Do You Trust Amazon Reviews?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Do You Trust Amazon Reviews?

Yes
48%
No
52%

Total votes: 79

DarkestbeforeDawn
Currently Reading: The Idiot
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darkestbeforedawn.html
Latest Review: "Padanaram Village" by Jack Burbank

Re: Do You Trust Amazon Reviews?

Post by DarkestbeforeDawn »

I used to trust Amazon reviews, but after taking several bad suggestions, I have lost all faith in them. It's not Amazon's fault. But it is there error in the sample. I feel that for the most part, people don't leave reviews unless they really like it, or they hate it so much that they simple feel it is their duty to spread the news. I think the majority of people who leave reviews are of the former category.
Latest Review: "Padanaram Village" by Jack Burbank
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

A question: Has Amazon changed their rules on posting reviews? Do they now require the review to come from someone who's actually bought the book?

Anyone know for sure about this?

Added: Nope. I just posted a favorable review on Amazon for Robert Crais' new novel The Promise and I didn't purchase the book via Amazon. It's first rate and I didn't want to mess up the author's review with a bogus bad review, so I gave it top ranking, which it deserves. But I bought the book in the store and so there's no Amazon link to my buying it at Amazon.

So apparently, anyone can post a review. Sigh.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
khudecek
Favorite Author: Depends on Genre
Favorite Book: The Angel and the Outlaw
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khudecek.html
Latest Review: "See Bride Run!" by Charlotte Hughes

Post by khudecek »

moderntimes wrote:A question: Has Amazon changed their rules on posting reviews? Do they now require the review to come from someone who's actually bought the book?

Anyone know for sure about this?

Added: Nope. I just posted a favorable review on Amazon for Robert Crais' new novel The Promise and I didn't purchase the book via Amazon. It's first rate and I didn't want to mess up the author's review with a bogus bad review, so I gave it top ranking, which it deserves. But I bought the book in the store and so there's no Amazon link to my buying it at Amazon.

So apparently, anyone can post a review. Sigh.
I don't have a problem with this.

I get ARCs from authors all the time. I didn't buy the book. It was given to me in exchange for an honest review. Does it make my review any less credible because I'm not a "verified" purchaser?

I've read some very good books that I didn't buy and I would hate to think I'm shorting the author by not leaving a review. On the other hand, I've read some books that weren't so hot. I rated and reviewed them accordingly.

I'd like to think my opinion matters and I'm not wasting my time.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

~~
"The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost
Latest Review: "See Bride Run!" by Charlotte Hughes
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

moderntimes wrote:A question: Has Amazon changed their rules on posting reviews? Do they now require the review to come from someone who's actually bought the book?
No.

Even worse... I emailed the CEO of Amazon. He did not message me back directly but had Antonio Cruz of "Amazon's Executive Customer Relations" email me back. Mr. Cruz confirmed to me that not only does someone not need to have bought the book, but they can openly state in the review that they did not even read the book and the review is of a personal nature. [This has been reversed. See update.]

In other words, it seems you can just go to a competing book and post a review without buying or reading the book saying, "I don't like this guy," and give the book 1 star and Amazon will let you do that.

Most of us wouldn't do that because we, unlike Amazon reviews, are honest. Unfortunately, it seems like Amazon's rules are setup in a way that that would make the most sense, however. And all it takes is a few bad apples.

Over 2 million books are published each year. The market is very competitive. A site like Amazon needs to come up with a way to have reliable customer reviews on its site because there is so much incentive in that competitive market for both false positive reviews (given to oneself and friends) and false negative reviews (given to competition or over personal matters).

Some parts of doing that are hard since dishonest people presumably try to deceptively hide their dishonesty. However, parts of it are easy: Why wouldn't Amazon restrict reviews to only people who have purchased book (or product)? It's almost like they want fake reviews, but in reality it's probably just that the company has gotten big and arrogant and is now being very sloppy in handling issues like this. It's such an easy step to make it harder for liars to post fake reviews, but Amazon doesn't take it. Worse yet, they even allow reviews from people who admit to not even reading the book in addition to not buying it.

After I had read their "Customer Review Creation Guidelines", I had thought reviews from someone who neither bought nor read the book would not be allowed. These state in part:
We are unable to accept the following feedback:

Reviews that are not about the product
  • Seller & Shipping Experience – Feedback about the seller, your shipment experience, or packaging is not a product review and should be shared at [link] or [link].

Product Availability & Feedback – Comments about product availability or alternate ordering options are not about the product and should be shared by contacting us.
That's why I emailed the CEO. I was wondering why they were not living up to those terms. But I guess I misunderstood what was meant by those terms. :(

I'll keep trying to pry for more comments from Amazon about this matter and update you all if I get different or new information.

Update Jan 20, 2016 ~ I think before they just weren't really reading my messages before answering and weren't looking at the examples I offered. Upon further discussion with Amazon on the matter, it seems they do require the reviews be about the product being reviewed and that--it seems to me--in the case of books the person has to at least pretend to have read it to review it.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Thanks, Scott, for checking into the situation.

We authors would all like to have terrific reviews posted in all venues. It's just a fact of life that Amazon is the most significant avenue to sales and popularity, despite this forum being a terrific one, and one which I totally agree, should require that reviewers read the book.

As you may know, I've asked those here who've read my 2 novels to post a review on Amazon, although I've specifically not asked for any favorable comments, just a fair review.

