaving those characters and that world behind.
sevillagirl18
Currently Reading: China rich girlfriend
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevillagirl18.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by sevillagirl18 »

If it's a really good book, I feel a sense of emptiness when I finish. For me, I get so involved in the world of really well-written books, so finishing the book means that I can no longer be a part of that world or with those characters in the same way ever again. It makes me sad to know that I'll never be able to experience reading that book for the first time again.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”