How long does it take you to finish a 500 page book?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
alphafemale1987
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: How long does it take you to finish a 500 page book?

Post by alphafemale1987 »

If it is something that I am interested in , a 500 page book will take me a day and a half. If it is a book with a slow start then it will take me four.
jpwinters
Currently Reading: The Three Musketeers

Post by jpwinters »

I think the fastest I ever read a book around that size was The Firm which I read in just over a week. I'm not all that fast of a reader, but I did really get into that book. It came highly recommended to me by my sister. She's in law school. Haha
adria_charles
Currently Reading: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adria-charles.html
Latest Review: "Turka Bella" by Jonathan Feldman

Post by adria_charles »

barb429 wrote:It depends on several things for me. If it is an interesting book, or uncomplicated it will take me a few days. I read the last Harry Potter book in less than a day when it came out. Some books, such as George R.R. Martin's, take me longer because there is so much going on, and so many characters. Plus, there are some subjects that I can read about for hours, while others I have to take a break from.

I am the exact same way! I too read the last Harry Potter book in about the same time. With other other books it all depends on content and how absorbed I become in the story. Lots of characters and plots can cause my head to ache after a while, so breaks become important, but if I really enjoy the book I will still be able to finish it in a day or so. Chores and life will go undone if I find a 500 page book I can't put down. Then it turns into a game of how fast I can actually finish it. :D
Latest Review: "Turka Bella" by Jonathan Feldman
Cindy_Cerberus

Post by Cindy_Cerberus »

With work it might take me a day or two.
cloud_way
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by cloud_way »

If the book is a page turner, I can knock out a 500-page book in a short weekend. It all depends on my time commitment and my excitement to finish the book. Sometimes I stumble upon one or two and I have to put it away for a while and that's how a 500-page book can take me a week or more to finish.
Bobbylou Chandler

Post by Bobbylou Chandler »

Probably less than 2 days if it's interesting or 3-4 days if I'm forced to. Way longer than that if it's not interesting to me
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by lily_kh87 »

For a 500 page book I would usually need 10 days. If the book is boring I would need more.
Lilapo9
Favorite Author: Diane Duane
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 29675">The Ministry of Cantors</a>
Currently Reading: Handbook for Cantors
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilapo9.html
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
Reading Device: B00EM3WGYY
fav_author_id: 4363

Post by Lilapo9 »

Depending on my work schedule a 500 page book can take up to 2 months for me to read. In the last two years I find it difficult to find the time to just sit down and read. I have to admit that I miss reading like that.
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
eolafsen
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eolafsen.html

Post by eolafsen »

Normally about a week to week and a half for me.
horsefacekillah

Post by horsefacekillah »

At my current pace it takes me around 2-3 weeks :(
Always Watney
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-always-watney.html

Post by Always Watney »

It would probably take me one to two days to read 500 pages. I usually read in my free time so I'm able to devour books in that time period.
C-Schleiff
Currently Reading: Orchids and Stone
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-schleiff.html

Post by C-Schleiff »

It can take me two days to two weeks. It really depends on if the book grabs my interest. Majority of the time, it's two days and my husband thinks I'm a freak. It's easy for me to get through a book so quickly, because I'm a stay at home mom and I won't really suffer if I stay up late to read. I've been reading Orchids and Stone for about a week now, though, simply because it doesn't pull me in the way most books do.
P_hernandez
Currently Reading: Miss Peregrines Home For Peculiar Children
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-hernandez.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Way" by D.F.Jones

Post by P_hernandez »

I hit a wall with books I hate because, well, I hate them lol. But I power through them faster than books I love because I want to get them over with as soon as possible lol. A 500pg book usually takes me about 1-2 days.
Latest Review: "Anna's Way" by D.F.Jones
ZephyraJ
Currently Reading: Deliver us From Evil
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zephyraj.html
Latest Review: "Bodybuilding for weightloss" by James Eaton

Post by ZephyraJ »

For me a 3-400 page book takes two days. These are work days so reading has to be in the evenings. Might take me three for 500 pages, but then again it might not. Of course if the book is poorly written it will take longer, and if it is uninteresting it will take even longer. I read Sword of Shanara when I was about 13 and it took me a year to complete because I hated the way it was written.
Latest Review: "Bodybuilding for weightloss" by James Eaton
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

The last book I read was 250 pages and took me about two days. So I would say an 800 might take me about a week. It might take a little longer if it was not interesting. I read the entire Harry Potter series in about two weeks because I liked it so much, so it really depends on my interest in the book.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”