How long does it take you to finish a 500 page book?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
mountaingirl8
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mountaingirl8.html
fav_author_id: 2460

How long does it take you to finish a 500 page book?

Post by mountaingirl8 »

How long does it take you to finish an 800 page book?

Or a 1000 page book?

Books that are 300-500 pages usually take me a week. Less than that if it is a page turner.
If a book is really good, an 800-1000 page book will take me about 10 days. If it is not that interesting, it will take me two to three weeks :angelic-green:
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

It usually takes me about a week to finish a 500 page book, depending on how good it is. If it's bigger then that, then it could take me a couple of weeks. Lately it has been taking me a little longer to get through books though because I have been dealing with college classes as well.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SparklingOne »

Depends... I have a super busy job, so if the story is great maybe days or a week. If the story is slow it could take me a month, or more than that if I am reading several books at once.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
KitCat9
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitcat9.html

Post by KitCat9 »

It depends on how interested in I am in the book and how action packed it is. But on average it takes me about two to three days depending on how busy I am.
mui-scrimp
Favorite Book: This question is impossible
Currently Reading: The Red Queen
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mui-scrimp.html

Post by mui-scrimp »

About a week for a 500 page book, depending on the complexity of the language. For instance, Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson vs Crime and Punishment. And like everyone else has said, it also depends on the week and how busy I am.
There are weapons you cannot hold in your hands. You can only hold them in your mind.
-Brian Herbert
Christinar81
Favorite Author: Too hard to pick one
Currently Reading: Barracuda
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinar81.html
Latest Review: "Revelations From the Past" by Lori J Gordon

Post by Christinar81 »

It depends on how interesting the book is. If it's a real page turner I can finish it in a couple days. A book less interesting would take about a week or so to read. It also depends on how busy my week is, but since I don't watch much TV, I have a few hours each evening to read.
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”
― Mae West
Latest Review: "Revelations From the Past" by Lori J Gordon
DaniMnv
Currently Reading: Prince Lestat
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danimnv.html
Latest Review: "Afterworld" by Michael James Ploof

Post by DaniMnv »

If it's a book in a series or something I've been waiting for. Which usually means I'm drooling until I have it in my hands, I could complete 500 pages in 24-48 hours. This also depends on whether or not I'm working when I begin the book. The longest it's taken me to read 500 pages is 48 hours. If the book is hard to get through, then perhaps a few days.
Latest Review: "Afterworld" by Michael James Ploof
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

On average it takes me about a week or less depending on the language, how busy I am or how good the book is.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bluemel4
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

gali wrote:On average it takes me about a week or less depending on the language, how busy I am or how good the book is.
I could not have said it better myself. It takes me exactly the same time assuming the same factors.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
shubygurl84

Post by shubygurl84 »

If I'm really into the book I'm reading and it's 500 pages then I can finish it in a week or less.
Snickerdoodle9
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snickerdoodle9.html
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by Snickerdoodle9 »

A 500 page book usually takes me 5 days. If it is a page-turner it will take me a day or two. If it is 800-1000 pages then it will take me a week. If it is a page-turner then 4-5 days. I think it just depends on how fast-paced the book is. Also it depends on how interested I am in the book and the action.
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

That depends on two things: 1) How much is going on in my life, and 2) My level of interest in the book. If I'm not very busy and the book is really good, I can read it in about two days.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

If the book is a perfect match for me, then I could probably read it in... four days? If the book and me are not bonding, then I'll bail before the end, making the question non-applicable, I guess. It's rare, but I've read a few books that I really enjoyed, but that were really slow-paced! One that comes to mind is The Talents by Inara Scott. Another was Ghost by Danielle Steel. In those instances and similar ones, it can take me a whole month to read the freakin' book! :-o
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Depends on how much I am into the book. I just read The Mime Order by Samantha Shannon (501 pages I believe) and I read it in 2 1/2 days. The page numbers don't really affect how long it takes me to read a book. I can be reading a 200 page book and it can take me a week to read. For me it's all about what I have going on and how much I am interested in the story. If I am not that interested and it's kinda boring, I will have a hard time focusing on it.
Bookishbean

Post by Bookishbean »

Just as others have said, it depends on how much I like the book. I read the final book in the Harry Potter series in less than 2 days, so I am capable of reading a long book very quickly, but it's rare that I drop everything to read a book like I did for that one. As long as I am enjoying the book, I could probably finish it in 3-5 days, regardless of length. Books I don't enjoy can take months unless they are short (200-300 pages or less) or I force myself to power through.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”