Reading on Planes

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Re: Reading on Planes

Post by Dh_ »

I wish I could read on a plane, but unfortunately I get air sick. I'll bring a book with me anyways, but I can never read it on the actual flight.
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
gregs317
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gregs317 »

I definitely like to read on a flight. My nerves get a little bad during takeoff and reading always helps me to relax.
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I usually have a book with me wherever I go, and I think that reading is a great way to pass the time on a long flight.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I couldn't survive long car rides or any flight without something to read.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Buchacha21
Currently Reading: China Virus
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buchacha21.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Buchacha21 »

I always bring my e-reader with me when I travel. As much as I love paper books, they can be bulky and heavy - one of the last things you want when traveling!

In the airport, I try and walk around as much as possible because I know I am going to be sitting for the next 3-12 hours (depending on where I'm flying). If I have a long layover though, I will definitely find a restaurant, order a glass of wine, and read. On the plane, I often start my journey by reading, especially if I am in the middle of a good book. It can be very difficult to read as there are many noises and distractions around, so I always bring my mp3 player with soft instrumental music so I can tune out what is going on around me but still focus on reading. Eventually I will switch to watching a movie or sleeping if the flight is incredibly long and/or overnight, but as soon as they announce that "we are starting our descent", I go back to reading because there are too many interruptions over the entertainment system.

On one of my flights home, my e-reader got destroyed by the security scanner and it made me realize how deeply I rely on it during flights! That was probably one of the worst flights of my life.
Ajgird
Currently Reading: Eclipse
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by Ajgird »

I do like to read on planes because I think it is a good way to pass the time. Where I do like to read on plane, I only sometimes do. Sometimes I prefer to not read because of the close proximity of others. When I do read on planes I prefer to read on an E-reader because it is just easier for me.
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SparklingOne »

Yes, I always have my kindle with me wherever I go. It is something that diverts my attention away from my surroundings as I don't care to fly.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I read on planes because it makes time go by faster. You get lost in a really good book and then the next thing you know, you'll have reached your destination.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Pm7lucas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pm7lucas.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Pm7lucas »

Yes, I absolutely read on planes! I have trouble sleeping on a plane, so I do my favorite thing in the world - read! I tend to use my e-reader when I'm traveling, because I can have as many books as I want with it!

Paula :D
"I think therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
MsDree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msdree.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by MsDree »

I tried reading on plane before but its so noisy so I couldn't concentrate. I did read 1 book successfully but then be disturbed as its meal time. I prefer reading book when on plane than using e-reader cause I want to save my battery life. ?
"A book, too, can be a star, a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe." — Madeline L'Engle
gregs317
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gregs317 »

I always take a book with me when flying. I get really nervous during takeoff, so having a book in my hands will distract me for a while (a book + chewing gum).
Sophie11
Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophie11.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Sophie11 »

As if there is anything else to do on a plane. But i must say I can't read when traveling on a car or bus. Does anyone else face the same problem? I get car sick. :?: :|
Helga_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Helga_ »

I have read on planes. Paper books no doubt. I just prefer to do it the ol-fashioned way.

I wish I could just fall asleep right after taking my seat, but I'm not one of those who can sleep like a baby til the meals come. When I flew to NYC with no layover (for about 12 hours straight), I was all prepared with my Nella Larsen collection. But I was too hyped up about traveling overseas for the first time. All the words got boring at some point while I was busy looking around, checking out the in-flight movies and music playlists, having fun with using the restroom, etc. Just wide-eyed about everything but the book. It did help kill some time, tho.
When I traveled to Italy, I had my own copy of Eat, Love, Pray by Elizabeth Gilbert. (You see I did my little planning ^^) I coulda gotten into it more since I was on my way to the very places the book describes. But nah...as a woman who's never been married, I found it hard to relate to the protagonist. This time again, it was still better than binge-watching movies.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I have read on planes before, but sometimes find it difficult to do so. That may simply be because I often feel uneasy while flying and prefer listening to music instead to calm myself down.
Facennagoss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-facennagoss.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Facennagoss »

I always read on the plane because as soon as we take off, my husband is asleep! I use my ereader when travelling because it’s light and means I never run out of books.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”