Do You Trust Amazon Reviews?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Do You Trust Amazon Reviews?

Yes
48%
No
52%

Total votes: 79

chasity81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Re: Do You Trust Amazon Reviews?

Post by chasity81 »

I do not trust all replies and reviews. I know some are real obviously because I hAve written some, and I am sure that option isn't set aside just for me. However, I know companies that actually hire people to write those reviews for good money. I have to say that explains a lot about the phony sometimes repetitive reviews for certain products or products by the same seller. To be fair, Amazon would not be the first IF they did it. I love Amazon and have been with them since the beginning.
Pineapple Sunset
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pineapple-sunset.html

Post by Pineapple Sunset »

Since I purchase many of my books from Amazon, I read reviews before making a purchase. I find these reviews very helpful.
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by lily_kh87 »

I enjoy reading their reviews but I don't really trust them. When I see a book that I never heard about before having a lot of 5 stars, it just doesn't convince me.
annelamb
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelamb.html

Post by annelamb »

I agree with Scott for sure! I am more likely to trust an Amazon Review if there are tons of reviews for a book. When there are a lot of reviews, the dishonest reviews get diluted and the true review of the book can be deciphered.
ArsenicCookies
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 292">Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone</a>
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arseniccookies.html
Latest Review: "Just a Few Inches" by Tara St. Pierre

Post by ArsenicCookies »

I tend to prefer reviews from people I know and trust. There is a select community of reviewers that I read that have been spot on. I usually skip to the mid level reviews first. they tend to be more honest about why they couldn't give it a high rating.
Latest Review: "Just a Few Inches" by Tara St. Pierre
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

Well I think whatever forum you use to see reviews you need to be careful. I mean I used to trust Goodreads' reviews but then I saw that an author wrote a review of his own book and his was the only review so it was marked as getting 4 out of 5 stars but that doesn't seem fair if the only review is the author! :P
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

I was just thinking along these same lines before I saw this post! I just finished an Amazon review on a book I recently reviewed on here. I had given the book 3 stars both on here and on Amazon. Most of the reviews, however, were only 1 star. The reasons were absurd. One was because the reader didn't realize that it was the first in a series and proceeded to say all series are pointless. To top it off, the title of that book clearly says it is the first in the series. So no, I definitely do not trust Amazon reviews. Not when they aren't even reviewing the actual content of the book, and the reader can't read the title correctly!
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

If someone chooses to read a book and then review it on Amazon, that's great! However, most people will only read the books that they are generally interested in reading that book. Often times, it seems like the negative reviews get kind of lost in the mix with the positive reviews, which is kind of annoying when I'm trying to find the good and the bad.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

To a certain extent, I trust book reviews. If their from a genre that I don't usually follow closely, I'll skim through the reviews. If I'm familiar with the topic, I won't even bother looking at the reviews. Then again, I like the idea of liking a book because I read it, and not because someone else recommended it to me. I often research the author through their Facebook account and website to glean their writing style. Some authors provide chapter excerpts that allow me to decide, and I think that this method gives me more to consider than a review.
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
dosenron877
Currently Reading: Route 66
Bookshelf Size: 439
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dosenron877.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dosenron877 »

Currently, I trust the reviews only to initiate a process. Many times I read reviews of a book by Amy Cross after it is newly published. I have been a first reviewer at least once. I am not a relative of Amy Cross, I don't know the person, I like the books.

For unknown authors, I look at the number and quality of writing in the reviews. I don't look for academic quality writing but comments such as "Yo, youse gotta read dis" will keep my finger off the download button.

Then I download the Amazon sample. If, and this is extremely frustrating, all I get in the sample is the table of contents (TOC), I pass on the book. It might have been great, but I will never know that.
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I agree with you Scott. I don't trust it if it's someone I don't know and all the reviews are short.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
greywalker
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ndation</a>
Currently Reading: The Mysticism of Paul the Apostle
Bookshelf Size: 133

Post by greywalker »

I'm ambivalent when it comes to Amazon reviews. I'm encouraged when a book has a lot of lengthy positive reviews, but that doesn't mean I'm going to like it.

I've found that when it comes to Star Wars books, I frequently love the books that all the reviews on Amazon says are the worst. So I definitely don't trust the reviews when it comes to Star Wars.
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Yes. i always buy books or other items after going through reviews only
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Emmanuel Cassimatis
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Emmanuel Cassimatis »

I think the more reviews a book or product has, the more affordable reviews are.
But it depends even on contents, if reviews contains in-depth analysis or motivation, then it could be more trustful.
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

I have started writing some reviews and posting them on Amazon or Goodreads for a variety of books. Some of them are due to requests of authors or being provided an ARC of a book in exchange for a fair review. I will say, I am new to the book review game so my review numbers are small. I do hope to continue to review so I will be making a concerted effort to provide quality reviews on these sites as well as on this site.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”