Have You Ever Predicted a Book's Ending?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2516

Re: Have You Ever Predicted a Book's Ending?

Post by moderntimes »

Ha. I made the mistake of reading "Da Vinci Code" all the way through, despite his tirade against the Roman Catholic Church and the very placid and harmless Opus Dei organization. The book was as bad as I feared halfway through. And of course I've never read another book of his since.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
Spud
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Spud »

I do question my sanity when I try to remember why I ever read more than one of his books ....
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

I read a lot of mysteries. I always try to predict the ending. I feel satisfied when I guess an ending that I really wasn't sure about. I really do not like when I the ending is too obvious. I feel cheated in a way.
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
Ama Idim
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Ama Idim »

I have and still do. Sometimes, I get it right, other times, it's wrong or close. I usually feel satisfied knowing that the author and I are viewing from a common perspective.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
ebethina
Currently Reading: Homeport
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebethina.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly

Post by ebethina »

That's a real tricky question. With most romance books you know what is going to happen in the end so I try to stay away from those because most of the time they are unrealistic. However there are some books that you know what is going to happen but they do a good job of a lot of twists to make you keep reading and then you get mad because you are wondering why it's taking so long. Than at the end it's like a phew feeling. So I guess it just depends on the story.
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

I usually feel a little thrill when I can say, "I knew it!" when my predictions come through. That said, it's always more exciting when a book blows you away with something you never saw coming. I guess that's why I loved Mockingjay so much because it didn't go the typical "the bad guys were defeated and they all lived happily ever after" route.

And like others have said, in mysteries it's especially disappointing when you can see the reveal from a mile away. Often you just have to ask yourself, "What is the last person you would suspect?" and that's usually your villain. That's why I think Scream is such an interesting film because basically the plot twist there is that the most obvious suspect is the true killer. Really tells a lot about modern storytelling.
Ubheeram Nina
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 77

Post by Ubheeram Nina »

I have once but i was wronged. That was the twist in the story. To make you think why that person committed the murder?
Facennagoss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-facennagoss.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Facennagoss »

I predict the end of everything and nearly always get it right! That’s why I loved Girl on the Train so much - I had no idea!
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

I read a lot so I have predicted endings to books many times & most of the times I’m okay with it. It usually just makes since like the story was leading up to that ending. Sometimes though you can tell the author is going to go completely left field when reading & you know it’s going to end a certain way but it sometimes makes no sense & doesn’t fit.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

Yes, especially in mysteries. I love to guess who did it and their motive. Still love the book
_Delly_01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delly-01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by _Delly_01 »

Yes. Hurt tried to hide what the awful thing was the protagonist experienced from the first page, and who did it to them. I guessed the 'what' a third of the way in, and the 'who' at exactly 67% on my Kindle. I also guessed what the 'plot twist' would be at the very end when it all came to light. Tabitha Suzuma is a very melancholy writer, and once you've read Forbidden, her books are easy to predict because she carries the same tone throughout all of her novels. But the writing is beautiful, and the character development is written with incredible empathy. I admire her as a writer.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

I often predict the end of the books. Once I predicted the content of the next book in the series.
When I read “The Legacy” by Robert Salvatore, I immediately told my father (who had read this book before me) that Catti-brie would go looking for Drizzt in the Underdark. In the next book, she really went to the Underdark to look for Drizzt.
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott

Post by Aniza Butt »

They are usually different from my guess😀.
"Fine...Make your villain."
`Darkling`
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott
finebunchofnothing
Currently Reading: The Bookshop
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-finebunchofnothing.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by finebunchofnothing »

Dan Brown has a gift of writing ~500 pages of gold and 20 (last) pages of rubbish, that's why I could guess how most of his books would end. I can also make pretty good predictions about how romantic books will end, but I guess that's something many people can do. You know, like saying "these two will end up together" or "she'll certainly dump this guy for that guy" from the first moment that you meet the characters.
jgrimshaw
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgrimshaw.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by jgrimshaw »

Well, as I’ve learned, every idea has been done at least once. It’s pretty easy to predict most books and movies; it can be a bit frustrating reading the characters run around in circles when you know the answers, but as long there are original themes and thought out characters, I don’t think it takes much away. Now, if the plot is completely different from how I expected it, with an amazingly done plot twist, it’s a pleasing surprise.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”