Incidentally, we know that Alynn writes books, but there are other authors here. Why does your sigline specifically mention her all the time? Just curious?
charysma_lilly
Favorite Author: too many....
Currently Reading: Before I Fall
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charysma-lilly.html

Post by charysma_lilly »

I have posted some reviews on Amazon, after I read the books. In two ocasions I was offered the books in advance in exchange for a review. Taking into account that I did so honestly, i assume some other reviewers did the same.

I believe there may be fake reviews (and reviewers) out there but there are as well others who do it honestly. And i have no issue rating a book 5 stars if i loved every page of it. Until now, i did not rate a book lower than 3 stars (except for a review that i posted here for a book i've red independently and got me really upset). I don't like disappointing the author that gave me the book, but as well will not lie.

So my question to the authors: would you prefer a lower rating review to be posted on Amazon for example, or would you rather receive the negative impressions by e-mail and maybe even discuss them if needed? I know this would not be fair to other readers, but it's just a question. This has been bugging me ever since I started book reviewing...
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

First of all, receiving the book in expectation of a review is standard for reviewers. Very few are actually paid real money. I've been reviewer for a mystery site and I receive the books as "pay" but I've never been asked (nor would I ever do so) provide a fake good review on spec.

If possible, I'd of course like a prelim email on the negative review but that tends to go into an area that bespeaks the author influencing the review, which isn't ethical. Now if the reviewer had a specific question about a plot twist which seemed faulty, and maybe had missed a revelation in chapter 23, and I could point this out? Yeah, maybe that would be okay. But a discussion into the general themes of the book would step over the line and I want impartial reviews always.

I've thus far received excellent Amazon reviews, all but one of them 5 star for both my novels. I think that I've written some pretty good darn mysteries and that they deserve a good review, but then I'm the writer. ha ha
charysma_lilly
Favorite Author: too many....
Currently Reading: Before I Fall
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charysma-lilly.html

Post by charysma_lilly »

@moderntimes Thank you for your insights! I'll keep these in mind. :)
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

I always try to help newbie reviewers and writers here.

Although I'm no big name in books, I have 3 professionally published novels under my belt, plus a lifetime of writing for pay, short stories, articles, newswriting, and book & movie reviews for a major daily. So I try to share experiences as I can.

Just keep plugging away. It will click and you'll be fine.
pjswink
Favorite Author: John the Apostle
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pjswink.html

Post by pjswink »

I read the reviews, an honest review will sound like an honest review.
Much like reading anything, you can glean the writer's intent even from a review.
Most people DO NOT write reviews, so what inspired the ones who did to take the time?
Reviewers who actually write what that spark of inspiration was (good or bad) within the review are the
ones to which I pay the most attention.
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Good comment, pj. Regardless of where a review is posted, it can be gleaned from the content whether it's an honest one.

But too many 5-star Amazon reviews are posted by volunteers who may not have even read the book, and the number of stars as well as the number of favorable reviews can be a plus for an author, even if undeserved. That's the main problem with Amazon reviews.

So everyone, please post lots of top reviews for my books there, okay? ha ha
PaulaSofia
Currently Reading: You
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by PaulaSofia »

I wouldn't say I trust them, but I do read through some just to get a general opinion. I also try to take notice to see if it's a verified purchase or a bunch of the writer's friends (occasionally the case with an indie book) But then I also look through B & N, Goodreads and I'll google the book in general as well. In the end I usually go with my own opinion
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

It depends on how many review there are and what the reviews actually say, good or bad. If there are only a few bad reviews, I look at what they say first. Sometimes it's a case of the book not being the person's reading tastes or one thing in the book that annoys the review. If there are only a few reviews and they are all over the top with praise, I wonder if they are written by friends and family members. Sometimes this is apparent with people admitting they are a friend of the author or other references that make it obvious they are family or friends.

I tend to trust the 3 and 4 star Amazon reviews (out of 5), at least where they are less than 10 reviews.

-- 22 Jan 2016, 11:37 --

Oh my, I need to proofread my comments before posting. :shock: :shock2: :doh:
Note to self: Don't type comments on a tablet before having a second cup of coffee, and make sure to proofread.

-- 22 Jan 2016, 13:53 --
moderntimes wrote:Thanks, Scott, for checking into the situation.

We authors would all like to have terrific reviews posted in all venues. It's just a fact of life that Amazon is the most significant avenue to sales and popularity, despite this forum being a terrific one, and one which I totally agree, should require that reviewers read the book.

As you may know, I've asked those here who've read my 2 novels to post a review on Amazon, although I've specifically not asked for any favorable comments, just a fair review.

Incidentally, we know that Alynn writes books, but there are other authors here. Why does your sigline specifically mention her all the time? Just curious?
Very good point about it being a fact of life that Amazon is a well-travelled path to sales and popularity. Good luck with your book sales!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Metka
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 80">Mutant Message Down Under</a>
Currently Reading: Forever in your Embrace
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-metka.html

Post by Metka »

Yes, If I depend on the fact that the review is true. That way the author can notice, if anything needs to be changed,.. Maybe there is just the published 'design' that needs some changes,... Because, the authors of the longer books, such as novels, certainly would like to know what people actually think about their books,.. Some people like that, others this,... You can never satisfy all... It could be just a word or a sentence that a reader would not like,.. All is possible.... Or he would not like the end of the story. Or he would be amazed how wonderful the book turned out to be,.. Every author needs good reviews in order to sell his work,.. Off course,..You have to look at the matter from both perspectives - the author's and the reader's....
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

If the review is literate and points out specifics from the book, exact reasons why the rating is high, then yes, I'll accept that review as likely honest. If the review is just gushy and lacks details? Not so much.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”