Reading with family

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
ramsayobbie
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 7

Re: Reading with family

Post by ramsayobbie »

That's great indeed. The challenge gives motivation in reading. It takes passion and faith that you can accomplish the goal.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

Very sweet picture. I love to read books with my husband all of the time!
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

Aw love the pic! My family doesn't really read, but it looks like a great way to spend time together!
Italiansweety1982
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-italiansweety1982.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Italiansweety1982 »

No one in my family inspired me to read, a reading contest in 5th grade really got me going. However, me and my son do reading time every night. He is 5
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

I don't remember ever reading with family. They're not as passionate about it as I am. Which sounds sad, I know.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Bhaskins »

One of my coworkers calls this "parallel play" where you share space but don't have to be totally engaged with each other. I love that. I read with my family often and did growing up. I lost my grandfather in April and I used to do this with him. I miss him a ton. I also think about those readers in our lives that influenced us just by being readers. This is the BEST way to get kids to read, lead by example.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling
eastandalchemy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eastandalchemy.html
Latest Review: Sir, I'm Not That Kind of Girl! by Mary Lynn Archibald
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eastandalchemy »

Bhaskins wrote: 11 Jul 2019, 11:25 One of my coworkers calls this "parallel play" where you share space but don't have to be totally engaged with each other. I love that. I read with my family often and did growing up. I lost my grandfather in April and I used to do this with him. I miss him a ton. I also think about those readers in our lives that influenced us just by being readers. This is the BEST way to get kids to read, lead by example.
I like the description of parallel play, it's like a way to feel close with someone without having to directly engage with them. Similar to your grandpa, my dad's a big reader. When I went home to see him recently it was so nice just to be able to sit, read, and share space with him. I don't get to see him that often and it felt great to reconnect by doing something we both love.
cdhundley
Currently Reading: The Book of Man
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cdhundley.html
Latest Review: Sundown by Carl H. Mitchell

Post by cdhundley »

gracenagy1 wrote: 10 Jun 2015, 12:07 As I grew up my parents would take turns reading me and my siblings different books. We would all sit around while my dad read the Narnia series or while my mom read The Scarlet Pimpernel. These memories are some of my favorites because of the time spent together enjoying a laugh or being shocked at the most recent and unforeseen character development. Many of the books my parents read to me have become some of my all time favorites and I wouldn't trade those memories for anything!
That was definitely the way I grew up, with my parents taking turns reading The Chronicles of Narnia to me.
"Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." Marcus Aurelius
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

My family's different hobbies and taste and so we don't read together though they still give me ample time to do my thing.
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

I read on my own, that way we avoid any awkwardness.
JennyorAlice
Currently Reading: Tales of the Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 151

Post by JennyorAlice »

I didn't have any specific person or book that inspired me to read. I've always enjoyed reading my whole life. Even before I was able to read on my own, I liked it when someone would read a book to me.
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

My grandmother inspired me to read from a very young age. I always saw her reading and now that I am older, I can finally read some of her books that inspired me to read.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
Wanja Hannah
Currently Reading: From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanja-hannah.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Wanja Hannah »

My sister inspired me to be an avid reader. She reads anything and I can say she spend most of her leisure time reading.
Wanja Kenya
Aditi Sapate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi-sapate.html
Latest Review: Miracles Love a Believer by Stacy Manning Casaluci

Post by Aditi Sapate »

Yes! My grandpa! He used to get bored so dad bought him some books and he started reading. Then he started having headaches due to reading too much but he still used to keep reading. That inspired me to pick up a book myself and the rest is history. :)
Henrytbab
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henrytbab.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Henrytbab »

Levi wrote: 08 Jun 2015, 13:46 image.jpg

I moved back home two years ago and have spent most of my weekends with my grandparents. I spent the first year mainly with Grandma on weekends watching Golden Girls or some other show until she died last year. This year I spent many priceless hours reading with my grandpa, yep, just sitting there reading. It was awesome. He just died on the 20th of last month (it's ok he was old and ready to go and I'm happy for him) is there someone in your family who inspired you to read?
Not really. Though my mum would come close. I was inspired by simply reading and finding them appealing.
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
-George Bernard Shaw

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”